32" Aconda vs 36" Toshiba ZP18P?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Barry Bingham, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after much agonising- my short list is down to two. Like many of you I started out unconvinced by 100Hz. But endless tinkering with acondas and- in the last couple of weeks with the picture frame Tosh- have persuaded me that these two really do offer a better all round experience than my 50Hz favourite- the Panny PK1.

The sets both cost £1500-2000. They both occupy roughly the same space. Except the Tosh is a bigger picture. And the Aconda is a class act even when switched off.

How to choose? All thoughts from the cognoscenti out there gratefully accepted...

2. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    how could you even think of a comparision?
    the loewe is years ahead!!!!!!
    theres still others out there better than the tosh

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    ? I don't quite understand this reply unless it is from a Aconda owner. Can you explain why?

The Credo will give a better picture than the Aconda in the Loewe range. This has been reported quite widely and several occasions to me when I was making the same choice. I even went to the trouble of borrowing a Credo and Aconda to take home, and can confirm this opinion. I eventually bought the Toshiba and I am very happy with it. DVD is awesome, VHS is vey good. Off air is only good but apparaently much improved by off air boxes (Sky / On Digital etc). I think it more a matter of where I live and the associated hills. I would make the same decision again. Took me ages to decide and I looked at just about everything.

4. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Nic I share your bemusement. I might be torn between these two sets but I can't see why mo thinks its a walkover for the Aconda. The new Tosh Picture Frames and the slightly earlier DZ09 seem to be a big leap forward over the company's earlier 100Hz sets. And I've not seen anything to make me think any of the other big Japanese brands can do better. And I went into this really wanting to choose Panasonic.

Interesting that you chose the Tosh after a home trial of the Loewes. I've noticed that at the three places where I've seen Loewes they alone seem to be blessed with high quality digital inputs in separate display areas- whereas everything else is showing some weak daisychained image. Perhaps the company insists on this? But I found one Tosh with a good digital feed and it was very impressive (after putting the settings to sensible values!)

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Can the Tosh do 848x480 progressive scan?
    Does the Tosh have support for Composite, Svideo, RGB, component, VGA, PAL60, NTSC...?
    Does the Tosh have internal deinterlacer for NTSC video?
    Does the Tosh have a really cool closeing curtain effect when you put it in standby?

The Aconda is a great TV.

Jeff

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Jeff

Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase Jeff. I would have been happy with any of these three sets, they are all great.

To address some of your points. When I asked Loewe whether it can do progressive scan, they said, No, not with this chasis. It will take a PS VGA input and then convert it to interlaced is how I read the reply. Just like the external VGA to S-Video converter boxes or my S Video output on my HCPC.

Does the Tosh have support for Composite, Svideo, RGB, component, VGA, PAL60, NTSC...?

Yes, yes, yes, yes (component is the reason I really went for this, Aconda / Credo?), No (VGA), yes, yes. The VGA seems to be as explained above.

Internal de-interlacers. I looked at several of these (Hitachi / Panny etc) and decided the 'cheap built in' solutions were not for me. Does the Aconda have a deinterlacer?. The philips tubes I thought it was based on, I was told were only capable of 16Khz. New 32khz tubes on the way. i.e I was told they are not PS capable

Bear in mind I was given some very dodgy info from Loewe (and their agents) so take everything with a shovel full of salt. (Don't even get me started on Metz.) I would be keen to hear from any service engineers out there who can explain exactly how this set works. It was this lack of info they pushed me away from Loewe though I initially favoured it, strongly.

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I also asked Loewe about PS and I also got the no answer. However the VGA input is progressive scan and difference in quality over a VGA - svideo converter is HUGE and I own a £300 professional converter. I now have all video going through the PC. Kryton (my PC) now features a £170 video input card. I now watch SKY Digital in progressive scan scaled to 848X480. The problem is the PQ is so good now that I want a much larger screen, a 6ft screen and a projector should do it.

Jeff

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Projector. Now, funny you said that, that is exactly what I am doing as well. My HCPC is inspired by your Kryton but I soon realised that ALL tvs are a compromise to some degree, especially on quality and projector is the only route if quality is what you are after. However I still needed a tv for the soaps for 'her in doors' hence the other purchase.

My overriding features list that secured the Tosh as my choice were, in no particular order:

component inputs
    styling
    picture quality
    DD (though not currently used, might be useful when I separate the tv from the projector)
    14:9 aspect ratio

9. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the interesting exchange of views. I guess the reality is that both these TVs are great sets. But the new Toshiba has the bonus of a bigger picture for your money. I've spent enough time playing with both to know I like them both very much. I got the (possibly misguided) impression from sets I've seen and from the earlier threads about the Tosh that it's more sensitive than some to less than perfect reception. But nevertheless I think I'm beginning to lean Tosh-wards. As well as DVDs I'm blessed with excellent analogue and OnDigi reception to which the larger screen may do justice. So its the Tosh. Maybe. Almost certainly...

10. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Loewe Vitros, it does everything the Aconda does for less money, and the image is better... it is more modern, does progressive scan if you connect with component video (only scart3), and it looks better, my taste...
    With the Arcam DV88 it is the best image I have ever watched...

