1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" LCD / PLasma help please

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by common, Oct 6, 2003.

1. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

My sister has asked me to help her purchase a 32" flat screen display. It will be wall hung with a freeview box and DVD player acting as a source. It will need to have built in speakers as she's not into the HC thing yet

32" is all that she wants / needs and she would like to be able to hide the wires with a bit of DIY

Any recommendations ?

Thanks

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your only real choices are Hitachi plasma, sharp LCD or Philips LCD. There is a sony one but it's no better than the Hitachi and costs more. I like the sharp, but that's just me. Also, it's 30" not 32 if that matters vastly. There is a Iiyama 32" LCD with optional speakers that couls use a digital STB as a tuner. Not as 'all in one' but pretty acceptable I'd have thought, and maybe cheaper and better. The others all have external tuners anyway.

3. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thnaks - The Toshiba 32WL36 also looks pretty good - any comments ?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Never seen one, therefore no comment to make!

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Philips do a 32" plasma wich looks better than the all the lcd sets(imho) I looked at on friday.

The Philips 32PF9965.

The Hitachi looked pretty good (Hitachi 32PD3000).
    I am after one for the front room and will just use it for watching tv (I have a dedicated room for films/gaming) and think I may well end up with a Panasonic TH-37PA20 just because I dont like the idea of paying as much for a 30" or 32" as you do for a 37" or 42".

There isn't actually that big a difference between the 37 and 32" sets, as far as the pysical size goes.

Let me know what your findings are if you see some sets.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Common where does your sister live?32" Phillips plasma external tuner built in speakers with wall bracket and table stand for <£3k other choice is Sony! Tosh or Sharp (30")

7. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    She lives in Abingdon (South Oxford) Her budget is £3K for display, DVD, VCR and Freeview box which I think is 'do-able'

8. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have the Hitachi 32 inch model (widely available for £2500) and am very happy with it. The Sony 32 inch plasma is not suitable for wall mounting as the tuner is built into the screen housing.

9. sabre2

sabre2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've had the Philips LCD and the Hitachi plasma in recent weeks.

Philips: contrast really is a dire problem - I tried to tell myself that I'd get used to milky grey as a substitute for black, but I couldn't believe it. If you've got lots of inputs, all those wires going into the back of the panel make for a dogs breakfast. The 'charactersistics' of the LCD panel began to grate, esp. the Pixel Plus thing. There's a demo mode to show you the effect, and I honestly misread the 'on'/'off' labels to start with! Everyone looks like they've got bad skin. The supplied stand is cheap and nasty. The menu system is very complicated, and I never did work out what most of it did.

Hitachi: I hate to have to say it [choke] but the plasma fans are right. The pq is an order of magnitude better. Contrast, 'depth', watch-ability all excellent. There's a seperate AV input box, to tidy up the wiring a bit. The AV box itself looks a bit '70s' - maybe intentional? The cloth covering the speakers is going to need careful handling if it's not to get grubby/damaged. The stand is a much nicer affair, and it's ready attached. The menu system is complicated enough, but just about do-able. Manual could be better (but which couldn't?).

I'll be interested to see how LCD develops, but on the basis of my experience with it, I'd be hard pressed to recommend now.

John

10. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    sabre2 - good feedback thanks

11. sabre2

sabre2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually (having just re-read the original message), you'd better check the wall-hang-ability of the Hitachi. The Philips came supplied with a fairly simple wall bracket and template, but I can't recall seeing anything in with the Hitachi - maybe there's a seperate kit. Since the stand was already on, I've not had a good look at how it's fixed/alternative mounting points.

Incidentally, I bought it from Digital Direct who have been FANTASTIC throughout this transaction. Sales, customer support, real engineers who know what they're talking about, a manager who gives a damn, deliveries when they say (twice!), phones answered every time, calls returned when promised.

John

12. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in exactly the same boat, just moved into a new house and been fishing around these forums for a while now looking for whats hot in home cinema. Going to install a full surround set-up starting from scratch while I can still mess up the the house before its fully decorated. I've set myself a budget of around 3K so i'm probably going to plump for a wall mounted plasma to keep space to a maximum and add the wow factor and then see how much I have left over. Seen good reviews of that new jamo dvr-50 and speaker set package for £500 which might tie things up nicely.

I really liked the Philips 32PF9965 especially as it comes with external tuner (less wires to channel into the wall) and free wall mount, the only downside is you can't detach the speakers. very good picture though although didn't see it with sky so will have to re-audition.

I agree with what gizlaroc says about the size difference between the 32 and 37 especially with the panny 37pw5 (if you can find one) which has no speakers and looks the same size as the hitachi and philips.

Other options are:

Hitachi 32PD3000 - have not viewed this yet but gets good reviews on here.
    Panasonic TH-37PA20 - probably too big for my room as I believe you can't detach the speakers.
    Sharp LC-30HV4E - viewed this last night was impressed with the picture on dvd but was not impressed with the viewing angle whatever sharp says and looked a bit plasticy for my liking.
    Panny 37pw5 - last years model and may be too expensive with all the add ons.
    Toshiba 32WL36 - looks nice from the pictures but not seen one on the high street to demo yet.

Obviously i'll be using it to watch dvds but i'd like to be able to hook the pc up to it and get good pictures with sky, especially the footy which seems to be a bit of a concern with plasmas. Can any of you plasma owners recommend any of the above for these purposes.

13. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've seen the Hitachi 32PD3000 many times in different stores and have been continually impressed. Also the fact that it's £2.5K in John Lewis with a 5 year warranty (worth a lot itself) it would get my vote. If I had 3K I'd get that and the Jamo DVR50 package whuuf mentioned!

Saw the new Tosh 26WL36 lcd in JL Nottingham on Sunday and I was disappointed with it; I expected alot but the picture looked very poor. But it could have been the way it was setup I guess.

14. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you had a demo of the jamo leeb? I havn't had a chance to test it myself yet but I'm hoping its as good as the reviews state.