32" or 37" on tight budget

gdbagley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So, thinking of getting the in law a new TV. She has a 26" CRT at the mo and I'm looking at getting a 32" with the possibility of a 37".

The main usage would be for Sky and DVDs/Blu ray, with occasional gaming from PS3, Xbox and wii (but not hardcore games).

I've got a budget of £300ish

Now, what I thought would be good is if we could get her a Smart TV (mainly for the catchup services - iplayer etc) so I've been looking at the Sony CX520/3 range.

Obviously I'd like to get a 5yr warranty where I can, would that TV be a good choice? Or should I not bother with the Smart functions and get a cheaper TV and a separate box, or use the same amount of cash and get a better TV?

Can anyone recommend or warn me off anything?

Thanks

G

I'm also looking at pushing the budget to this one:

SAMSUNG UE32D5520

Its an LED TV, so thought it may be better? Now, that would be stretching my budget very tight and don't know of anywhere that would be able to do it with a good warranty!

Any suggestions anyone else? Better TV with no smart functions for less?

Thanks

G

That "LED" is an LCD with LEDs round the edges providing the backlight - this can cause clouding/backlight bleed - any LCD can get this but the edgelit LEDs are more prone

Read reviews and go demo and decide which you like most for your budget. Both the Sony and Samsung are decent

If you want good value and a reasonably priced or free extended warranty, Richer Sounds and John Lewis are good bets (but not the only ones - just avoid Amazon, Currys, Comet, Argos as they'll sting you on the warranty)

That "LED" is an LCD with LEDs round the edges providing the backlight - this can cause clouding/backlight bleed - any LCD can get this but the edgelit LEDs are more prone

Read reviews and go demo and decide which you like most for your budget. Both the Sony and Samsung are decent

If you want good value and a reasonably priced or free extended warranty, Richer Sounds and John Lewis are good bets (but not the only ones - just avoid Amazon, Currys, Comet, Argos as they'll sting you on the warranty)

So the Samsung is LED backlit? I can't see that mentioned anywhere, so very sneaky if that's the case, in fact, richer sounds have don't have it down as a backlit screen.

Samsung UE32D5520 | 32 inch LED TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

If it is an LED screen would that be better?

It has LED backlight yes, but round the edges, not full backlit, so not really sneaky - there are very few full LED backlit TVs at the mo - and they are at the top of the range

How do you mean - if it is an LED screen? there is something called OLED, but only small screens and major pennies. The edge LEDs are what allow the very slim screens and lower energy consumption - but not without a compromise

Read this...if only post #9 from Phil Hinton (a pro reviewer/calibrator)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...about-fantastic-radically-new-technology.html

Last edited:
Thanks very much, my brains getting a bit muddle for some reason (first day back at work maybe)

I meant the lighting on LED lit screens, but you've already provided a nice response to that!

I may pop up to Richer Sounds when I finish work, they're not far. See what I can see and maybe try negotiate a price down for one of the TV's I like.

I'm not fussed about Freeview HD so the CX523 isn't a big deal, so I'd prefer to save some pennies and go for the CX520, at limited stock I can't see it being possible....maybe they'd meet in the middle somewhere if I took the warranty!

The limited stocks are limited to certain stores - is your local one listed?

Good luck!

Popped into my Richer Sounds, didn't have many on display for my price range and all the guys were busy. Rang them up on the bus and they do have the Sony in at £320.

May see if JL will price match them at £320 - get the warranty for free...not sure if it's best to call them or just go in..

Email a price match request - probably be against the RS price with warranty and possibly delivery

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom