32 inch LCD for gaming and LAG problems!

F

firstzezo

I was going to buy a 32-inch LCD (samsung) which I'll use

for gaming. But after reading some posts it seems that for a 32 inch there

will be a lot of LAG (especially FPS games) .Is this size not good for

gaming? BTW if it has anything to do with my video card I

have 2 8800 gtx cards SLI connected.

Is this just going to be used for gaming?

If so then you'll probably be better off with a regular PC Monitor, faster response times and higher resolution. You may also find 32" a little large as you may struggle to keep up with everything going on on screen in an FPS.

Your Graphics cards can handle almost any resolution you throw at them and would actually be wasted on an LCD TV as you get far higher resolutions with a Monitor.

I would recommend a Samsung 245B for a modest budget, gaming only monitor and a Samsung 275T if you want to spend a bit more for a larger general purpose monitor.

Op could go for a 37" 1080P screen, or the Dell 30" 2500x1900 thingy. SLI on a 1366x768 will be total overkill, and just wasting those cards. A single GTS would be sufficient.

I started this thread summarising some info:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612503

There is no absolute rule here, but IPS panels (Panasonic, Hitachi, LG, Philips, Toshiba) will tend to lag less than VA panels (Samsung, Sony). Sharp use ASV & I don't know about the lag on those, but they are quite popular with gamers on other forums.

100Hz/120Hz is a bit of an unknown quantity - the only tests I can find suggest it increases lag! Also on the Sony 100Hz is switched off by the game mode...

I was going to buy a 32-inch LCD (samsung)

A number of Samsung TVs & monitors have very high lag, though the small TN panel monitors are excellent in this regard. Basically I would avoid Samsung TVs for gaming unless you know what the lag is for the particular model that you are considering!

Turning off things like dynamic contrast & switching on game mode may help - basically do anything possible to reduce the image processing

BTW if it has anything to do with my video card I have 2 8800 gtx cards SLI connected.

Nothing to do with your video cards. Though if you turn off 'v-sync' you may get less lag at the expense of more image tearing:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/632-1/lcds-images-delayed-compared-to-crts-yes.html

With 8800GTX in SLI you should be able to maintain very high frame rate which I believe will help avoid tearing

I would recommend a Samsung 245B for a modest budget, gaming only monitor and a Samsung 275T if you want to spend a bit more for a larger general purpose monitor.

I don't agree with this at all (sorry!) - the 245B is a TN panel & the viewing angles are so poor that unless you sit very far back you will always have either a dark stripe at the top or a bright stripe at the bottom of the image.

275T has quite high lag anyway - seems to be a trait of 'multimedia' monitors as they share similar processing to HDTVs

Icm76, badbob,Ted

thanks guys for your replies they've been very helpful , really.

Icm76, badbob,Ted

thanks guys for your replies they've been very helpful , really.

No problem, but the real question is what are you going to be using it for? Before any truly useful recommendations can be made.

No problem, but the real question is what are you going to be using it for? Before any truly useful recommendations can be

Basically ,I'm going to use it for gaming and I think about getting the Dell 30"

2500x1900 that badbob recommended .(any other recommendations ?).

Well you only have 3 choices for a 30" and the Dell is the best value for money. Everyone who owns one seems to rave about them so doubt you'll be disappointed.

I have a Samsung LE32R88BD for my Playstation 3 is this want you mean or a computer (PC) game

Ted

thx m8 then i should go for Dell 32 inch.

carper-josh

i'm not sure about model number

but here are the details:

cortast 7000:1
resolution 1366x768
2 hdmi ports

SLI is wasted, you might as well rip out a GTX. Either choose

37"-42" 1080p LCD monitor
Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP
Dell Ultrasharp 3007WFP-HC

The last two are standard PC resolutions, so in games it'll show a option as that. In some games you can't select 1920x1080 so you'll have choose lower ie 1680x1080 and stretch it. Some games do allow 1920x1080 though

sorry ,that was a mistake:oops: no wounder you got confused :D

I meant 30 inch Dell.

(I'm looking for a MONITOR) and (I want to get the most i can from my video cards)

37"-42" 1080p LCD monitor

They seem to be VERY EXPENSIVE!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom