1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" Plasma or 36" CRT

Discussion in 'TVs' started by GadgetObsessed, Dec 11, 2002.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +624
    I was considering buying a Sony 36FS76 (£1450) but having seen some rave reviews of the new Hitachi 32PD3000 (£2500) now I'm not so sure.

Is a 32" plasma worth twice as much (once you include a nice glass stand) as the CRT?
    Most of my viewing will be Sky digital - only 10% is DVDs and I dont have a DVD player with component outputs.

Any recommendations? (My wife has ruled out all other 36" CRTs on aesthetic grounds.)

2. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have an FS76 after many Sonys and I love it.

I had the similar dilemma....but plasmas still don't seem to rival CRTs in term of picture quality and have there own technical immaturity issues. At more than twice the cost - I couldn't justify it.

Matt.

3. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the 76 and a friend of mine after trying many sets at 36 inch ended up with the 42in TOSH plasma (panny clone).
    It is excellent and cost hime 3200 with stand. If I had the money there is no choice, but I don't. It is gemetrically faultless and is massive and thin and looks fabulous, the pic ain't bad too!
    BTW the sony guys came to sort my TV yesterday, 2hrs 15mins, I will post tommorrow , once I'd had time to check it this eve.
    There are some inresting things about the set to relay.

4. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    mattheu, I would appreciate that.

Matt.

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77

Feed a descent plasma a good video supply and you will be amazed. And your probably love looking at it all day long, even when its off!

I had the 36" sony and had only one gripe with it, geomatry. The picture was on a tilt, even after trying every menu correction tool I could not solve it and neither could a sony engineer. After four months they took it away. Now I use a plasma I will never look back and nor will you if you choose wisely!!!

6. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember, on top of the price of a plasma your looking at 500 - 1000 quid for warranty which is a must on plasmas I reckon.

7. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I won't go into the problems of plasmas as they are well covered in the plasma forums, but I hear slight flicker,noise,contrast and more... Granted CRTs have more "pot-luck" in getting a perfect one but if you do - think of the '000s of pounds you saved.

I quite fancied the Pioneers but they come at a price! :( I could buy 5 or 6 FS76s for that!

I guess it depends on how important you consider space, looks and the new plasma technology.

Matt.

8. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +624
    Dan110 - One company quoted me over £1000 for a five year guarantee on a plasma! If I do go down the plasma route I will definitely buy it on a price match from John Lewis and get a free five year guarantee. (Checked yesterday that they guarantee plasmas for 5 years as well as normal CRTs.) Are plasmas very unreliable?

Snowman - Does Sky Digital count as a good quality source for plasma? I am more interested in how good this will look than the quality of DVD playback.

9. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    £1000 for a 5 year guarantee is pretty good i'd say.

Oddly i find the free to view ITV digital box has an excellent picture, but ntl cable is dire but have not tried but would imagine sky to be very very good to. It is on a friends box. I have moved the position of my screen and upgraded the ariel and analogue pictures are stunning (well, for analogue they are)!

I don't know any people who have had any problems with picture/visual component issues yet and plasmas do seem to be reliable. Only issues i've heard about are on this forum and they pretty much all seem to be noisy fans. So buying a fanless model is a absolute must.

It's very difficult to judge a plasma from a 20 minute demo in a busy shop, or even a demo room. You have to sit with it for a while to really see how amazing and spectacular the pictures can be...