1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" Advice - What would you guys buy for £650?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Jonny Doh, May 31, 2004.

1. Jonny Doh

Jonny Doh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I've been searching for a month to find the ideal tv, but so many reviews seem to be conflicting with different advice and horror stories from different forum members. So I've finally decided to stop lurking and ask the advice of the resident experts here :)

I'm looking to spend £600-650 maximum on a 32", preferrably with integrated freeview tuner, NTSC playback and stunning picture quality. I'm not too bothered about sound so long as it doesn't buzz/vibrate. I have an US PS2 which I want to be able to hook up with a light-gun, hence the need for NTSC, but would 100Hz cause problems with this?

I'm considering getting either the Sony DX50 or the DX150. The DX50 doesn't have NTSC, but I could probably get it from John Lewis on price match with the year guarantee (+1 from Barclay card). Alternatively, I could get an ex-display DX150 online for £649, but I don't get the JL guarantee and no idea what state it's in. I'm also open to other brands, but these seem to come out best from what I've read.

Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jonny Doh

Jonny Doh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS I have a video that playsback NTSC on PAL (an AIWA FX7700), does this mean that I could hook up the PS2 through that to any tv? In that case the DX150 and 50 become much more closely matched. I just wish the 50 allowed recording from digital while watching another channel.

Anyway, I'm eager to hear what you guys have to say :)

3. Will_Marsh

Will_Marsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get the KV32FQ70 (if you do without the IDTV) for £680 online if you do a dealtime search, currently in the same predicament as you, good luck, let me know what you decide.

Will Marsh

4. Jonny Doh

Jonny Doh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Will, but the Mrs says that if we're spending in the region of £700 then it has to have freeview and NTSC.

Most of the reviews seem to place Sony and Panasonic as best, while others seem to rave about the Philips Pixel Plus technology. I'm just very nervous of spending so much money on my first tv (while furnishing a house!) and it turns out to be not-so-great. That's why I'm asking for the advice of the folks here over some faceless magazine reviewer.

5. petebog

petebog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could get a Panasonic TX32ps5 Dolby Digital Surround for about £650 or less if you search the net, currys are doing it for £664 on their site. Good picture and sound, has ntsc. With the change you could get a freeview box.
    :thumbsup:

6. rjlawson

rjlawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My 32DX50 shows R1 DVDs no probs, and says in the specs (Sony Catalogue) that it supports NTSC.

7. Jonny Doh

Jonny Doh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't know the DX50 did NTSC. Where are you finding that in the catalogue?

I don't see it mentioned on this Sony page:
    http://products.sony.co.uk/productdetail.asp?id=__4446&search=DX50

If I'd known that I would have order it instead.

However, I ordered my TV on Saturday, the JVC AV-32R4 from Digital Point. It's supposed to arrive on Saturday, so I guess I'll just stick with that.

Thanks for your help guys, maybe this thread can be of help to others in my situation as well.

PS John Lewis doesn't do that JVC any more, so I couldn't get the price match with guarantee, so I'm just going to rely on the Barclaycard extra year.