Question 32"JVC/vestel POS died- what to replace it with?

FlyingPete

Novice Member
The upstairs TV has died on me. It's a 32 inch 'JVC' model bought from Comet not long before they went under. Was used in the lounge before being displaced by a similar Samsung.

So I'm looking to replace it with something new for downstairs (and relegate the Samsung to a secondary TV). It gets used for Sky, built-in freeview, PS3, VCR (both playback and occasional recording from the TV's tuner) and PC input. Not too bothered about super-ultra-uber-HD or whatever the current term is. Maybe slightly larger screen though. As said I occasionally record to VCR to avoid clashes with the Sky box so the option to set a programme timer would be useful but not vital.

Any recommendations for anything good value? Don't mind paying a bit more if it means it won't break on me ☺

FlyingPete

Novice Member
Old tech I know, but I still have the VCR hooked up for watching a few things so it made sense to use it. ☺ Current TV is a 32 inch, probably no more than 37 to avoid overpowering the room. I tend to archive stuff to PC via a capture card and then maybe copy to USB so I can edit out ad breaks and be sure it will work in something other than the original recording device.
Max viewing angle is maybe 30 degrees.

Dodgexander

The choice is 32 or 40/43" right now. Check the dimensions of TVs on manufacturers websites, bezels are a lot smaller now so you might be surprised how easy it would be to fit a 43".

But given you don't need wide viewing angles I would look no further a Samsung 43M5500.

Not sure why I didn't mention it until now but without having some kind of converter or input switch you are not going to be able to use a VCR with a new TV, none of the new models today have composite or scart inputs like they used too.

I tend to archive stuff to PC via a capture card and then maybe copy to USB so I can edit out ad breaks and be sure it will work in something other than the original recording device.
with the know how you can do this automatically, I do it on my Humax PVR box running custom firmware, it cuts out ads automatically.

I would consider ditching the VCR and updating your sources, if you need a good featureset for recording buy a good PVR like a Humax, otherwise you may find just attaching a USB drive to a TV is enough for you.

be sure it will work in something other than the original recording device.
Since you can't use a VCR and TVs will no doubt copy protect the content you record to a HDD then your only option really is either to run custom firmware on a PVR that automatically strips it for you (similar to the ads) or forgo recording completely and just use on demand TV/youtube or more modern sources to obtain what you are planning on recording.

Dodgexander

I just had a quick search and I found some TVs at lower sizes from LG, Sony, Hisense and Panasonic that still have composite connections which you will likely be able to use for a VCR.

None of the Samsung models do though, which is a shame because the M5550 will give you the best PQ.

Probably one of the Panasonic or Sony models will be your best bet then. They won't give you as good PQ overall but they seem to use composite connections, its only the very cheap or smaller sized tv's from vestel brands that seem to still have scart sockets.

I have no idea how you are going to be able to record on the VCR though, no TV can output to a VCR for recording as far as I know.

FlyingPete

Novice Member
I found a couple of 32 inch Samsungs which have the inputs I need so that might be the way to go. It's not just for the VCR - that could go via rf after all- but also a PS2/ nintendo 64 and a couple of other older bits. So need at least a Scart input.

Dodgexander

@FlyingPete which models? I saw there are models released of a few years old they still seem to be selling, but I have no idea how good they are from a PQ perspective..they may be worse than 40-43" Panasonic/Sony models that have at least composite inputs.

Problem with small TVs is there are next to no reviews, so no one really knows how good one is from another.

I guess if they are the only tv's that have the inputs you need thats the only option, short of switching everything through an AV receiver or processor.

FlyingPete

Novice Member
I was looking at a T32E310 as an option. Scart and side composite inputs, ARC on one hdmi input (to simplify sending the TV audio back to my surround receiver) so should be suitable?

Dodgexander

Wait. You have an AVR supporting ARC? Can't you just switch your devices through that?

What AVR do you have and what devices do you want to connect?

So far you could:
N64 > composite too AVR https://www.amazon.co.uk/AV-Composite-Cable-Nintendo-Black/dp/B000RJOAP0
VCR > scart too composite adaptor to AVR https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-Composite-S-Video-Audio-Adapter/dp/B006RBMJ46 - you can get full wires too.

...any other sources?

Then just switch everything through the HDMI on your AVR.

Then you just need a TV with HDMI ARC and you could up-size to the 43M5500 which will be much better for you than the 32" Samsung that's a couple of years old. You really want to go bigger if you can.

FlyingPete

Novice Member
Can't remember the exact model (it's LG) but it only supports video through its 3 HDMI inputs- all other sources are audio only. It currently receives PS3 and sky through two of the HDMI inputs and TV sound is routed via optical.

FlyingPete

Novice Member
This is quickly sounding expensive. The question is, why have manufacturers stopped including inexpensive but useful legacy inputs on new TVs? Maybe to convince us to spend more money when our older kit doesn't connect?

Dodgexander

Supply and demand and a bit of that yes, they want you to spend more money, but its also becoming increasingly rare that people are still using analogue connections.

I think since I have been posting regularly on here I have had you and maybe one other person post looking for a TV with a scart socket.

Trending threads

Top Bottom