1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" 9986 Philips and the 37" GA4 Sharp - I pray you dont get this "helpful" letter

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MattDJ, Feb 20, 2005.

1. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You may have been aware of my "saga" in my original purchase of a 32" Philips 9986...

(check the pics! http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180991 ) :confused:

They sent out a Philips engineer who had a quick look, sort of admitted there was something wrong (this was 14 days after originally returning the set to hi spek).

Back I went to Hi Spek and this time we compared it to another 9986 set. After Hi Spek finally agreeing there was something wrong (with the pic, plus the humming, plus the 2 dead pixels)... they were thankfully a lot more helpful on my second visit. Or they had just had enough of me. :cool:

So. I got myself an ex demo 37" Sharp Ga4, and although the pic quality isnt quite as good as the 9986 (when i first turned it on!), it sounds a lot lot better... :)

And yesterday morning, I recieved the letter below (see pic). Quite blunt i thought, and it made me laugh. (zoom in on letter)
    But I honestly dont think I'd be laughing if I still had the 9986. :mad:

So, :) if you have a prob with your 9986, I really think Philips need to know about it. The engineers attitude was of "i'll compare it to the one in our showroom"... You need to get the people you bought it from to compare live on the shop floor to see the difference (mine was instantly noticable, would have saved me a few quid in petrol also, had the retailer done that on the 1st visit)... :thumbsup:

Im happy with my Sharp Ga4 tho, so it ended well :clap:

Attached Files:

2. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,277
    Christ, they realy went into a lot of detail there :rolleyes:

3. Winnie Pooh

Winnie Pooh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you have got in writing here is the typical support nonsense to prevent the company from legal issues. The so called service engineer plays in the same league that’s nothing to worry about – industry standard – service engineers must be almost deaf and blind. I’m still waiting for my replacement due to high hiss buzzing. The contrast buzzing even got worse!!! The contrast now buzzes from 97 to 100 as well. The Ambilight buzzing even got louder. The Philips quality management system seems to have its problems. It seems that they have received a bad batch of components and built them into their superior TV products. They should go and fix it immediately! :mad: