1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" Philips9830 v Pana500?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mthreaders, Oct 18, 2005.

1. mthreaders

mthreaders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all just looking for some advice between the best 32" LCD

I really like the pixel plus 2 and ambilight features but the price is alot more than a panasonic. The ambilight feature seemed really cool when i saw it but is this just a feature that lose its apeal after time?

I have a panasonic dvd recorder with hard drive and feel like a pana tv would be good foe picture quality and use of the q link feature.

would really like to hear peoples thoughts on this philips versus pana battle :lease:

Thanks
    Matt

2. mthreaders

mthreaders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please let me know any thoughts on the above?

3. marinecommando

marinecommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The 32PF9830 just won the What hi fi product of the year - their opinion is that the picture and features are that much better than any of the competition that it fully justifys paying the extra.

4. mkoehler

mkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 32PF9830. Its absolutely great! Stereo Ambilight is not just a gimmick that loses its appeal time after time!! Its much more comfortable and just gorgeos. And the Philips in my opinion is more stylish than the Panasonic.
    Don't forget with the Philips you get a twin tuner and more cardslots (plus 2xUSB) than with the Pana. ... And a motorized swivel stand (OK thats a gimmick, but a cool one!) :rotfl:

Q-Link is the same than EasyLink form Philips. Both technologies are compatible. You won't have any difficulties linking the Pana Rec an the Philips 32PF9830!

5. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And agree, seeing both next to each other in the flesh, 2 minutes ago, Philips owns the Panny (feed was 1080i)

6. mthreaders

mthreaders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments

looks like the philips wins it then

7. mthreaders

mthreaders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments

looks like the philips wins it then

8. mthreaders

mthreaders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Jaggers

Jaggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bah! I've spent months looking through this forum and had finally whittled my options down to the Pana500 (TX32LXD500) and the TX32LXD52. Now there is ANOTHER contender - having read through the info on the 32PF9830 on the Philips website, this LCD looks seriously impressive.

I like the sound of the 8ms response time and the Pixel Plus 2 technology.

It seems they also include a wall mount, and these can be pricey to buy separately, so that helps offset the higher price tag, IMHO.

It also seems to include great connectivity - the only thing lacking I think is a second HDMI connector - but hardly any have this.

Reading the product specs PDF (hope this link works...)
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pf9830_10/32pf9830_10_pss_eng.pdf
    it seems that it also has an ethernet port on the back... can someone explain why this would be useful?

10. Jonti

Jonti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Pricerunner, the cheapest Philips is £800 dearer than the cheapest TX32LXD52 though. Sounds like a big price differential for a relatively small performance gain (if any).

11. mthreaders

mthreaders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i noticed the ethernet connection and thought why do ineed that?

but the media card reader will be great for my digital photos!

and then there are 2 usb connectors again why would i need these??

12. Jaggers

Jaggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed on the media card reader - I was going to mention the USB connectors too, but didn't want to look too ignorant!

The only time I've seen Ethernet being mentioned within A/V context is when we're talking about home-grown media servers. Any ideas on why the USB and Ethernet Port are useful on an LCD anyone?

Jonti - £800 is a big price difference... though I'm trying to persuade myself that this is the screen I want. I was looking at spending about £1700 at John Lewis initially on the Pana500, so for me £1850 or so (pricerunner prices) for the Philips isn't too bad, especially considering it includes a wall mounting bracket, ambi-light, vga-dvi cable etc. But why no 2nd HDMI connector <grr>

13. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    At least the Philips gives you two digital inputs (be it 1 DVI and 1 HDMI - just as good as having 2 hdmi really). Most manufacturers only give a single HDMI input.

The Philips is good value for money imho considering its performance, technical prowess and features i.e. 2 digital inputs, multiple USB, easy software upgrade, motorised stand, wall bracket, stereo amblight etc. And picture wise it will easily beat most of the competition hands down. The Philips is also a good quality build and looks well designed/constructed when compared to some other brands.

The Ethernet port only comes on the 42" of course. Could be used for software upgrades, web browsing, remote control etc etc.

Of course there is no reason that the USB ports cannot be used as means of connecting to your broadband internet etc. It would simply be a case of Philips releasing a new version of the firmware + plugging in an 802.11 bridge into the USB port.

14. Jaggers

Jaggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RE: the USB ports, I found this buried within the Philips website...

"Instantly view and share your movies, photos and music. The Memory Card slot will accept cards of type Compact Flash I and II, Memory Stick, SD Card / Mini SD Card, Smart Media, Micro Drive (up to 2 GB) and Multi Media Card. Simply plug the memory card into the slot at the side of the TV, and access the multimedia files stored on the card. The USB connector allows access to multimedia files of most USB-sticks and most digital cameras (USB memory-class device)''

Great that it supports Mini-SD as well as SD. So I can display content taken on my mobile phone too.

Chambeaj - what makes you think Ethernet only comes in at 42"? Unless I am mistaken it appears to be present on the PDF offered with the 32" model (see URL given earlier - second page of PDF). It is a good point you make about the 2 digital channels.

15. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    The 37" has no LAN port. And the technical specs/comparision tables shown on Philips web site confirm that only the 42" is equipped with ethernet. Seems a little silly to me given how dirt cheap a LAN port is (probably a couple of pounds at most), but thats the way it is.

Here's the link to the comparison table:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...R&fhquery=fh_secondid=37PF9830_10_GB_CONSUMER

Personally the lack of LAN port did not worry me. As I said there is still scope (if Philips provided new firmware) to connect the TV to a wireless LAN via the USB port.

And if you really want to use the TV with an internet connection, the obvious choices are:
    Connect your PC via DVI
    SKY HD
    or an XBox 360

Regards
    chambeaj

ps. The Ambilight is definately not a gimmick imho. It makes the viewing the screen a much more pleasurable and relaxing experience imho (conteracts eye strain).

16. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
  17. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm going to try and test these two TV's with my modded xbox @480p/720p. Still searching for an LCD that doesn't blur with games....

18. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    The 37" is the fastest at 6ms

I confess I am not a gamer though and have no console with which to test the sets gaming capabilities. Have watched one or two bits of football on SKY - cannot see any lagging/after images or smearing. The latest Philips seem to handle fast motion very well.

Of course (as you suggest on the SONY thread) next years models will be an entirely new ball game given the rate at which advances are being made.

19. marinecommando

marinecommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just seen a 32pf9830 sold for £1549 inc vat and delivery, so not that much price difference - i will let everyone know where from once i have made sure i have mine :D

20. mthreaders

mthreaders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well hurray up i want one at that price!

21. mthreaders

mthreaders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the best ive found so far is £1668 inc vat and delivery from ebuyer.com