1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32"/3 scart/100-50Hz/ TV reqd

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by BT52, Apr 15, 2002.

1. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advice wanted.
    I'm after a 32" TV with no built in surround sound or digital converter.
    (Planning to get a seperate surround sound box)

I only get digital sky, no analogue, so although I like the 100Hz I still need to be able to switch to 50Hz because I hate the motion blurring.

Must have 3 scarts (sky/video/dvd)

As far as I can tell only Sony do a TV to this spec. Anyone know different?

Mark

2. Macallan

Macallan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at Thomson's Scenium line of TV's.
    They should be able to switch between 100 & 50 Hz and have 3 Scarts.

Cheers,
    Macallan

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With sky, dvd and vcr you only need two scarts. You may desire a third but it isnt needed for your setup.

4. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, but I'm fed up with fumbling around the back of the TV to switch between video and PS2 (my DVD)

I'm not going to watch sky through the video since it loses the RGB.

Mark

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. However, i can't see how 3 scarts is going to solve your problem as the VCR doesn't need to be connected to the tv unless you use the RGB passthrough from the digibox to the PS2. Both cases only use two scarts.

Do you mean you want a tv that has more than one RGB scart?

6. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit confused now.
    How do I use the video if it isn't connected to the TV???
    I want RGB from Sky to TV(using AV1), video to tv via AV2 and PS2 to TV via .....well, thats when I have to swap and use AV2 again.

More than one RGB would be nice, but I can only see the difference with Sky, not the PS2/dvd or the Video.

Can't sent the PS2 through the video because the video's scart input is used by the second sky scart output.

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    You should be able to play videos on AV1, via the same SCART that is connected to your STB.

You mean you can't tell the difference between RGB and Composite/S-Video on your DVD and PS2 :confused:

These should both be RGB, S-video as a last resort, Composuite...NEVER.

Although I agree that a TV with two RGB sockets would be nice, but you really are limiting your choice as such TVs are rare.
    Consider one that has only one RGB Scart (most of them do!) and then use a SCART Switch box for all your RGB devices.
    That's what a lot of the forum members (me included) do.

8. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From your comments, i assume that you don't have an RGB scart for the PS2. Just the standard scart that come with it. The standard scart with the PS2 cant handle RGB and the vcr doesnt handle it at all.

So, if you are going to stay like that you can connect up as follows:

Sky > TV (into RGB scart)
    Sky > VCR (scart)
    PS2 > TV (into composite video scart)

If you get a PS2 RGB scart (such as the blaze scart):

Sky > TV (into RGB scart)
    PS2 > Sky (into the VCR scart)
    VCR > TV (into 2nd scart - composite)
    RF aerial > sky > vcr > tv

Option 1 gives you all scart connections and gives you RGB for sky and composite for vcr and PS2. Option 2 gives you RGB for sky and the PS2 (providing you have the RGB scart lead for the PS2) and composite for the VCR. However, option 2 means you have to record from sky using the aerial lead rather than the scart so the picture quality will not be as good but the PS2 will have better picture quality as it will be using RGB. You can decide what you prefer.

9. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    BT52,looking at the way you want to connect your video and sky to your tv,how would you manage to record fom sky :confused: Unless of course you are using sky+ :)

10. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for seeming really dumb, but doesn't option 1 lose stereo VCR>TV? How does this give composite for the VCR?

Also in option 2 you have PS2 into Sky video scart. I assumed the video scart on the sky box was for output only, do you mean this can be used for input from the PS2? In that case how do you select PS2 or sky on the TV if they are both coming in on the same scart cable to AV1 (RGB)?

Ron. currently I have
    SKY -> TV AV1 (RGB)
    SKY -> Video (into VCR scart input socket) This gives stereo into the vcr
    VCR -> TV (AV2)
    and PS2 not connected until I unplug the VCR->TV and have PS2->TV(AV2)

Kevo, are you talking about some kind of switching cable extension which takes 2 inputs into one output. Sounds ideal for me for what I have now, but since I am looking for a new widescreen TV anyway I thought I'd look for a more ideal solution.
    The new Philips seems to have 2 RGBs

11. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Your VCR-TV scart is not required,it will pass through your sky box no problem.

12. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. Scart leads will carry the stereo audio. Option 2 will lose stereo on recordings from sky only. Standard VCRs only handle composite. When RGB is sent down a lead, the composite video signal is sent at the same time.

The VCR scart on the digibox is input and output so thats how it works. I have mine connected up that way.

Scart control does it automatically. My experience shows that the PS2 (which i turn on last) takes control over sky. When you turn it on, it should change to the PS2 automatically. Again, this would depend on what type of scart lead you have for the PS2 as the standard one does not have scart control enabled.

13. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thats what I hoped you would say.

Now that I understand the sky VCR socket a bit better this seems to be saying that the sky-VCR scart link is a 2 way thing.

This is totally new for me, I assumed it was all one way. That concept changes everything!

So if I understand correctly (and thanks for your patience) this means that if the VCR is recording on it's LINE2 channel it will record from sky, in stereo and if I play the VCR, this will cause the sky box to switch to sending the VCR output to the TV instead of the normal sky-> TV output (Same as you described with the PS2).

So I don't need 2 scarts in the back of the video, I don't need the VCR-> TV directly and I can use the spare scart on the TV for the PS2. Phew!
    If this is right then thanks guys. I'll try it tonight.

14. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    correct.

15. Colger

Colger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For information:-

Panasonic PG and PB range have three scarts - two of which are RGB.