1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32/37/42pf9986 Philips uses Sharp LCD Panels

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jdl, May 26, 2004.

1. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :lesson: The new LCD's from Philips uses Sharp's LCD panels, I discovered that when i entered the service menu.

2. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you mind posting the sort of options available from the service menu? Im not really clued about these menu's so don't really know what they contain. Im specifically looking to see if you can tweak the inputs - ie change RGB to component on one of the SCARTs.

Thanks

Ian

3. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :lesson: There are no options to change the nature of the inputs, but you can alter a lot of other vital things for the picture quality.
    A dramatic difference is when you change the LUMA GAIN from 1 (default) to 3 this affects the overall brightness of the panel but it can age the panel faster.

4. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19

Actually, that's not completely correct. Only the 32 LCD uses a sharp VA-panel. The 37 and 42 use a LG.Philips S-IPS panel.

Furthermore there is no option to select YPbPr on the scart inputs. However, I heard from a reliable source that there is a firmware update expected in the coming weeks which would enable component (480p/576p/1080i/720p) on the DVI input. :thumbsup:

5. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    How do you enter the service menu ?

6. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    062596 then [i+] ;)

7. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is, I think, fantastic news :clap: and probably sold me on the Phillips, providing PQ is good. Can someone keep us posted about this update, and BTW, how would one apply the update or would I have to buy it with it? Im assuming that the DVI input, when used digitally, handles HDCP? What about DVI at native resolution?

-Ian

8. mine

mine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

@50 Hz ?????

9. paul3_uk

paul3_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the 37" is going to be available in the UK .... 32" is too small and the 42" is too expensive.

I have heard conflicting reports on whether the 37" is going to appear on the UK market.

10. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    720p standards are supported at 50 and 60 Hz, the same goes for 1080i. Also 1152i is supported. I'll try to find out about the 37 in UK. It's bound to come into the shops in the coming weeks.

11. alasdair

alasdair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Taking delivery of mine tomorrow and was a bit disappointed it didn't accept component as an input, but went ahead anyway as the opinions here are very positive.

If there is a firmware update would I be able to update mine - and how would it be done ?

12. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Any set can be updated, but I don't think it is that easy. You would need an I²C interface and a byteblaster. I don't recommend trying anything like this yourself. It would have to be done in a service centre unfortunately.

13. mine

mine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news indeed - 720p@50 Hz
    Do you listen Panasonic ?? after selling us 3 Generations of very expensive Plasmas without PAL resolution and NTSC refreshrates

:devil:

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hmmm seems a number of manufacturers are using 30" Sharp panel!!!
    ASV is very good why not consider LC-37HV4E orAD1E from sharp???

15. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A relative newbie question, but how would an analogue component output from my Panny DVD player input into a digital DVI connector? Are there adaptors you can buy?

A related question would be: can you get splitters that allow multiple component-capable devices to use one component input on a screen?

Still this is great news as I was considering this unit but the lack of component input was a problem.

16. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This Philips has a DVI-I input that means it can accept both digital and analog signals, right now the situation is a little bit cloudy and no one can confirm if this input can accept progressive signals, the only test that i did is connected the DVI-D output from the Samsung HD-935 and the panel accepted all the resolutions from 576p to 1080i but the picture quality was really bad. :oops:
    I really dont know what is the problem but i don't think that is only the DVD player.
    We will keep you posted for updates in this matter.
    As for the 37 model the Philips here in Athens told me that it will hit the stores around September.

17. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I almost forgot when you feed this panel with a digital signal the Pixel plus 2 is turning off :mad:
    Hope this is not happening when you feed the panel with a progressive scan signal using the analog route of the DVI-I input.

18. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19

Be aware that when setting the input source to 'digital set-top box' the TV puts the smart picture mode automatically to 'soft'. For bad digital transmissions, this is not a bad thing to do, but for good quality stuff, set the input type to anything else and you can set your picture preferences yourself and the TV will remember it.

For availability of the 37 in UK: yes it will be sold there and it will arrive in the shops by the end of June, not september.

For the DVI stuff: I checked both analogue and digital signals and the following are supported:
    DVI: 480p, 576p, 1080i50, 1080i60, 1152i, 720p50, 720p60, VGA 60, SVGA 60, XGA 60.
    Analogue RGBHV: 480p, 576p, 1080i50, 1080i60, 1152i, 720p50, 720p60, VGA 60, SVGA 60, XGA 60.
    The supported YPbPr formats as already mentioned earlier will be similar, except for the PC formats of course.
    The way you have to connect the YPbPr to the DVI is like this: The TV comes with a DVI to VGA adapter. Use this and together wit a VGA to cinch cable and you're all set (or to BNC which is easier to find together with 3 bnc to cinch adapters).

19. paul3_uk

paul3_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LiquidB, this is good news. May I ask what source you heard this from?

Two of us from this forum have had two different responses from Philips regarding this matter (beginning of July (me), not at all (other person)).

You'd think that Philips would know when and where their products are going to be launched.

20. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, It is understandable that there is some confusion. Originally, it was planned to launch the 37 after the holidays, but some weeks ago, this was changed to let's say beginning of July. This actually means the first products will be shipped in about two weeks and arrive some time later in the shops.
    It would be only normal in a big organization that not everybody is aware of this change.

21. paul3_uk

paul3_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LiquidB,

Very true, but it gets a little frustrating to us consumers when you are trying to make a decision involving thousands of pounds and you get confilicting reports from the company making said tv's. Do you wait even longer and hope the TV comes out at the size and price that you want, or just take the plunge and re-mortgage the house.

Thanks for your reply.

22. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi I tried last night what you told me ( I found a VGA cable with 5 BNCs in the other end, I plunged the DVI adapter to the VGA side and 3 RCAs adapters to the RGB BNCs ) but there was no picture at all. :mad:
    The VGA for the Philips does it need to have a special pin order or can I use an ordinary computer VGA cable to 5 BNCs?
    Please help what i want to do is connect my progressive scan output from my Pioneer DVD668 (3 RCAs) to the DVI-I input of the TV, is this possible can the panel accept progressive scan signals?
    Thanks in advance.

23. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, I wrote there was going to be an update for YPbPr support, which would actually mean it is not supported today. So don't bother trying, it won't work untill you got the good software. I will come back on this once it is available

24. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks a lot please keep me posted, and one other thing do you know if the new 37 supports this option? :thumbsup: