1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32 inch TV - Retailer model numbers

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by truckid, Jul 24, 2005.

1. truckid

truckid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking for an inexpensive 32 inch tv, all I'm after is a decent 50hz picture and RGB scarts are a nice bonus. I had narrowed it down to the Tosh 32z44, I esp. like the design, the speakers underneath make it look more 'compact' than other 32 inch tv. But looking through the forums, it would seem that the coil/noise seems to be a common problem, so I'm reluctantly looking for another model

What I can't understand is all the variants of model numbers, quite a few of which aren't reviewed. For example, digitaldirect have the JVC AV-32T67 (too big/ugly), Currys have the JVC AV32H5SK for only £400, and also the JVC AV32T77SK. - All these models are 'exclusive' to retailers and don't appear on the the JVC website, though are very similar to others

What does this mean? The manufacturer make some 'sub standards' models, which they offload to the various retailers, should these be avoided?

At the moment I'm leaning towards the JVC AV-32T5SK, its a current model on jvc's website, 'compact design' and under £400 from digitaldirect. I just can't find any reviews on it! The philips 32PW6518 also seems reasonable, though abit dated

Its like a minefield, too much choice has got me all confused. Please help,

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not really.
    The concept of different model numbers on exclusive tvs is to help reduce Currys / Comet being used as a showroom for people to road test products before buying off the internet. It doesn't mean the sets are inferior - or better.
    It also helps independent tv dealers sell their stock - as these can be claimed to be newer models without price matching others. This doesn't always work but the indies usually have the last laugh when internet buyers can't get their telly fixed by the mail order dealer - they tell them to get stuffed. :D

If you are looking at 32" crt televisions similar to the models quoted - you may like to check out your local ASDA or Tesco. Reason being the actual non-brand tvs often have the same Vestel chassis used by Toshiba, JVC, Hitachi and others. :cool:

3. truckid

truckid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the enlightment.

On the subject of the Tosh, there have been a few problems on the coil, but this could well be in proportion to the number sold? I know the best is always to 'test drive' the tv at the store, is there any sort of geometry test card on a dvd i can get ?

I like the look of the JVC AV-32T5SK,apart from the obvious home cinema choice website, is there anywhere else I can find a review? Does anyone have specific info on the tv's im mentioned in previous post. Because the model number vary slighty- is it reasonable to assume that if looks/specs are exactly the same as the 'official' model number it gives the same performance.

Also I have noticed some varients are 'stripped down' i.e. less scarts, inferior sound system/speaker etc

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes.
    That particular JVC model you like is a Turkish Vestel.
    From memory I think ASDA have a Pacific brand tv which is essentially the same set but slight cosmetic differences. :cool:

5. truckid

truckid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It gets worse! As well as a multitude of very similar models with different model number, alot of the cheaper ones are churned out vestel in turkey! But's its true for alot of product/industries I guess. You pay a premium for the reputation of an IBM Thinkpad (before Leveno) to realise its made by the same taiwanese factory as a cheap Dixons own brand.

How do you identify which tv's are not made by vestel ? Apart from the cheaper jvc, amongst others. I guess 'Made in Turkey' is abit of a giveaway, but you can't always get country of origin before you buy it. You get what you pay for, so for example a 32 inch less than £600/700 is likely be outsourced?

someone tell me the philips 32PW6518 isn't a vestel set, is it ?

This is not getting any easier.

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    They usually have Made In Europe ID - I haven't yet seen Made In Turkey.
    If you like JVC - their 100hz - 28/32 HD40 digital integrated models are Made In UK - in the old GEC factory at East Kirkbride - excellent televisions.
    The Philips 32PW6518 is definitely not a Vestel chassis - if it was it wouldn't have an LG / Philips tube - Vestel wouldn't want the warranty claims. I really like Philips but the failure rate of their tubes is spectacular.
    Panasonic crts are pretty dismal too - they are Made In Czech Republic - the Czechs are great with beer and guns but not tvs.
    By the way - you may be wondering why I seem to be the only one replying - thats because everybody else is in the LCD / Plasma section these days.
    Everybody can't dump CRT fast enough - including the makers. :cool: