32" LCD with DVI-HDCP and HDMI?

LadFromWales

Hey all,

I know I will probably be shouted at for posting questions that have probably been asked before, but since I started browsing this forum, I have got more confused than ever about which LCD to go for. At first I was going to go for the Dell 26", and found that its SD quality is poor, so I looked elsewhere, and found the new Video7 32" and the Humax with DVB tuners and 40gb HDD, but looking into these, I've found that they offer poor support for PAL sources, and generally lower quality picture.

I then turned to my all time favourite television manufacturer, Panasonic, but found that they don't manufacture TV's with DVI inputs.

So basically, I am looking for a 32" LCD with DVI-HDCP, Component, at least 2 Scart sockets, good picture quality from SD sources. My mind has gone blank now, I just can't think straight with all these different TV models flying around my head.

I am looking to spend up to about a grand, but could possibly go a smidgin over if needed, well I was willing to splash out on the Panasonic TX32LXD52 until I found that it didn't have DVI-HDCP.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated :lease:

M

mkoehler

Well. The Philips 32PF9830 have HDMI, DVI-I (with HDCP), Component, 3 Scarts, S-Video. Twin Tuner, Ambilight :D , motorized table top stand, great picture quality with PAL sources, enormeous picture wih DVDs and of course HD.
Only drawback: the price! It's about 2300€ in Germany, and about 2000 € in Switzerland. I think in the UK the price is about 1500£. :mad: I'm Swiss and I got one :hiya:

Dan Gleebitz

Don't bother mate... I've made a few posts on here similar to yours and I've either had no reply or someone telling me to do a search.

Most of the people on these forums are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. It's only someone's opinion after all.

Go down to Comet, Currys or any other place that has LCD's on display. Compare, look at the specs and features of each one and decide for yourself which one you prefer.

The most useful information on these forums is YOUR OWN opinion.

LadFromWales

Aye, but if I was to pop into a local Comet/Currys, i'd have to put up with sales persons with the lack of any useful information. Every time I go there, they tend to know nothing.

I came here feeling happy to spend £600-£800 on a 26-32" Video7, but reading these boards has made me think that the picture offered by these are inferior to the big brands like Panasonic, Samsung, JVC etc.

I really don't want to spend much over a grand if I can help it, as it's main use will be Xbox360, output from my PC, Freeview, and Sky in the future.

There is just too much out there to choose from when you know little information regarding modern televisions, some have this, and some have that, but I can't seem to find a TV that does the lot, with good picture quality across all inputs, even if the source is SD.

I will pop into Comet and Currys, Comet first as get discount there....but I'd rather know what I'm looking for before I set off, otherwise I'll just get lost within all the choice, and buy something that ends up being rubbish.

S

smallmanongn

Dan Gleebitz said:
Don't bother mate... I've made a few posts on here similar to yours and I've either had no reply or someone telling me to do a search.

Most of the people on these forums are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. It's only someone's opinion after all.

Go down to Comet, Currys or any other place that has LCD's on display. Compare, look at the specs and features of each one and decide for yourself which one you prefer.

The most useful information on these forums is YOUR OWN opinion.

Also bear in mind though that people get a bit fed up answering the same sorts of questions time and time again.
Whilst people here are a help ful lot there is a limit to how many times you can say the same thing again and again before it starts to get on your nerves.
And yes it is very important to go see these things for yourself,just cause a few people think "A" is the best doesn't mean you wont prefer "B"

RockySpieler

From what I have read the LG 32inchers may suit your requirements:-

LG 32 LP1D (freeview tuner):-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237400&highlight=32LP1D

LG 32LX2R (analogue tuner):-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240823&highlight=lg+32

according to the threads other TV's may be better on SD material, and have better blacks, but the LG's handle HTPC inputs at 1:1 pixel via DVI-D, DVI-A, and HDMI (PC mode), which is pretty rare.

According to other posters the LG's at Comet normally have a dedicated stand and are fed HD content, so be careful if you go to check it out. Ask to watch SD feeds, hook up your own DVD player, or laptop, it is a lot of money to spend on the basis of someone opinion or post.

LadFromWales

Took a quick look at those LG's, they do look nice, although the iDTV model is coming up at about £1400 after a quick google, perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places?

I see that it has both HDMI and DVI-HDCP which is nice :) Two Scarts should be ok, afterall, in the future they will be less and less used...Composite, Component ins too, and S-Video, and a card reader! sounds nice, but I don't like the prices I'm seeing at the moment.

The TV does look very nice too. I am generally a person that prefers the speakers to be underneath the screen, as having them on the sides adds needless width to the TV, making it take up more space than is really needed. As I have a multi-channel audio setup, speakers on TV's are rarely ever used, unless I'm trying to keep quiet at 4am or something :) But, the LG looks bearable, I like the combination of silver with the black.

I do like the addition of DVB tuners in the LG 32 LP1D, although I could get by with just a dual tuner freeview hdd recorder.

Will look into these some more though, as they look promising!

Anyone have any more information on these LG's or any other 32" panel? A DVI-HDCP and HDMI connector would be ideal, or several of them. But then, there are converters so that DVI devices can be plugged into HDMI connectors, and vice versa, yes?

RockySpieler

HDMI and DVI (HDCP) are interchangeable BUT lack of 1:1 pixel mapping and overscan, plus rescaling are more likely with HDMI. HDMI do not normally allow analogue DVI-A input, and normaly have a separate VGA. Also the Digitial EDID do not always list the complete resoltions possible, its a minefield check out these thread:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241384&highlight=pixel+mapping

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256731&highlight=pixel+mapping

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253404&highlight=pixel+mapping

You can see why members get fed up answering the same question though, try using the search facilities, there are tonnes of threads with great information. US site AVSforums.com has even more techie stuff, and again a good search facility.

You need to decide what sources you are going to use.........XBox360, HTPC, SkyHD, freeview PVR, Upscaling DVD player etc....Some TV's are better on certain inputs, others are alrounders. VGA input is popular for PC use, the Samsung's have particularly good VGA mode (according to the threads). I only have experience of my LCD, just watched the incredibles 1080i it was "incredible", need to play with the de-interlacing on VLC though.

LadFromWales

Sources will be, Xbox360 and Freeview for the timebeing, and Sky HD when it is released. I would also like to hook up my PC to it too, probably via VGA. None of this seems to be a problem with the LG, which is nice.

Took a look at the links you give though, and it appears that LG and Hitachi LCD's are the only ones that can do 1:1 pixels over DVI and VGA.

I have been searching over the forums all day, so I am 'trying to use the search facilities'. It's just that by searching, you end up digging up vast amounts of information, that makes trying to settle on a model even harder. By searching on these forums, I am now looking at spending twice as much as I was before!

I would prefer an 'all-rounder', as I'd only get annoyed if I hooked something up through component and it looked poor, yet it was decent on a different model, heh. The LG seems to suit me, suprised I never looked at it before..its probably the fact that in the past, I've not had good experiences with them.

S

smallmanongn

LadFromWales85 said:
Sources will be, Xbox360 and Freeview for the timebeing, and Sky HD when it is released. I would also like to hook up my PC to it too, probably via VGA. None of this seems to be a problem with the LG, which is nice.

Took a look at the links you give though, and it appears that LG and Hitachi LCD's are the only ones that can do 1:1 pixels over DVI and VGA.

I have been searching over the forums all day, so I am 'trying to use the search facilities'. It's just that by searching, you end up digging up vast amounts of information, that makes trying to settle on a model even harder. By searching on these forums, I am now looking at spending twice as much as I was before!

I would prefer an 'all-rounder', as I'd only get annoyed if I hooked something up through component and it looked poor, yet it was decent on a different model, heh. The LG seems to suit me, suprised I never looked at it before..its probably the fact that in the past, I've not had good experiences with them.
I am no expert but I connected my laptop to the LG,set it at 1366x766 (something like that!) and it looked great.
I think the biggest limiting factor is the 16MB in-built graphics on my laptop but with just "normal" use it was fine but if I tried to play some of the Windows Media 1080 demos they ran very slow and jumpy.
By the way with the LG you get leads to connect to your PC included.

F

freekb

LadFromWales85 said:
Took a quick look at those LG's, they do look nice, although the iDTV model is coming up at about £1400 after a quick google, perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places?
Nope, £1349 is best you can do at Ask Electronics on tottenham court road in london - which is where I got mine and they have it in stock (rarer than you might think). http://www.askdirect.co.uk/uview?call=ask.productBrowse&id=340&topcatid=20

LadFromWales85 said:
Anyone have any more information on these LG's or any other 32" panel? A DVI-HDCP and HDMI connector would be ideal, or several of them. But then, there are converters so that DVI devices can be plugged into HDMI connectors, and vice versa, yes?

I've had my LG for 2 months now, I'm pretty happy with it, although I only care about it for PC-connectivity. I've never used it to watch a telly broadcast, so I'm slightly under using it. It's basically a very nice secondary monitor to me. :)

The weakest point probably is the black levels in dark scenes, on big dark scenes the black goes flat and slightly greyish. This doesn't happen if the black is part of a colorful scene (because your eyes don't notice due to the contrast difference).

Strong points are: no noise or artifacts introduced by the TV. Stunning, stunning rich color. No blurring whatsoever - great for gaming.
(keep in mind - always when connected to PC)

Would I buy it again - yes. But I'd probably take a harder look at the 32LX2R first, it's pretty similar, except less pretty, no freeview and some other bits and bobs, and goes for 300/400 quid less.

Yes, there are DVI->HDMI connectors but sometimes that gives issues I've heard, but you can get them cheaply from www.ebuyer.com (cheap = beware and keep the cable length short)

LadFromWales

On paper, this monitor looks to be 'the one', probably looking at £1400 shipped to get it here (south west wales), so I'd need to save up a little more to be able to afford it :( My credit card limit doesn't stretch that far either :(

It does look like a really nice monitor though, will have to pop into the local Comet and Currys and see if they have it, very expensive there though, I'd only be looking!

I do intend on using the Freeview tuner, does it have one or two? Xbox360 and my PC, and that'd be it for now, until Sky HD comes around.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, has really helped me come closer to making a TV decision :) Now all I need is the dosh!

Trending threads

Top Bottom