1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" CRT dilemma

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by john read, Mar 11, 2005.

1. john read

john read

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is yet another "which TV should I buy" but I am really confused at the moment.

I am looking to buy a new 32" CRT (to replace an old 28" JVC). I will use it to:

1.) Mainly watch Sky+ both live and recorded programmes (keen interest in football and sports)

2.) DVDs via a scart with a suround sound AV system (SONY AV receiver with B&W VM1s and AS1 subwoofer.

I thought I had got the decision down to two choices:

PHILIPS 32PW9509
    PANASONIC TX32PD50.

However, reading this forums I am now very worried as there seems to be a consensus that the Philips Pixel Plus 2 just doesn't work (particularly with fast moving sports) and the panasonic has a "buzzing" sound problem and geometry issues.

I have read other reccomendations for the TOSHIBA 32ZP48 but this just looks like the previous 32ZP38 with a new front. (Plus there are no reviews for this model anywhere.)

I am confused, as all the problems go against what has been written in the magazine reviews (and yes i recognise the drawbacks with these reviews but almost none pick up on the "buzzing" sound problem or geometry problems with the panasonic).

The final straw was reading a reply saying that CRT is now poorly manufactured as everyone is putting their resources into LCD/plasma. Is this really the way i should be going and at what additional expense.

i am going into John Lewis this afternoon to have a look at the three CRTs above but any other advice/help with be VERY GRATFULLY apprciated.

JR

2. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    There is some reviews for the Toshiba 36ZP48, thats the 36" version of the 32ZP48.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5318
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5287
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5056

3. john read

john read

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks E

I also just wondered if there were any owners of the PANASONIC TX32PD50 who have been pleased??

JR

4. malinwa

malinwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    you people out there may laug at me ,but...
    i was looking at the peter martin site the other day ,looking at the loewes,when i stumbled on to the finlux.
    they had both 50 and 100 hertz tv (32') starting at 500- 600 pounds.
    i thought be would be great value for the moment .
    it would allow you to see what hd stuff is appearing in the coming year

6. Simcom

Simcom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,
    I have the 36" PD50 and am now very happy with it.
    I had the Geometery issues but resolved them in the Service Menu.
    It does not seem to matter which large screen CRT you buy. You either get lucky or not with the Geometery.
    As for the buzzing it's so quiet you won't notice it.
    From what I've read Panasonic and Toshiba seems to be the front runners at the moment.
    Good luck.