32" monitor as a streaming TV?

Vyncenze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Looking for a 32" screen for the kitchen. We don't have an aerial so it's just for use for streaming netflix/prime etc and my thinking is to use a firestick or similar to hook it up to the speakers we already have in the room. Since all 32" TVs appear to be rubbish, is there any good reason not to just buy a half-decent 32" monitor and control it entirely via the streaming stick? It's a bright room so I guess just the highest cd/m2 rating I can find and an IPS panel? Any downsides?

Cheers

Yes, monitors have no picture processing at all, so will generally look worse for video content than a TV. However as you say there are no high quality TVs, so if you consider a high end monitor it may beat TV in picture quality because of other reasons (colour, brightness local dimming etc).

The brightest you'll find a 32" TV will be around 300nits, which isn't very bright by todays standards, but still as much as 4x brighter than some older Plasma TVs. For brighter conditions TVs that use IPS panels tend to be better than those with VA, so going for the 32" LG or Sony is probably the best option.

Thank you. Since posting I've been looking at the BenQ 3280U which seems to tick all the boxes for a decent screen - obviously it's twice the price but if I can find a used one around £300 it seems a good bet?

I don't know much about monitors but a quick google shows it has good colour accuracy and coverage, and uses an IPS panel so its likely suited to your situation.
It is still quite dim, but the same goes for TVs this small.

Thank you. Yeah it looks like big money to go much brighter than that

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom