32" Plasma or LCD?

S

simmondsan

I want to go out and buy 32" flat screen this weekend budget is approx £1500, I have been looking at the Hitachi 32PD5200 which is nice but a couple of people have said that the 32LD7200 which is LCD is actually just as good as the plasma and has an hdmi input which the PD5200 doesn't have is this right? can the LCD picture quality be as good as the Plasma?
Also if anyone else has any other constructive suggestions as to what I should buy then please feel free to add them (but don't just run down the hitachi's I have read some previous threads so I know some peoples feelings towards them!!)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The 32PD5200 (which is an old model) doesn't have HDMI and isn't HD Ready whereas the 32LD7200 has HDMI and is HD Ready.

As for which has the better picture it's very subjective as LCD and Plasma pictures look quite different, some people prefer the look of the LCD picture and other prefer the plasma so go for the one that looks best to you.

HTH

John

Not HD ready? I understood that it was or at least has the right capabilities for hdtv. So are there any 32" plasma's that are HDTV ready? I don't have the right space for a 42"

Head over to this thread (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203405&highlight=32ld7200), it's really long but does discuss the Hitachi 32LD7200 in detail.

As JohnDon pointed out, it is a matter of taste and personal preference, I've got the Hitatchi 32LD7200 and my friend has the Hitachi 32PD520 and he now wishes he could get the LCD screen!!!

Have a hunt and if all else fails go with your gut instinct.

Thanks, by the looks of things it is pretty much the best LCD around for the money, however I really would prefer a Plasma, are there any 32" Plasma that are HDTV Ready (for UK Sky)?

I am sure there are plenty of experts in the field of Plasma and LCD, I can safely say I am not!!. I am in the position of purchasing a plasma or LCD next week, and I need help in really understanding what I should be looking for. I will be hooking up Sky to the tv and I am also looking for a wall mountable set. I have around 1500 to spend, but will stretch it (a little) if there is something I should be aware of. I keep seeing info regarding Pixels over 1 million being the best, and also high definition stuff. Just a little bit lost in the whole jargon thingy. This is my first post and would appreciate any help. Cheers

For Simon..., & Russ...... i joined the forums to find out about a plasma (at that time there were no large screen LCDs) but didn't indulge after reading all the fears over longevity & picture problems. Now they're so much cheaper & the technology established, I believe the choice is less critical. It seems to a greater or lesser degree, you get what you pay for. Go to a reputable dealer (some offer cheap or inclusive extended warranties) & get the one with a picture you like. I saw the 37" LG HDtv in Dixons & the picture looked bl**dy good & in John Lewises the array of flat screens was v impressive with (for my money) little to choose between either technology. In the past the LCDs seemed to lag in ultimate picture quality, but I can't see it now.
Now I'm whipped :D & will buy only when one of our Tvs need replacing. :(
I'm leaning towards an LCD, (my 'new' Pc monitor is a huge improvement in PQ over the old (a £650+ 15" TFT, all those years ago! )) but still very much undecided (hopefully they'll all be cheaper still when I buy). My advice then, see what you like the look of then check the forums to see what anyone else thinks about the hardware & the dealer.

The 32" PD5200 cannot be sold as HD Ready because it doesn't support the screen display of 720p at 50Hz, which is what Sky are suggesting they will use for their HD broadcast.

But there are no HD set top boxes yet and the standard still isn't set in stone, various manufacturers are in discussions with Sky to get them to offer greater support for displays that don't support that display setting.

As for picture, LCD Vs Plasma, personally I found that even on a new LCD I could easily see the loss of detail whenever the image started moving around, the detail returned when it became still again, this doesn't appear to happen on plasma.

That said LCD has a lot going for it, but I went for Plasma and I'm very happy with it.

When I started my quest for a new TV I was looking for a 32" LCD. That was largely based on my belief that plasmas were expensive (£2k plus) and that screen life and PQ was not great. LCD's were the new technology that did not have those problems. We bought a Panasonic LCD for our kitchen and loved it.

However, after lots of research on this forum, and viewing lots screens (and you have to be careful in places like JL because they dont use the same source material for all the sets and that can result in wild different results) I came to the conclusion that the PWD7 at £999 was the right choice for us. And I have to say I made the right decision. I love the panel :D The PQ does vary depending on what SKY channel we watch, and even between different progs on the same channel. But overal the PQ is great.

No probs with sports, football, motor racing etc, as others have reported.

Rich

The Hitachi 32" PD5200 cannot be sold as HD Ready because it does not support 720p at 50Hz - However, I have just spoken to the shop where I bought mine from last week (they are an authorised Hitachi service dealer), having rasied this with them. They have spoken to a Hitachi tech bod who advises...

If, once Sky have absolutely and concretely fixed their HD specification, the set does not support it they will offer a circuit board upgrade so that 720p/50Hz will be available through the DVI connection - there will be a fee, but I've no idea what it would be.

OR, Sky may yet allow their HD boxes to be configured by the user so that 720p/60Hz could be used OR 1080i at either 50 or 60Hz (which the set does support).

So it's looking good for anyone who owns this plasma - and it really is a bit of a good'n!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom