32'' LCD Dilemma - What to buy?

Zoopy374

Standard Member
Reaction score
After returning two series 4 samsungs due to the scrolling lines fault I wont bother asking for a 3rd samsung, been put off!:mad: I now want another 32'' around £400/£430. Any ideas people?:rolleyes:

The Sony KDL-32S3000 is the best at this price range

A lot people have said to go with the sony, very tempted! Wheres the best place to get the KDL32S3000 from?

I think digital direct has it fairly cheap

how big a difference in quality is there between an S and a D 3000?

You only need to get D if you want to view HD movies.

Also, dont spend too much money since you'll be upgreading in two to three years.

You only need to get D if you want to view HD movies.

Also, dont spend too much money since you'll be upgreading in two to three years.

so the S is not good for watching HD movies?!!?

no it doesn't

Sony's motion flow is only effective on 50/60i/p contents (inc games). However, when viewing 24, 24, 30p contents, you'll have to disable it. They also embedded motion interpolation into the motion compensation feature (which is known as 100Hz processing). This can make 25 and 30p contents like 50/60p. Some may see it an advantage, while others (inc myself) see it as disadvantage.

In any case, Sony 100/120Hz processing nowhere near advanced as Panasonic, Toshiba and Philips.

no it doesn't

Sony's motion flow is only effective on 50/60i/p contents (inc games). However, when viewing 24, 24, 30p contents, you'll have to disable it. They also embedded motion interpolation into the motion compensation feature (which is known as 100Hz processing). This can make 25 and 30p contents like 50/60p.

In any case, Sony 100/120Hz processing nowhere near advanced as Panasonic, Toshiba and Philips.

really..
So a HDTV aint good at displaying HD content? especially a bravia?! wow..
what would be the alternative at this price range..
im also looking into the S for PS3 and blu-ray play-back

really..
So a HDTV aint good at displaying HD content? especially a bravia?! wow..
what would be the alternative at this price range..
im also looking into the S for PS3 and blu-ray play-back

I did not say that. All I said was, the D3000 has 24Hz and 1080p input support, which will benefit movies fans.

The S3000 doesn't have 24p support or 1080p input. However, it's still one of the best around. And Sony LCD TVs are generally among best (which is why I bought one), even though their current 100/120Hz method is quite average.

I did not say that. All I said was, the D3000 has 24Hz and 1080p input support, which will benefit movies fans.

The S3000 doesn’t have 24p support or 1080p input. However, it’s still one of the best around. And Sony LCD TVs are generally among best (which is why I bought one), even though their current 100/120Hz method is quite average.

oh ok..cool.

so what your saying is its a 720p tv soo you wouldnt expect to have the higher end functionality such as 24p and 1080p support, which is obviously the case...
soo it still remains a good 720p Tv in that particular price range..right?

thanks for clearing it up...

yes

The D3000 is also 720p (728p) native, but it accepts 1080p and 24Hz via HDMI.

yes

The D3000 is also 720p (728p) native, but it accepts 1080p and 24Hz via HDMI.

mmh, im a tad confused

when you say it accepts 1080p what do you mean?

e.g 1080p content coming through a HDMI cable would beable to output on a 720p TV?? Wouldnt the TV just scale 1080p stuff down to screens native resolution??

sorry for my ignorance

It scales-down the 1080p image to 768.

Here's a quote from my guide,

1080p picture processing on 720p LCD TVs:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Most LCD TVs with standard resolution of 1366 x 768p can only accept two HD resolutions: 720p/1080i, which means, 1080i/p sources either have to be downscaled to 1280 x 720 and up-scaled to 1366 x 768 or, to be interlaced to 1080i, de-interlaced back to 1080p and downscaled to the panels native resolution. During this multi-conversion processes, the final image may become slightly distorted. However, if you simply feed 1080p signal to a 768p TV with 1080p picture processing, it would simply downscale the image to its native resolution. It can even apply complex algorithms to help reduce any scaling artifacts. Plus, the added 24Hz support is a bonus.

PS: The source has to be 1080i/p native (e.g. HD movies, Sky-HD etc…). So don't set your PS3 and X360 to 1080p when playing games since most games are 720p native. (Some like GTA4 on the PS3 and COD4 are below 720p).

So if you own D3000 or similar with 1080p input, do the following:

Games: Set it to 720p (unless the game is true 1080p, like GT5 Prog)

Movies: Enable 1080p, and let the TV down-scale it to 768p.

thanks for clearing it up....

at the end of the day it comes down to budget i guess... more you spend more you get

A lot people have said to go with the sony, very tempted! Wheres the best place to get the KDL32S3000 from?

Have had nothing but glowing reports from people on Cable or linking up a PS3 to this model, and planned to buy one next month.
But I have been to 2 places today and seen it running "Freeview" -terrible-washed out pastel-y colours -complete contrast to other makes nearby. I tried to adjust the pic with the handy set top controls at one place but could not improve picture. Is poor performance on "Freeview" known with this model? Can anyone recommend a similar quality model that performs with "Freeview" well in a good reception area?
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom