1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" Plasma TV help needed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Chris78, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Chris78

Chris78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am wanting to buy a 32" Plasma TV, budget around £1400.

So far i am swaying towards the Hitachi PD5200 however I am totally confused about what the difference is between that and other sets such as the Sharps or Sonys.

I also like the look of the Pany 32LXD500 - even though it is an LCD - I want to watch football and other sports, probably just terrestrial TV for the time being and so thought plasma would be better.

Any aid in helping my decision would be much appreciated

2. dobbo78

dobbo78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the Hitachi pd5200 for a week now. The picture with a decent scart from my Sky+ box is fantastic, with a progressive scan DVD player it's absolutely amazing.

It was bought under the advice of the owner of an AV sales company. His words were along the lines of nothing else comes close for the money. Plus it's HD ready.

It's available for about 1150 delivered - leaving you plenty to get a progressive scan DVD player and some decent cables.

3. Chris78

Chris78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Dobbo,

looks like I may well be investing - will buy a freeview box too since it does not have a freeview tuner.

I am a little cncerned with only one scart. I have VHS, DVD, Playstation, and Freeview to desl with.......what do you do?

4. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think its HD ready unless they have brought out a 32pd5200H. I think Hitachi do a V good 32" LCD though which is HD ready.

5. Chris78

Chris78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is HD ready which is a good thing -

I am concerned about the lack of connections though, one scart leaves an ignoramus like me wondering how I am going to get the best out of the hardware I have (VHS, Freeciew box, DVD, Playstation)

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Chris, AFAIK Hitachi do the only 32"plasma, the others being LCDs. Very much a matter of taste between them. If you need something with loads of connections, you could look at a LG LZ32PZ50, 2 scarts, video, s-video, component, HDCP DVI socket. HD ready. I don't rate the picture as spectacular on scart, but then few things like this are. It's good on DVI and component. The TV tuner is a bit pants too, but then you've got freeview, so that may not matter.