1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" IDTV - please help before I do something I regret!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by spl23, Jan 9, 2004.

1. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Hi All,

I'm getting desperate here, and if anyone out there can offer some helpful advice, I'd be eternally grateful.

OK, I wanted to get a 32" widescreen IDTV. I tend to prefer Panasonic, so I bought a TX32DT4. I had three of these before I gave up on them completely - the digital tuner is flakey and extremely slow, but the problems I really couldn't deal with were with the RGB input. RGB pictures were all much wider (2" or so) than pictures from any other source or input, meaning that stuff was chopped off the edges in wide modes. (And you can't adjust RGB width independently of all the other inputs, so there was no way to fix it.) Even more irritating, in 4:3 mode with an RGB signal, there is a green line up the left hand side of the image which is clearly visible from the other side of the room.

John Lewis agreed to a replacement model, so I chose a Sony KD32DX50. Much better digital tuner, the RGB picture is the correct width, and the green line (which is still there for some reason) is an awful lot fainter and can only be seen if you are really looking for it. So far, so good. But....

The flyback whine on the Sony is driving me mad - my ears ring after watching it for half an hour. I seem to recall from my last purchase of a TV that Sony's whine like crazy, and Panasonic understand how to damp this out. I actually used a microphone and a frequency analyser to see if I was exaggerating the problem - with the TV at a normal listening volume, the amplitude of the 15.6 kHz spike is as large as that of the audio you are supposed to hear, and I can't take it. (See attahced JPEG, if you're interested.)

I called the engineers this morning, who said that Sony's are noisy and they won't be able to do anything to fix it. They suggested an exchange, but I've read from at least one other poster on here who has the same problem with a KD32DX50.

Any advice? If I get a KD32DX150, which has 100 Hz, will that get rid of the whine? (On this set, is it possible to switch back to 50 Hz, as I've read somewhere - I have a lightgun for my PS2 which isn't 100 Hz compatible, and I would prefer not to lose the use of it.) Any other models I should try? Preferably ones available from John Lewis, as they've been helpful so far...

Or shall I just give up and read a book instead? This has been three months of grief with products from two reputable manufacturers, and I'm beginning to get fed up!

Many thanks for any advice,

Simon

Any advice gratefully received

Attached Files:

2. guires

guires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon

I'm interested to hear about problems with 32DX50 as I am considering one.

As far as your query regading the DX150 which can switch between 50, 100 and DRC100 you may have to be careful (I'll perhaps leave it to those more knowledeable on the subject to confirm this) as the 50Hz mode is not 'pure' 50Hz but a DRC-derived 50Hz (whatever that means). It is actually somewhere between 50Hz and 100Hz - so I've read somewhere on this board.

On the 32DX50 you may be able to answer a question for me about recording from the integrated digital tuner - please see my post about 'iDTV's and recording' to save me boring everyone with it all again!!

Also, did you pricematch JL against anyone or pay 'sticker price'?

3. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    In answer to your query about recording, the DX50 has definitely got a built-in timer to enable the digital decoder if it is left in standby. I don't know whether this just turns on the decoder, or turns the whole set on, but it has got one, and it looks as if it is integrated with the EPG, so you can highlight a program in the EPG and add it to the timer list, as well as being able to set the timer manually. I can't be any more definite as I haven't actualy played with it yet!

Other than the flyback noise, the DX50 is fine - better than the Panasonic TX32DT4. The only niggle I have noticed is that the digital subtitles sometimes only appear for a fraction of a second before being cleared, but that may be a broadcast issue.

But make sure flyback noise doesn't bother you before you buy one, because it really is a nightmare on this set if you are sensitive to it!

4. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Oh, and with regards the price I paid at John Lewis, I paid sticker price, but then subsequently found a shop in London (K.K. Electronics) who have their price list on the web - I took a copy of this in to JL a few weeks later and they refunded me £170 on the spot.

They will point-blank refuse to match Internet prices, but KK Electronics are a retail shop, so are covered by the price promise.

5. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Oh, and with regards the price I paid at John Lewis, I paid sticker price, but then subsequently found a shop in London (K.K. Electronics) who have their price list on the web - I took a copy of this in to JL a few weeks later and they refunded me £170 on the spot.

They will point-blank refuse to match Internet prices, but KK Electronics are a retail shop, so are covered by the price promise.

6. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two refunds, you did well!:p

7. guires

guires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon

Cheers for the info on the DX50 timer. I'll try it out in the shops at the weekend!!