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,113
    This is why I chose my TV, Toshiba 36 incher not out at the time of choice.
    I to was in the same boat as you just before Christmas ie looking for a TV, I originally had a 6 year old 32 inch Philips widescreen TV that had gone down on me, and despite not having a flat screen, or the best colours and sharpness by today's standards, will be sorely missed. Anyway knowing I would have to live with the next TV for quite a while and knowing it to be the most used thing in the house after the bed, I took my time (having loan of a 24inch 3:4TV). This time I was going to have a 36 incher, armed with a sheet of paper with a list of features I was looking for, although the picture quality was the utmost priority, I whittled it down to the Sony 36 as this was the best picture and had most of the features I wanted. It was then I found out that the TV I had been mistakenly thinking to be a B & O (out of my price range) was in-fact a Loewe Aconda. On comparing the two, I thought the Loewe the better picture, OK the Sony had a slightly sharper picture but the colour on the Loewe are just out of this world and made the Sony drab by comparison, and despite the Loewe not having a stretch mode to make a 3:4 fill the screen (apart from the widescreen mode 16:9) which I used most of the time on my old Philips and only being a 32 inch, I still went and bought the Loewe.
    Some features the Loewe has P in P, P & P, 3 scarts with more than 1 RGB, two sets of aerial inputs, full screen picture freeze, you can also get a range of plug in cards like on a PC, some give: digital TV, VGA input, Dolby Digital decoder.
    As I said at the start I have not compare it with the Toshiba so do not know which is the better but I, well suited with my set.
    As to the above I was told The Vitros was the same set as the Aconda except it was in a different casing. Yes it is cheaper.
    Whatever set you get, happy viewing.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades

12. rbooth

rbooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you guys don't think Loewe can display progressive images check out www.loewetv.com where there is a whole section explaining PS.

The Aconda chassis Q2400 like my Xelos uses an internal de-interlacer to display PS NTSC. It even says this in the European spec. sheets quote "100hz PAL/60hz Proscan" from my Xelos documentation. As standard the TV will not accept an external PS signal unless you fit the optional VGA module. I have been in contact with Loewe in Germany who confirmed all of this. I believe I read that the latest firmware for the Aconda will also de-interlace PAL internally.

Hope this helps

Rob

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    This is my whole point. Information coming out of Loewe source (s) is contradictory at best and quite frankly not always believable even when you ask a direct question like does it support PS. You get several answers which don't always fit with the facts / observations. A VGA input does indicate to me some PS capability but when I asked that question, you saw my response above. Non standard things like component inputs on Scart just add to the confusion.

It doesn't inspire confidence does it? Now in my book that worries me re support etc.
    :confused:

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,113
    Saw the Toshiba TV today in Comet unfortunately it was not displaying the best of pictures, but I would not blame the set, just the set-up. As you say the H*W*D is practically the same as the Aconda but unlike the Toshiba the sides falls away from the front fast, and if put in a corner it looks like a flat LCD TV. A mote point, when you mute the Aconda it says, “sound off” then disappears, which is handy for piping it though your surround amp, without having a mute sign on screen or turning the volume to zero

Nic you say Loewe give conflicting advice (I'm not disagreeing with you but just read the last part of this letter), when I have rung Loewe I have always been able to speak to some one, and not put on hold for 20+minutes in a queue, and if the person at the other end has not known the answer to my question, they have rung me back with it. And when I was considering a Sony TV, I rang them for info practically every half hour, in their working day and didn't even get in their queue system, just got a “all our lines are busy please try later” costing me a connection fee each time.
    Loewe albeit being foreign, is distributed by Linn. In all my dealings with British quality hi-fi firms I have always been pleased with their customer service.

For Nic: I once ordered some Yamaha surround speakers, they was white/cream in the brochure yet when they came they were grey, and as they did not match my walls, I told the shop I wanted white as in the brochure, I then rang Yamaha up and enquired about them and was told they had only ever made them in grey, and the white ones in the brochure was just how the photo had turned out, this despite me telling them I had actually seen some in white in a shop a bit back. I then enquired at that shop where I saw them in white, but they only had grey now, so I purchased the grey. Yet a year later they were back on sale in white/cream. On taking to a rep from Yamaha at a show he told me they had never made them in grey. Oh yes, this time I had hard evidence.
    Unless you see with your own eyes, doubt it, even in black and white (cream or grey) it's subject to change without notification.

They will sell you cod and swear its trout.

:cool:Ruby quartz shades

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Garrett

Your points are well made. When I emailed direct questions I got misleading answers. Local dealers weren't much help with 'quality' info either. They generally just speak to the rep who doesn't know. From all the tvs on the market these were the two that best suited my needs. I learned from all this (and my KEF 'incident') to never take anything on trust and try / test everything beforehand.

The things I learned about tvs is that there is no perfect tv. Final choice is more probably down to personal circumstances than anything else and is always a compromise. In these forums there are fans and detractors on both of these tvs but they are still quality products. On another thread the Toshiba was described as crap because many of us trying to optimise the picture. The poster completely missed the whole point of the thread. It is these violent swings in opinions that don't help anyone.

These are two quality products. Want VGA input go for the Loewe, want designer picture frame go for the Toshiba.

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,113
    Another thought Barry when I was choosing my TV I went to Kendals which had most makes of TV on display and every single one was showing a good off air picture. I also took a couple of DVD's with me, that they was more than happy to play for me, and at the time even though they was charging list price, they offered me a free 5 year guarantee. Unfortunately they did not have a black Aconda in stock, so had to get it else where. Is there a Kendals, or one of their other named stores in you area.
    As Nic said there is no perfect TV, although my ex Philips seemed so when it came out, well to me anyway.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades

17. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garret- Thanks. We don't have Kendals but we do have another House of Fraser emporium- Rackhams. Who display a large selection of w/s tvs including Loewe and Tosh. They do not all have good feeds however- only the Loewes have good quality feeds on display. As to where I buy the thing from I had thought it was down to Allders, QED, HoF for Tosh- HoF or Empire Direct for Loewe. As the nearest John Lewis is 65 miles away I had not thought of them- but then I read Steve Thackery's post on JL. So they must be favourites for both sets. Allders will price match QED on the Tosh but want to charge the £225 which QED charge for a 5 year warranty...