32" advice

G

glasgow sheep

Was looking in the shops in town (glasgow) today and from what I saw in the shops and taking into account my budget I decided that either the 32PF7520D Philips or the LE32R51BD Samsung would be the best bet as both came in at £999.99.

Don't know jack sh!t about the technical side of these things and will be using for dvd and ntl cable at present. Both seemed to have good pictures (although best picture in the shop was a 26" philips) and the samsung "looked" better.

Since getting home I have found that I can get the samsung alot cheaper, but not much off the philips.

Should I go for the samsung and save nearly £300, get the philips or any better suggestions for a 32" for abou £1000?

Advice would be much appreciated, as despite looking all over the web I'm still not really clued up on all of the pros/cons

Thanks in advance

tentonipete

Standard Member
glasgow sheep said:
Was looking in the shops in town (glasgow) today and from what I saw in the shops and taking into account my budget I decided that either the 32PF7520D Philips or the LE32R51BD Samsung would be the best bet as both came in at £999.99.

Don't know jack sh!t about the technical side of these things and will be using for dvd and ntl cable at present. Both seemed to have good pictures (although best picture in the shop was a 26" philips) and the samsung "looked" better.

Since getting home I have found that I can get the samsung alot cheaper, but not much off the philips.

Should I go for the samsung and save nearly £300, get the philips or any better suggestions for a 32" for abou £1000?

Advice would be much appreciated, as despite looking all over the web I'm still not really clued up on all of the pros/cons

Thanks in advance

i'm looking for a 32" at the moment too. i've heard good things about the Hitachi 32LD7200. i saw the philips one in the shop and it looked pretty good but i've not found it for that cheap. what high street shop was it in for £1000?

There's endless threads about the Samsungs which are mostly too long to read through easily - but the gist seems to be that a lot of people have had problems with them but a lot of people also are happy with what they've got for the money once (or if) they get one that works properly.

As for me, I wouldn't want an LCD without a backlight control, but that crosses out both of those I think, not just the Samsung ones!

john.hem

Hi, I don’t know if you are looking for a TV with ‘High Definition’. If not, I would certainly give the ‘Sharp LC32P50E’ a close look. They can be had for £699.00 in ‘John Lewis’ stores with a free five-year guarantee.
I’ve had mine for a couple of weeks now and I’m very impressed with the picture from DVD and Freeview.

John:)

The Sharp P series screens actually aren't HD. They can accept the HD signal and scale it down to around standard definition, but the screens can't show full HD detail. If we were in America they'd probably be described as "EDTVs" (Enhanced Definition) but we don't seem to have that phrase here.

po_man

I would certainly recommend the Toshiba 32WLT58 as an LCD for around the £1k mark. I purchased mine from John Lewis back in November for £1079.00 (with the aid of a price match of course!) so i'd guess you should be able to get it a little lower now. Don't forget, you'll also get a 5 year warranty from JL which on its own can be worth up to £300.
Excellent quality with a lot of favourable reviews - 5 star in most of the magazines.

PROS:
  • Fully HD Ready
  • Stunning XBOX 360 picture quality
  • Very Good Standard Definition SKY playback (with quality RGB scart cables e.g. IXOS, QED etc ...)
  • Built-in Freeview
  • 2 x HDMI inputs
  • Component Input
  • Sound pretty meaty for a flat panel
CONS:
  • Styling not to everyones tastes (although i'm more than happy)
  • Remote feels quite cheap

Prime

I got a sharp LC32ga6e from the John lewis Branch in glasgow, priced match it to £838, really happy with it so far, great for 360 and PC input (automatically set 1:1 pixel res of 1360*768 through VGA, with a geforce 6600gt).
See my entry in the pricematch thread for the details, page 38 I believe.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom