1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" LCD TV - which is the current model to go for ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richard76, Jul 28, 2005.

1. richard76

richard76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently searching for a good and reliable LCD TV to purchase for new home. Which brand & model of LCD TV do you guys recommend and do state your reasons why this is the best among all other brands ?

My personal criteria to look for are :
    - picture quality
    - color resolution
    - relability
    - compatibility with broadcasts stations, DVD shows, and video games

2. craigdyer

craigdyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The model that a lot of people seem to think is best on the market at the moment for what you want is the Hitachi 32LD7200. It has all the sockets you could want is HD ready and has recieved very good reviews.

3. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been researching this round the clock since my Sony 32" CRT gave up the ghost on Monday.

Like you, I am concerned with picture quality, resolution, reliabilty and compatibilty. The Hitachi looks good, but I think I am going to go for the Samsung LE32R51.

It would seem that Microsoft have partnered with Samsung as the "official" Xbox 360 TV brand. Many games will feature Samsung branding and product placement apparently! :confused:

Microsoft are using Samsung sets in demo units and at expos and stuff to show off the 360s HD capabilities, so I assume they must be amongst the best for this purpose. Check out the price and stats!

32", 1366x768, 3000:1 contrast, built in Freeview, HDMI and component inputs, only £900. I saw it today in Currys (they have it for £1200!) It is hard to tell what picture quality is like because of the usual signal split 50 ways problem that these stores have. I'd love to see a DVD playing on one - from what I hear it looks pretty damn good.

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    If i had a choice between the Samsung and Hitachi I would probably go for the Hitachi!

Samsung Plasmas and LCD's always look good on paper, but rarely deliver the good. The Hitachi is amongst the best at the moment and at the prices you can get them for very good value for money.

Who knows maybe Samsung will do the business this time.........

and as for the relationship with Microsoft...maybe Samsung offered more money than other manufacturers to have their LCD's featured with the Xbox!

All IMHO of course

5. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem with the samsung's is the tearing through component @ 60Hz...

Read the topic...

Guess the Hitachi 32ld7200, the Panny tx32LXD500 or the JVC LT32DS6 are amongst the better...

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Ozzpot, the Samsung LCDs have plenty of fans but I could never get used to them. Don't assume Microsoft using them has as much to do with quality as it does with them being readily available at a good price. Especially if this is going to be your first LCD, be sure to buy something with an adjustable backlight so you can tone down the "LCD mist" if you need to. The Samsungs don't let you do this and instead have an Auto Backlight solution which most people agree is a bit shaky.

7. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would you recommend? I like the Hitachi, but it doesn't have built-in Freeview does it? Ir eally want this in a TV. Also, I will wall mount it, so won't use the motorized stand it comes with, but still have to pay for it. It is £350 more than the samsung.

These are the features I want in my LCD:

• 32" or 37"
    • 1368x768
    • Good contrast
    • Integrated Freeview
    • HDMI and Component inputs
    • Good for DVDs and Xbox 360

I would like to pay £1000 - £1400.

Any ideas?

::EDIT::

Daxie, what do you mean by "tearing through component @ 60Hz"? I am unfamiliar with this terminology an can't find the topic you refer to.

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    If you want to pay that much, how would you feel about a Sony LCD?

Sony have the entry-level S-series (doesn't include WEGA engine) or the more expensive V-series (WEGA) coming out. The 32" V-series RRP is definitely over your max price (RRP is 1800 pounds). 1368x768 - not sure if any LCDs have that now, 1336x768 I believe is the standard.

All the new Sonys are available with Freeview built in though.

9. craigdyer

craigdyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1366x768 is the standard / average LCD screen resolution at the moment.

10. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I have checked out the SONY KLV32M1S. It looks like a good TV, and is available for about £1060. I am having a few problems finding detailed stats on it. Most places seem to say "Multi-standard tuner" or something like that. They DO mean FREEVIEW, right?

I will need to take a look at one of these close up methinks. Maybe if there is a 37" I might be tempted.

11. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Thanks - I must have mixed up the "768" part with 1366 in my head!

Ozzpot, the KLV32M1S doesn't have HDMI so stay away from it. ANd no, by Multi Standard Tuner, they mean all the different PAL variants (it can be used across Europe). It doesn't mean it has Freeview.

I have the KLV26HG2 and love it, but am replacing it because it has a 15:9 screen and no digital input. Other than that, it's great.

12. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Am in a similar boat..

I've narrowed it down to

Philips 32PF7520D
    Philips 32PF9986
    Panasonic TX32LXD500

All top notch kit, priced between £1200 and £1600...

13. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Man, I am really confused now. Lyris, the Sony you have may be a great TV, but is obviously not a recommendation as to what I should get. Which model are you thinking of? The entry level one is the KLV-L32M1. About £1200, but doesn't seem to have FREEVIEW or HDMI inputs. The other Sonys look gorgeous, but are double the price.

