1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" LCD TV suggestions, which one to get?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Mr_Fantastic, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have been planning on getting a new TV for a long time and was going to get myself a CRT, but now I have decided that I might as well get a TV which is HD compatible which I don't believe any CRT's are. So I have decided that an LCD screen is probably the best option.

I would like one which I can connect my PC to and which has a large number of connections (2RGB scarts minimum) and component cables for my DVD. Which is HD ready and can display all necessary display types I could every want. The price has risen quite dramatically, from £500 which I was initially planning on spending on a 28" CRT to £800-900 for a larger 32inch CRT and now to over a £1000, maybe as much as £1500. So I hope it would be worth it and would last a considerable amount of time. I would want a 32" screen.

Now LCD's do have some problems in my perception.
    1/ Dead pixels.
    2/ Slow response time can lead to image smearing and such problems.
    3/ Noises from them can be a problem for some people and most likely would be for me too as I am very noise conscious and often have the TV volume down low.
    4/ Colour display doesn't yet match CRT's.

So can anyone recommend a good LCD display which will fullfil my requirements and make me glad I chose an LCD display? Can anyone put my mind at rest about the LCD problems too. When recommending a display could a pixel response time be included and how it handles fast movement.

2. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have read a great deal of threads, some seem to like the Hitachi 7200 others the new sony Bravia. Would the Hitachi be the best? It does seem to have the connections but I could not find a pixel response time, which I believe it is not that fast, maybe around 16ms. I understand it is the processing that gets around or attempts to get around this.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

3. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    unfortunately there's always someone who's got something bad to say about the TV which is no.1 on your list.

I was about to go for the Hitachi but after I weighed everything up I ended up with a Toshiba 27wl56. (A big sway for me was the price difference, which may not be an issue for some)

At the end of the day I am chuffed with my TV and have no regrets.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    impressions/reviews will help you select a shortlist. But nothing will enlighten you more than taking a stroll down your high street/retail park.

I did that today and I'm relatively happy that I can go with a cheaper set and still get the level of quality I want.

At the end of the day its your eyes and wallet that need to be satisfied.

this place is a good place to start though.

For me, most of the top brands seem to have good sets at the moment. If PC is very important to you, check out some of the PC issue threads here, as that may write off a couple of sets for you.