Question 32” smart tv under £250

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by martd, Dec 7, 2017.

1. martd

martd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all

Any advice on a 32” with Netflix for my daughter?
    Looking to spend £200 but could stretch to £250 is really needed.

Doesn’t have to be amazing but just good enough for a 17 year old to watch crappy 17 year old girl’s films! ;-)

Looking at the Toshiba 32L3753DB or the sharp 32CHG6021K but open to any other ideas

Cheers all!!

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,358
  3. martd

martd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Dodgexander

4. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    After much deliberation, I recently purchased the Toshiba 32L3753DB which, to my eyes, displays an excellent picture on HD broadcasts. I checked out many 32" TV sets (all the usual suspects plus a few minor brands) and this Toshiba gave the best picture quality at anywhere near the £200 mark. That said, I didn't have the opportunity to adjust all TV picture settings to suit my taste.

Screen lighting seems remarkably even, contrast is fine but viewing angles are poor - the image fades badly when viewed off-centre (vert. and horiz.). Detail resolution with HD broadcasts is striking and, for the first time with an LCD panel, on-screen movement doesn't look blurry. Picture quality is, I think, it's main strength though default picture settings need to be altered to get the most accurate images - to my eyes anyway.

Sound quality is acceptably clear and uncoloured so OK for voice but limited in both max. volume and severely limited in low frequency extension. Currently selling for £199 in John Lewis with a 5 year warranty - as you're probably aware.

There are a few quirks though:
    Question - Why can't I view some catch-up programs on a Smart TV?

Also, the screen is loose in it's frame. Odd. I returned the first one we purchased for this reason and found that the replacement was just the same so we kept it. I would have expected the screen to have been glued into it's frame/surround but it isn't. No big deal as it can't fall out but moves slightly when wiped and rattles when the TV is moved. Doesn't appear to affect picture quality. May have requested a refund because of this quirk were it not for the 5 year warranty.

I'm not interested in Netflix so haven't tried that out. FreeviewPlay works well for the available programes but see above thread. All TV settings controls are intuitive so I've barely resorted to the on-screen manual and controls work quickly (compared to my old, non-smart HD ready TV). Some of the individual catch-up TV apps (if that's the correct term?) are not intuitive to me and neither is the BBC red button menu options which I find ill-thought out and frustrating.

Connectivity and features are excellent for a HD TV in this price range and I believe it's possible to purchase a mouse + keyboard for internet surfing though I haven't as yet.

EDIT: Should have mentioned that the TV is connected to the router by cable and the connection has been 100% reliable so far.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,358
    Sounds like that Toshiba may be using a VA panel if its viewing angles are tight, that would make it a great buy. VA despite having narrow viewing angles offer a big improvement in picture quality over IPS type panels, especially in things like screen uniformity as they let less light through from behind the screen.

At this price range its notoriously difficult to find specifications on TVs, especially what panel they use, so user feedback is invaluable. So thanks for your input @dogfonos

Toshbia up until the most recent news had a contract to produce TVs with Vestel in Turkey, this usually means the TVs they produce are not the best quality but I am sure when there are so many re-badged TVs coming through there will be a few models which are good value. The TVs smart design, parts etc are all provided and put together by Vestel. They are simply Vestel models with a Toshiba badge on...although Toshiba have recently been taken over by Hisense so I expect that might change in the next year or two. I think Hisense plan to operate them as a separate company and will probably move manufacturing their TVs in the same facilities as Hisense instead.