1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" Dolby Digital Widescreen Best Buy?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by sealteam147, Jan 7, 2003.

1. sealteam147

sealteam147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am looking to get a new 32" Dolby Digital Widescreen (need Dolby incorporated as no room/budget for separate amps at present). I have narrowed down my choices to about 4 sets and need to know from anyone who has any experience/knowledge on what is best and any problems with any of these choices, I have ranked them in the order that I think is best:

1. Philips 32PW9617C

2. Toshiba 32ZP18Q

3. Panasonic TX32PB50C

4. Toshiba 32ZT29B

Can you let me know what you guys think?
    I am looking for the best picture & sound quality from these.

Thanks

2. CooLix

CooLix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my personal honest opinion

wasn't impressed with the screen quality when I viewed it in the shop. The idea of the FM wireless speakers is nice, but don't expect a great sound reponse from them. Not totally wireless anyway since the rear FM Speakers are attached together via a cable.

Old hat and the Q model has the Media Window (Split screen)removed). Many members of this forum have complained about geometric problems. So beware

Very nearly went for this one until I read the many bad comments and reviews. Shame really, seemed like a nice TV. Quite fancied the split screens. Yes!! I know...I like the toys!

This is the one i am going to pluck for. Many a good review and comments on this forum. Also, very good screen demo'ed to me in the local shop. Considering all TV's had the same feed as this one, this TV blew them all away with the screen quality and vibrance. NO DTS but DD (Dolby Digital) though. Since, I don't have a seperate amp, I can live without the DTS. The vast majority of DVD's come with DD or both.

The only thing that has added a spanner into the works of my master plan is that they are going to start trialing the use of DTS with Digital Broadcast signals. Since, I am a newbie on all this, I don't believe that there are broadcasts DD with at the moment.

Ho hum.

3. sealteam147

sealteam147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Coolix,

After reading most of the topics in this forum ranging quite far back, this is what i have concluded:

The Philips 9617 seems to have a halo effect and vertical dark lines due to the pixel plus technology. So this I agree isn't a good choice (which is a shame!).

Both the Toshiba ZP18 & ZT29 suffer from the geometry problems as well as the ZT29 being overly sensitive to magnetism!

Hence the only sensible choice left here is to go for the Panny.....yes it seems to have a problem with NTSC playback but other than that (and a noisy power supply which I am sure they have sorted by now), I can't find anything else wrong with it.

Correct me if I am wrong in my deductions....after all I am no Sherlock Holmes!!

:)

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't vouch for the ZP18's but the Tosh Strata range has easily accessible and powerful Service Menu controls that, if used correctly, can give about as perfect geometry as you'll ever get on a CRT.

I have a 36ZD26P (which, in theory, is prone to worse geometry problems than a 32") and have achieved way, way better geometry than my Panasonic 36PF10 and 32PF10's can achieve.

It will take you a combined 4 or 5 hours over a month or two, but it can be done :)

5. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Even thought I use seperates I was very happy with the sound quality on my TX32PB50 .

One major plus point is that it also supports DTS , I'm sure in the end you will wish you had DTS capability if you go for a DD only setup

Panasonic TX32PB50
    Marantz SR5200
    Toshiba 210ED
    Amstrad DRX300
    Mission M72
    Mission M7C
    Mission M7ds
    Eltax Atomic A10 Sub
    AIWA VCR
    Gale SPKR cables
    IXOS Scart