1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32"+ LCD screen reccomendations and 1366 vs. 1360

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by markav, Aug 6, 2005.

1. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 15 yo 29" Sony CRT tele has started to make occasional loud cracking noises, like EHT discharges.

So I'm looking at what is available, and well-regarded, in the 32"+ LCD marketplace.

Not a lot it seems!

The newish Acer, which the mags loves, gets absolutely slated by consumer reports for a jittery image (why don't the mags notice this)?

One common problem with new kit is that the HD-compliant standard seems to be 1366x768.

But most (all?) video cards don't support that resolution; closest being 1360x768. Close but no cigar and something still has to interpolate between 1366 and 1360 and that often results in a rubbish picture?

Is this really true? Why?!? Can we expect driver upgrades to cope with it?

Suspect that waiting a month or two may be a good idea...

TIA

Mark

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you intended to post this in the LCD forum? If not, I think it's the best place for it anyway!

Ask a mod to move it

3. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair comment. I am looking for a screen to drive from MCE, which is why I asked here.

But I have been and had a good read in the LCD forum, which was most informative.

I'm still a bit confused over the 1360 vs. 1366 horizontal resolution. It seems all HD LCD screens are native 1366x768 but few graphics cards support that. If I read correctly, some screens support something called 1:1 which I /guess/ means they will take a 1360x768 signal and display it uninterpolated, 'wasting' 6 rows of pixels?

Mark

4. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What graphics card do you have?

I have the sharp 37" LCD and the ATI radeon 9800 pro I have in my mce machine supports 1360x768 & 1368x768 after using powerstrip to add the custom resolutions.

Have never really noticed the missing pixel on each side of the screen.

Most nvidia cards also support these custom resolutions.

5. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the ATI Radeon PowerColor 9250. It offer 1360x768 as standard, but not 1366. Also doesn't offer *any* res at 50Hz.

Have read many references to Powerstrip but not d/l'ed it yet.

I will limp on with the Sony CRT until it does pack up, as ever passing week sees more for less.

One thing I'm amazed at is the number of big, expensive LCD screens that only have an analogue tuner. Shouldn't be allowed in this day and age!

6. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Try "latest" ati drivers, I am not 100% sure, if it will work on 9250.

On my ati gfx I initially only had 1360x768 options, once I downloaded the then latest GENERIC ati radeon driver, I had 1366x768 as an option.

This works on my 9500pro and my 9800se aiw, coupled to my TEVION 32" LCD.

btw the TEVION "prefers" DVI-I connection, for EDID handshaking. Using DVI-A (with supplied VGA to DVI lead) you have to boot with different monitor, and then hotswap to LCD. Hence why I use DVI-I, but pq is similar due to TEVION not having 1:1 pixel mapping.......another story.

With 1360x768 the screen wraps left and right, when the mouse gets close to the edge, I found this very irritating.

My TEVION can only accept 50Hz as 720p50 or 1080i50, the majority of PC res's are 60Hz. The ati can give 720x1280 at 50Hz (TV cannot accept 768x1366 at 50Hz), but I need to change LCD mode to DVI-HDTV for 50Hz. To be honest I do not worry about playing 50Hz sources at 60Hz on the PC (If it were easy to setup then I would match frequencies). However other people do have an issue with the frame skipping.