32" LCD reccomendations SD & PS3 usage

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by pocketfox, Feb 4, 2009.

1. pocketfox

pocketfox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

apologies for the n00b-ness of this...but...

Up until the last week i considered myself quite tech savy. Now ive started looking for a new tv im getting quite confused! Im looking for a 32" LCD, just for a bit of TV watching (standard def) but it will mostly be used in conjunction with my PS3...and possibly xbox.

Up untill now i assumed 1080p (or i, i forget which) was what i should be after regardless. Though reading through some of the other threads on such a "small" screen 720 isnt much different from 1080.

My parents have recently purchased the Sony Bravia KDL32U300. Which i have to say im pretty impressed with, blacks looks quite dark & there's very little pixilation on fast moving images. which is important to me due to the gaming side of things.

When ive hooked up the PS3 previously it has poped up with a 1080 message...so im now unsure again about the whole 720 & 1080 deal.

What im basically asking is...is the Sony KDL32U300 much good compared to others. Are there any i should be looking at apposed to this?

Thanks in advance!
    Tom

2. dano7908

dano7908
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would say the panasonic 32 lxd80,ps3 is very good on it and sd viewing is one of the best if not the best in its price bracket.I had my ps3 on a sony 32 kdl s3000 and an lg lcd and i would not compare these to the panasonic. Hope that helps.

3. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    what kind of price are you looking at and how long will you be gaming on it at any given time? also, how many different games do you play? (same questions for SD useage)

4. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    The 32U3000 is a very poor set compared to most you would buy now, in all honesty.

As far as 32" Sonys go I'd be looking at the 32V4500 and 32W4000. Only real difference is resolution, and that shouldn't make a big impact on your viewing, as you stated in your first post. They all accept the same kinds of signals and have the same processing which is much better than found in U3000 and the current V4000 model.

5. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    I was just reminded of an analagy which describes the need for 1080p on 32" quite well;

Imagine your TV as a cake (it's already getting insane i know) with all of the lovely soft and moist spounge containing things like black levels, motion handling and colour, and theres the lovely and creamy icing made of things like 100Hz and 720p resolutions (if you watch a lot of HD material then this is spread out through the whole cake though). The 1080p is like the cherry, but a very expensive cherry. You get people who buy the cherry but dont buy the cake. So, unless you get a really good (and expensive) 1080p TV, it's like buying a cake with a cherry on top...but without the cake. Would you rather have a cake with a cherry, but no cake, or a cake on its own. The 32W4000 is very good and in that sets case you dont miss out on the ingredients much, but you are just paying extra for the same PQ

6. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If your going to use the 'cake' speech the least you could do is credit the author with it: boxrich

7. pocketfox

pocketfox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Thanks for all the posts, i wasnt expecting a reply let along all the above.

The reccomendations are great i'll go check them out this weekend.
    As for price wise, i dont really know. Obviously as cheap as i can get would be nice. but then i dont mind paying more for what will ultimately be the better choice in the long run.

At the moment gaming would be anything from the od 20-30 mins up for a good few hours. anything from platformers to call of duty & killzone 2. i dont know if that helps in anyway Monarch08...

Thanks for all your help!

8. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    I was wondering about game times to possibly recommend plasma but if gaming sessions which last hours are regular then maybe not due to the IR issue, if its only every now and then the LG 32PG6000 is worth a look for a cheaper one (although IR can be a problem in long gaming sessions) or the Panasonic TH-37PX80 which is more IR resistant.

Otherwise though the Panasonics LCDs are very good, by far the best SD picture around. There's the 32LXD80 (or 85 but not worth the extrs £100 in my opinion) or even the LZD80 which is 1080p and still produces a good picture (in this case you get both the cake and the cherry, although 1080p isn't required (it is nice though!).

Alternatively you can go for the slightly cheaper LG's or Samsungs which are also good (I think Samsungs aren't so good with motion though). The 32LG6000 is very good (the 5000 for less, although the 6000 is noticeably better) or even the 32LG5700 which is 1080p too, although the 6000 is better in my opinion. For Samsung go for either the LE32436 or 457 (i think it's those ones, im not an expert on Samsungs)

9. FinnMacCool

FinnMacCool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I heartily recommend the LG 5700 - eye-poppingly vivid colours, every connector you could possibly want, 3 HDMI ports, built in digital freeview, full 1080p HD - and can be had for as little as £400 from some outlets

10. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    I nearly went for that, it's second on my list but I've opted for the LG 32PG6000 for myself as 1080p isn't required at 32" because there is very little difference unless you're really close up, however, the usual 1080p problems on SD that often arise aren't particularly prominant on the 5700. I would say the 32LG6000 is better but if you want 1080p desperately then the 5700 is the best budget one