1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" HD LCD TV = Toshiba 32WL48 - the obvious choice ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by pwhale, Jun 1, 2005.

1. pwhale

pwhale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having come into a spot of cash, I am looking at upgrading my existing kit, which is an old knackered 21" CRT TV !
    During my investiagtions, I have compiled the following list of uses I am hoping to get out of my new investment :

* Watch video sourced from my PC - as I have a "media PC" with a NVIDIA graphics card with a DVI out I would like to be able to play these files through my TV.
    * Be ready for future AV upgrades - for this I would like to be equipped with the higher spec ports (component ? HDMI ?) required for this. HD ready seems a good idea now.
    * Have a monitor good for today's TV digital broadcasts (freeview)
    * Have a monitor good for console gaming (gamecube + possible PS2)

From all of this, I have gathered that LCD is probably a better choice with regards to computer / console usage. 32" seems like the perfect size for the space I have, and so my eyes were drawn to the ranges of 32" widescreen LCD TVs out there. And as you may gather from the subject of my post, the Toshiba 32WL48 seems to get the most acclaim, although a number of other models also hit the radar from Sharp and Phillips. Then I see the what hi-fi awards for the Tosh, and I'm back there as "the better choice".

Can anyone offer any advice or play devils advocate to any of these points ? I've read concerns over 1368x768 displays, although it seems most contenders are that res. these days. I also hear that there are new Tosh's out soon (32WL56 ?) - should I be considering these instead perhaps ? I gather there are also stocking problems for the 32WL48 - surely a sign of a good choice ! - but worrying if I want my new TV in under a month I gather.

As always, diving into a new world of acronyms here and feel I might be a little out of my depth now :confused:

2. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    32WL56 is out now, 32WLT58 is out in aug/sep

3. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The Tosh WL56 is already available (several threads with reviews) the WL58 due soon, which has built in Freeview Digital Tuner, so forget about the WL48 its discontinued, but if you want to use a HTPC with an LCD panel I would forget about the Toshibas, as they only have HDMI not DVI, forget about HDMI - DVI converter cables, most people get no signal or XGA resolution.

The Hitachi 7200 is popular at the moment with both HDMI and DVI, although there are still issues with PC connectivity, which can be overcome with a bit of tweaking.

I'm waiting for the new LG's, others for the new Philips 9830 and the Sharps, all of which should have better PC connectivity and be released this Summer.

4. pwhale

pwhale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Xelon.

Would you mind explaining how these will have better connectivity than, say, the Hitachi 7200 you mentioned ?
    It's the PC support side I am probably least clearest on at the moment - I hear powerstrip mentioned a lot, but not sure I've grasped any of the fine technicals yet !

5. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    OK I'll try, because of the 1366 native resolution found on most 16:9 panels, most Video Cards do not support this res. because it is not divisible by 8, therefore doesn't conform to the VESA PC standards, so the card has to know (or hard coded) about this custom resolution, also the Video Driver has to support this resolution, currently only the latest Nvidia Drivers support this res. even then I believe it is overscanning to 1368. Often resolutions above 1024 are not possible, due to certain DVI limitations on the LCD panels.

So it's a bit hit and miss at the moment, that is why utilities such as Powerstrip come into play, with this utility custom resolutions can be set and saved as profiles.

At the moment the GA4 Sharp series can display the 1366 resolution, unfortunately this series is discontinued and replaced by the GA5 which can't (not via DVI anyway, they don't have one!)

No proof that the new panels will be PC friendly but believe the Philips 9830 will, if someone can confirm.

Hope the above helps, try asking a simpler question next time please :)

6. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    if it helps.. I'm waiting for this philips too.. even if I decide I dont want it, prices on the hitachi etc will have fallen a bit by then so thats good too. But the philips does sounds like its a potentially very good screen

7. Donny

Donny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I just connected my Home theatre PC to my Tosh 32WL56 using a DVI - HDMI with no problems at all.
    You're right about the resolution though - to get around only seeing some low-res 640x480 I used the latest ATI drivers which are HDTV aware and let me configure a custom widescreen resolution to fit my screen exactly.
    This gives me an excellent picture.
    No need to use powerstrip if you have an ATI Card.

8. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    So what resolution are you getting Donny? Dot for Dot?

Update: just read the other thread, seems the 32WL56 not all its cracked up to be, which is why youre returning it.

9. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    details please Donny...

10. Donny

Donny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Screen resolution details...
    (I'm new to this, so bear with me)
    Using HDMi connector, I can set 1280x720 BUT I lose a few pixels on each side of the screen.
    The latest ATI drivers let me create a custom screen resolution by resizing until I see all edges of the screen correctly.
    I end up with a resolution of 1216x684 to fit the screen exactly.