1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" analogue or 36" + freeview

Discussion in 'TVs' started by epgs1, Jan 11, 2004.

1. epgs1

epgs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just returned a Toshiba 36ZP38 because of an annoying mechanical buzz, but in the two days I owned the set I was rather disappointed with the PQ from analogue sources. My aging 29" 4:3 Sony performed much better than the Tosh with Terrestial analogue. So rather than simply replace the Tosh I am considering alternatives.

One possibility is to drop down to a 50Hz analogue only set. I am more than happy with 50Hz, the flicker really doesn't annoy me, well no way near as much as digital artifacts.

Another possibility, would be to use a Freeview decoder as a feed to the 36" Tosh. This would allow me to view terrestial TV, hopefully, with improved quality. I have noticed that TVs that do digital procesing using Freeview feeds we much better than a straight analogue feed (at least in the shops). Does Freeview broadcast 16:9 on BBC1 etc. or is it still 4:3?

Does anyone have any experience of comparing Freeview from an external decoder with the terrestial analogue equivalent?

Cheers
    Graham

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    You should be able to set your own settings with a freeview box, be it 4:3, 4:3 letterbox, or 16:9 modes to suit you TV or taste.

The BBC transmits most if not all of the modern stuff in W/S. some things they fall down one sometimes is films and outside broadcast.