1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" Pixel Plus demo

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by beavis, May 12, 2002.

1. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All

Had a demo of the 32" Pixel Plus, have to say I was very impressed and compared it to the Panasonic Pl10 and the Toshiba Picture Frame, both were lacking in detail and picture quality compared to the Philips.

Owners who already have them, would you recommend one or should I wait until the new tube comes out?

To be honest, I don't care who makes what tube in the tv as long as it's a decent picture!

What ever I order this week, I promise a full review will be submitted as soon as I receive it.

Cheers

B.

2. PrinceOfEgypt

PrinceOfEgypt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey dude, the philips is pretty lame...the picture is not all that, and it has various problems!!! so good luck if you want to buy it...
    because i dont know what all the fuss is about!!!

3. ums69

ums69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P+ with Quintrix F is great, specially playing DVD. (36"PW9767)

P+ with HD Cybertube should be even better. Why not wait until june when 9527 are planned to be introduced and with HD Cybertube.

4. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 36PW9607C P+ kicks the living dangly bits out of any other TV ive seen or demo'd.

Highly recommended.

Spike

5. PrinceOfEgypt

PrinceOfEgypt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I will be buying the Hitachi C36WF830N, i dont like being ripped off by Philips when they put Panasonic tubes in their tvs...
    Im certain the Hitachi is better than the 36" Philips, first of all it has DTS!!!

6. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may have a pana tube in it - but its still a better picture than any other TV ive looked at.

If your not going to buy a set just because a company wasnt upfront - good luck in your quest for a TV.

As for hitachi being better than a Philips - when has Hitichi ever been anything but second rate ?? so it has DTS big deal, i buy a TV for its pic, no TV is every going to give out a good sound from tiny little speakers.

Spike

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem with the Panny Tau tubes is they're not actually flat..... they just put a flat bit of glass on the front to make it look flat....

Also, they have those characteristic dark 'strips' on the edges of the tube.... that drives me nuts...

I couldn't tolerate a Panny tube for these reasons.

I wouldn't care what make the tube was so long as it looked good .... but Panny tubes are inferior to Cybertubes and don't cut the mustard IMO.

Be careful letting DTS influence your decision, PrinceOfEgypt. At the end of the day, unless you're gonna feed DTS through a proper amp+speakers set up, I see little point. Dolby Digital will suffice (possibly even Dolby Pro Logic). DTS didn't make you happy with the Panny you bought did it?

Spikeyboy is right about picture quality being the most important thing here - if your TV sounds great but looks $hit, you're gonna be mightily pi$$ed off!! I know I would be...... ;)

8. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    I agree with Spikey the PP is an amazing set for picture quality and if you are having a true home cinema setup you would never only use the sound that comes with the TV anyway so whether it has DTS is pretty irrelevant.

Also Prince, I notice you have already had a PB50 then a 9617 and both of these have been sent back as you were not happy, perhaps even with the Hitachi you will find something wrong, the problem is no matter what you buy there will always be something better that comes along and annoying niggles with what you have bought, at least that is what I think and can be honest in saying every TV, Amp, Speakers etc. I get I can always fault them somehow, I am not sure that being able to say a Philips set is rubbish just because it has a pana tube in really justifies this logic however, if you don't like it fine but arguing the point on a component within the set seems a little churlish.

Hope you don't mind an alternative take on your comments and I hope that when you get your Hitachi you will be happy with what you get.

PS Thanks for your posts on Sound and Vision as Roy there very nearly sweet talked me into making my purchase from them and only your post stopped me so cheers for that :)

9. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies. Actually went to JL yesterday and was ready to order when I was told that it was out of stock and it would only be available in 4-5 weeks! AAAaaaarrrggggggghhh!

I'm tempted to wait until the Cybertube, but being without a decent tv in a new house is doing my head in and I've got visions that when the Cybertube TV is out, there will be problems with that too!

Has anyone got any information about the Cybertube? How do we know if it's gonna be any good? Are there any TV's in Europe which already have a Cybertube?

TV buying nightmare continues!

10. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Nictry and Spikey .

I have the 9617 after having the dreaded scroll barred so called flawed masterpiece sony fq 75 (gave whole Sony set up to my Bro)now scroll bars or not the Pixel Plus Philips beats it hands down the picture is excellent def better that the Tosh and I suggest as with any TV people who go to look at it make sure it has a good feed as any of the guys in the know on here will say a great TV will only look worse from a bad feed as it shows every detail .

