1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" LCDs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ajt, Aug 5, 2004.

1. ajt

ajt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've narrowed my shortlist down to the Sharp LC32GD1E and Philips 32PF9986. Both about the same price. Similar level of connectivity etc. Both look good in different ways. So, it really comes down to which is the best to watch however I can't find anywhere local (Surrey) that can do a back to back demo. Has anyone been able to do a comparison of these two LCD's?

I'll be using Sky+ mostly as the input and plan to get a decent DVD, maybe DVI capabale, in the near future.

Thanks for any opinions.

PS, if anyone else is confused by the sharp range, the following helps
    Aquos

2. remdude

remdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just purchased a 32" Viera Panasonic LCD, and its fantastic, you can pick them up for £2150 on the net. It doesnt have the DVI input, but has compenent, 3 scart, 2 of which are RGB.

I havent had a problem since i've bought it.

It has an excellent picture from Sky and my pioneer 575 DVD player.

The look of the set is pretty stylish too, it also has a SD and PCMCIA card input as well. It may be worth considering if you cant be bothered to wait for the Philips.

3. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick note on the comment about on waiting for the Philips....why do you say wait remdude? There are stockists that have thses already and are available. In addition, the latest Philips are the upgraded LCD's which are much improved over the first release.

I am in the process of buying the 9986 and after much research (on the net admitedly), it seems that Philips make the best LCD's. One thing that made me re-consider (still getting the Philips though) is that the Sharp LCD's are the only ones at the moment on which you can change the bulb. The others die when they die, but still last a very long time.

Just to give you an idea, the Sharp bulbs have 60000 hours lifespan which at an average of 5 hours a day viewing everyday works out to 35 years lifespan, by which time I guess other components would have failed and you'd need new tv anyway.

Hope this helps.

S

4. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    It's a minefield out there isn't it!

I went to Selfridges about a month ago and compared the Sharp LC30AD1E , the Phillips 30PF9975 and the Panny Veira. Although they weren't all next to each other (that would be too easy :) ), in my opinion the Sharp had the best PQ. It was a close call though. What puts me off the Sharp is the massive A/V box that you plug your kit into.

Trouble is I'm going to have to do the same again with the current generation of screens. By the time shops get all the contenders in, the next models will be announced :suicide:

5. remdude

remdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If the Philips was readily available when I bought my Viera, it would have been a very difficult choice. Thankfully? it wasnt, so the choice was partially made for me (I had been watching a ferguson 14" portable for tooooo long).

Does anyone know the repsonse time for the Philips 9986?

I dont think they will be much between them all three we have mentioned, I guess it may come down to how it looks and inputs in the end.

6. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remdude, what exactly do you mean by 'response time'? :)

S

7. remdude

remdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont know the exact defination, the viera is quoted to have a 16ms response time, and I have been told the quicker the reponse time the better, at a guess it could be more of a reaction time, i.e how quickly the pixels react to the information sent to them?

Anyway, Viera is 16ms, I think i read that the sharp is 10ms, so I was just wondering what the Philips was.

If i am way of track, somebody please tell me.

8. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry not sure but I am curious to know too. I guess this 'response time' would be something to do with smearing and tearing evident on some LCD's.. :confused:

S

9. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Response time is the time it takes the individual pixels of the LCD to change state, the measurement is usually from white to black so faster (lower number) the better. The trouble is that different manufacturers measure in different ways and sales pitch ‘enthusiasm' is prevalent. :cool:

10. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The responce time for the Philips 32PF9986 is 12ms.