Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

32 or 37 does size matter?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by gavinhunt`, Nov 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. gavinhunt`

gavinhunt`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Having read the many reviews and postings here (thanks for the help) I’ve finally decided to go for the 9830 as my new HD TV to accompany Xbox360 and Sky HD when they arrive, but which one? My viewing distance is 2.5-3m depending where I sit so it should be the 32PF9830 size wise according to Philips/What S&V etc but the 37PF9830 is true HD 1920x1080? What does this really mean and should I be concerned about this for the future as both (I believe) can display 720 or1080i anyway or does the 37 have an edge over the 32 even if it’s a tad too large from my room?

The age old question, does size really matter and will my view experience be impaired by either choice. Both I believe will support all of the new world HD toys.

2. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is not true HD...
    It does not accept 1080p, only 1080i...

2,5-3m I would say that 32" would suffice, but bigger might be better when HD rolls in, and then 2,5m may be suitable for a 37"...

3. mana23

mana23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have exactly the same “problem” and I have not decided which size to go for.
    This model is also rather big for it’s screen size and this is another thing to consider. Price of course is another issue :(

Besides that I’m not confident that SD will look great if distance is too small. Picture might be too soft...

My viewing distance will be almost the some as yours, maybe few centimeters less. One way to calculate distance is 3x screen size. 32” this is 80x3 and for 37” 94x3...

Let me know what you will decide and your reasoning behind...

Attached Files:

4. gavinhunt`

gavinhunt`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Mana the deciding factor I think will the when I move in the next few weeks (hopefully) and get a feeling for the new layout, long thin lounge going into a dinning room does not really lend itself to optimal set up I fear. If possible I think I’ll try to go for the 37 but as you have said I’m concerned about SD viewing. Will keep you posted.

Daxie does the 37 not take 1080p either or is the difference I was missing? I haven’t heard of the 1080p before, sky/xbox etc is only touting 1080i or 720p. I’m assuming p is progressive and i is interlaced? Is 1080p a long way off?

:thumbsup:

5. ricki1980

ricki1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    I bought a Hitachi 32LD7200 the screen is amazing and is very big for a 32 Inch, alot bigger than it seems in the shop.

However if I am honest with myself I kind of wish I had waited for a viable 37 inch HD Ready LCD screen as it does feel cinema, however not quite as much as I wish it did, if that makes sense.

Just have to now work on selling the benefits of having a 32 inch HD ready LCD screen in the bedroom to the other-half, and then I feel a 37" or 42" being bought however im waiting for 1080p set's as my Hitachi will deal with Xbox360 and SKYHD however PS3 is due next year and well - I guess im a sucker who cant stand the thought of not being up to date!!

6. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I wish I had of gone bigger than 32"... and thats in my bedroom!

7. bren.wright

bren.wright
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends where it's going to go really, if its in a tiny room then a 37" will look daft.

37" I agree will look stunning when the arrival of HD happens (eventually)!

8. Peritas

Peritas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its the same question that keeps going round my head...

If I go for a 37" then I can only really afford the 37WLT58

32" then it's the 32WLT58 or 32PF9830..

I have about 1.7 - 2.8 Metres viewing distance... Depending were I sit.

Had the money ready for weeks just cant decide. And Sky + is being fitted Nov 17th... tick tock..

9. chochoc

chochoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find 32" is just about right for me, sitting between 2.3 - 3m away. Looks best for normal TV at 3m, fine for HD and upscaled DVD abit closer up :) . Bear in mind the 32PF9830 has a massive frame / border round the actual screen size. So in a small room can look quite large anyway..

10. wiseman

wiseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends if you want it for watching TV or movies. I have 37 in a smallish flat. Maybe for watching newsreaders 32 could be easier on the eye but I'm happy with 37. For movies etc the bigger the better, I wish I had a 42!