Beavis
    I Bought this TV the week it came out I went to John Lewis but they hadn`t even heard of it so I took my life in my hands and I bought it from Empire Direct they delivered it in 3 days and everything was perfect as far as i was concerend.
    I don`t advocate Interent buying for big stuff but credit where credit is due and i used my card so it was cool (£300 cheaper too)but remember you don`t get the 5 year gaurentee so weigh your options .
    I don`t know if this helps but I just thought id tell you my experience and I searched for a year it really is a great tv.
    4 SCARTS !!! i`m in heaven

11. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Savage - Thanks very much for your feedback. I will probably get it as soon as JL has stock as I quite like having the 5 yr warranty as a backup!

Fingers crossed that they get stock in soon!

Thanks.

B.

12. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Savage - Thanks very much for your feedback. I will probably get it as soon as JL has stock as I quite like having the 5 yr warranty as a backup!

Fingers crossed that they get stock in soon!

Thanks.

B.

13. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem Mate .

I agree its good to have the back up as this Forum proves .

14. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I looked at the 28" 9617 with a Philips tube, and it didn't look to be any better than the Pana tube generally although geometry probably is a bit tighter. That may be more to do with the tube size, presumably things do get more difficult as you go up to 36". These sets are selling fast - my first choice supplier had them in the mornig, sold out after lunch.

Was away most of the weekend, and came back to my 9607 last night. It just gets better and better. The Tosh that Prince is going for is a fine set and I wish the 9607 had some of the features that it has, but where it really counts for me on a TV - the picture -nothing gets close to the Philips PP sets for less than £2k IMHO.

One thing that amused me - there's a separate registration card for the tube which you have to send off within 15 days, or 30 days according to the second page of the form. Surely the tube is coverd in the main guarantee? And it says - register your Philips colour tube. But I have a Panasonic tube, so do I send the form to Panasonic?
    :rolleyes:

15. PrinceOfEgypt

PrinceOfEgypt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im going for a Hitachi not a Tosh! Im not impressed by philips P+ the picture looks really over processed! On another note is it possible to get a RGB extension cable, whereby you can plug more than one RGB source??? Thanks

16. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And it says - register your Philips colour tube. But I have a Panasonic tube, so do I send the form to Panasonic.

that really is crazy Philipb really does make you wonder if these companieseven read there own literature.

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a Scart switch box from Argos or elsewhere.

18. arifn1

arifn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want a cybertube go for the 28inch 9617 - it's in mine. Deeply love this tele - even my wife thinks it was worth the money. We both make TV programmes and I can tell you we are fussy. Don't wait for the 9527 as it only has 3 scarts (the 9617 has 4) - I know you can get scart switching boxes but they are just clutter. Also the 9527 has Dolby pro logic not Dolby 5.1 like the 9617. I got my 28inch 9617 from Hi Fi Confidential in Victoria (london) for £969 including stand - free next day delivery negotiated too. Try them as they seem to have good stock.

19. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Sorry Prince - I meant Hitachi. You're a hard man to please if PP doesn't impress you.

Enjoy your new set.

20. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's it then, I'm gonna wait until John Lewis get stock then order the 32pw9617.

After researching tv's for the last few months, I should hope I don't get a lemon!!!

Regards

B.

21. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw Pixel plus for the first time in JL last weekend.
    Was showing Harry Potter DVD and I have to say the picture WITH PP looked terrible compared to the normal picture on that same TV.

The demo mode split the screen in 2 to show how PP enhances the images.

But everything looked artificial and there was horrible texturing all over the background and what appeared to be nasty ghosting effects around the outline of everything.

I'm convinced by the concept now but I would hope for some way of adjusting the noisiness of the picture.

That said, the salesman was totally hopeless. He said that the only 2 modes were with PP and without, that there was no kind of noise control or anything else which may soften the image. He said there was no way of changing from 100Hz either.

Not sure whether to believe him since he earlier tried to convince me that "normal" mode on a Sony FX65 meant 50Hz when it clearly wasn't.

Where can I go to get a decent TV demo if the salesmen in JL are so useless?

22. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thats total crap for the Philips PP - it has 3 modes for PP (100hz, Double Lines and full PP) on top of that it has active controls for things like sharpness, contrast, colour, and a few other bits (setting of Off, Min, normal, max) plus it has Digital Noise Reduction.

All i can guess is that they had DNS turned on and maximum active control, probably had standard sharpness turned right up as well.

Pop back in and ask for the remote and have a play yourself :)

Spike

23. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Good news my retailer rung to say the 36PW9607 has come in and will be delivered on Friday, let's hope I don't eat my words with the quality of this TV when it actually turns up:cool:

Mind you I will be glad to see the back of the horrendous 32" Sony they loaned me, I was gobsmacked when I did the latest THX Optimizer tests on it as on the geometry the left to right must have been at an angle of 15-20 degrees and was missing about 2 inches off the left of the screen, how the hell does a sony set pass QC with such ridiculous settings, in addition the converegence on this set is almost laughable with the 10 o/c news the picture box behind the newsreader is totally bent all the way down the left hand side whereas the right hand side is perfectly straight!!!!

I am sure this must be a bad example but I am so glad I was not influenced by the glossy displays surrounding the new Sony sets as whatever people say about Philips and Panasonic tubes I cannot believe that anyone with this quality on their sony set could honestly say it was acceptable!

Oh well rant over :rolleyes:

24. PrinceOfEgypt

PrinceOfEgypt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nictry...Just to point out something regarding sound and vision.
    I bought a Panasonic 32PB50 from these people over a month ago now, when i initially enquired about it Roy was very helpful and everything was delivered.
    I was not impressed by this sets sound quality. I asked if i could return it, with the help of this forum i was able to do that and exchange it for the Philips 9617.
    The Philips had a number of faults and fair play to sound and vision they are giving me a full refund which i hope they will refund to my card tommorow. They are not even charging me courier costs...
    So lets be fair, they have done all they can do, and i appreciate that. It is not fair to put them in a bad light, as i said before when service is bad we should point it out, but when its good we should also point it out...
    I would like to say thankyou to Roy, and in all we do lets be fair...

Thanks...

25. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Prince, I totally agree with your view, if you got things sorted then that is great news, I guess the problem with forums is they gives people a chance to air their grievances and generally the bad ones get picked up on rather than the good ones!!

Having said that looking through some of the other forums and newsgroups Sound and Vision do seem to get some pretty bad press, in fact the words, 'Trading Standards' and 'Legal advice' seem to be used a little too often for my liking.

As you will see from my earlier post just because I was 'sensible' and used a high st. retailer doesn't mean any better treatment and in my case I would say the phrase 'total contempt' comes to mind in the way Currys tried to stitch me up, still lesson learnt and I for one will not be going to back there in the near future (or long term future!!)

Anyway hope you are happy with your new set and here's hoping that one day buying a new telly will be as easy as choosing which digital TV provider to go for ;)

26. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spikey, I suspected as much. I tried to figure it out myself, but the "menu" button on the remote wasn't working.

I asked about Dolby noise reduction and he mumbed something about stereo!!!

He really was hopeless, but he was supposed to be the best they had to demo it!.

Like I said, although the way it was set up made it look awful I AM convinved of the advantages the technology offers. All I need now is to see it in action properly. But where??

27. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do you live ????

Spike

28. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stevenage

29. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, as I'm sure many of you have guessed, I was in Harrod's today. Once I had finished salivating all over the vast quantities of Plasma Displays on show including a five-footer L.G. which was amazing.... and cost £15000! I enventually got to do what I endured the Picadilly Line for. I saw a Philips 9617. My first impressions are good, the set appears to have a good picture which is enhanced nicely by Pixel Plus. The display model of course had a Panasonic tube, but to be honest, I don't care as long as the image is good. The bloke demonstrating it naturally knew NOTHING about the TV other than how to activate the Pixel Plus demo... couldn't play with the remote as much as I wanted as the batteries were running out. Geometry in 4:3 mode was reasonably good. I did however notice that the picture was tilted to one side... I hope that the service menu has a rotation option! Does anyone have any idea when we will see Cybertube versions of this set? To be honest, I'm not interested in Dolby Surround that comes with the newer pixel plus sets and would prefer built in Dolby Digital so that I can minimise my spend!

Sorry for the long post, but I just thought I may be able to get some more comments on the set :D

30. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The bog standard set up menu has a tilt option - no need to go into the service menu for that :)

Spike