Do you think it's be worth getting the Hitachi (despite the fact that the motorised stand is an uneccessary expense for me) and just going without built-in Freeview?

I have heard that the contrast is a bit low on the Hitachi, making the blacks not very black. Is this right?

14. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'm thinking of the NEW Sony series - the one I have right now that I'm replacing is the 2004 model. The new range which fixes the biggest problems of the 2004 series is due out very soon. The reason the KLV-L32M1 is entry level priced now is because it's old and is being discounted ready for this years' range.

Can't comment on the Hitachi, although I don't see what would be wrong with it. I've only ever seen it once so I can't really say. Does it have a low contrast ratio, or an overly strong backlight? The backlight can be adjusted anyway if memory serves so it SOUNDS fine, but again don't take my word on that because I don't have it.

15. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scott_Mac, those 3 look superb I haven't researched those before. The Philips 32PF7520D looks awesome, and is a good price, but has a slow refresh rate (18ms). I was looking for more like 12-16ms because I intend to do a lot of gaming. The other one, the Philips 32PF9986 is expensive, but has a very fast refresh rate of 12ms. I can't find confirmation of HDMi sockets though. :confused:

17. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aaargh! I have read the first 13 pages of this seemingly endless thread, and still haven't come across anything other than high praise for this TV. Can someone tell me what the heck is wrong with it so I don't have to trudge through more endless pages...

:lease:

Can someone explain "tearing" to me? I can't seem to get a simple explanation of this.

If this affects Xbox 360 that is important. I am mostly excited about the possibilty of playing Xbox 360 at 1080i output. I need a TV that will do this beautifully and faultlessly.

19. Ian964

Ian964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Also look at the JVC LT-32DS6B - HDMI, Freeview, 7ms response time for about £1360. I'm planning on getting the 26" version.

20. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm with Ian. I'm also looking to get the 26" version nearer November time.

Unless something better comes along before then...lol

21. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527

The JVC LT32DS6B seems to meet your needs, excellent reviews at the moment and available now

22. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to be honest, if you don't want to read a few pages prior to spending around £1000, please...

The "tearing" is related to horizontal sync issues, where you would notice horizontal lines running through the screen.

While the xbox is very prone to this problem, it is most of the times unnoticable. Yet the samsung seems to have big issues with it.

*personally the jvc is a no-go for me since there is no 1:1 pixel mapping for pc input*

23. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    The 9986 has an all encomapssing DVI socket... so you would need a HDMI to DVI convertor (readily available) and off you go...

I actually got to compare the three last night in Selfridges and it was a tough decision - the Panasonic probably just edged it for me as at times i could see a bit too much "picture processing" going on with the 9986... however the actual PQ was stunning and definitely the best... very vivid colour definition etc.

I'd be surprised if you'd seriously notice an 18ms refresh rate on a game... most PC TFT monitors are around 16 - 18 and they are fine with games.. but i do see your point.

FWIW, best prices i've found on the ones i menitoned:

7520 - £1120
    9986 - £1600
    LX500 - £1420

So based on that i think i'm going for the 7520....

24. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a good choice doesn't it, I think I am heading towards the same decision. I've not been able to see a 7520D in the flesh, what do you think it would be like viewing at just under 6 feet away?

25. nasht

nasht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    deciding a good lcd tv today is a bit of a daunting task. Ive broke my 15" sharp aquos lcd tv (bought it back in 2003). I guess six months from now, there would be better choices and options... I hope.

The samsung 32" looks promising as it is cheap but i hear a lot of negative feedbacks on the tv.

26. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How important is contrast ratio? I notice the 7520 is lower than manf. in that price range...

27. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Like most posters above I have been pouring through the hi-fi video glossies for past few months. 3 sets keep turning up:

JVC LT-32DS6
    Hitachi 32LD7200
    Panasonic TX-32LXD500

I like the JVC and it gets great reviews - but then noticed that 2 mags gave the Panny the top vote. It also has Freeview and everything for HD (and component for my old DVD) - the Viera range looks stunning too.

32" is the largest I can squeeze in ....

H

28. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a nightmare, I can't make my mind up... £1700 is just too much for the 9986 otherwise I'd have bourght it already.

29. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    The JVC does Freeview as well, and should also have component. Just checked - it does. There really is very little to choose between the 2 with maybe the exception that JVC mentions 2 SCARTs, Panasonic does state quantity, only that it has it.
    For me, the JVC just edges the Panny, but with new Sharp GD7 (Titanium) due next month, that could all change!

30. nasht

nasht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    tearing is where ure screen is divided into half displays where the lower half gets an image stuck while the top part continues to display image. But one owner of this tv said that it does not have any tearing problems at all... NONE.

This is the best buy as of the moment me thinks