31 band graphic equalisers for home hi-fi?

TokenUser

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been searching the net for one. No luck.

There are plenty out there, Behringer etc., but they are all designed to fit in a 19 inch rack to cater for the "live-band" type market.

Problem is my hi-fi cabinet is only 17 inches wide, so they wouldn't fit.

I can't even find one where you can take of the front rack mounting plate hence reducing the width a bit.

Don't suppose anyone has come across one, or has any experience in modifying the pro kit for home use?

Thanks,
Gary.

On many 19" rack mounts, the mounts on the sides are detachable. That would make them fit into your space. Have a closer look at a few that you've found and see if the rack mount tabs are removable.

Curious, why do you want a Graphic Equalizer?

Steve/bluewizard

I borrowed an ADC monster one in the late 80's. Spent more time fiddling than listening, soon went back. Always put people off them since. They do have there uses but most amps with pre-outs and ins are way better without them.

On many 19" rack mounts, the mounts on the sides are detachable. That would make them fit into your space. Have a closer look at a few that you've found and see if the rack mount tabs are removable.

Curious, why do you want a Graphic Equalizer?

Steve/bluewizard

OK that's useful to know.

Why do I want one?

We'll my room and speaker response is not the best, so the sound is coloured towards the bassy side. I want to trim that out a bit.

I borrowed an ADC monster one in the late 80's. Spent more time fiddling than listening, soon went back. Always put people off them since. They do have there uses but most amps with pre-outs and ins are way better without them.

Are the newer ones, with constant Q filters, any better than the ones around in the 80's?

Do you have the speakers on stands? Can you plug the bass port? Tried differing cable combinations? I wonder if cables will be able to tighten the bass up for you and makes it less wolly…

Do you have the speakers on stands? Can you plug the bass port? Tried differing cable combinations? I wonder if cables will be able to tighten the bass up for you and makes it less wolly…

I don't have the speakers on stands. I could try this.

I have already put a sock in the bass ports of my sub. I haven't plugged by floorstanders yet. I could also try this.

Thanks very much for these suggestions.

It could be the speakers are booming depending on their position to the side and rear walls. So try a few places and it may pay dividends. I didn’t realise they’re floor standers, so they don’t need stands. Try moving them away from the rear wall?

I agree with other, I think there are different means by which we might be able to control the problem without spending money.

It is unusual for a room to be too bassy. Normally a typical room has too much reflected higher frequencies.

Can you tell us specifically what speakers you have and roughly how they are placed around the room. Also, if you have an AV amp, what is it, how is it set up; what are the crossover frequencies, relative levels, etc....

Normally for an AV system, it is best to start with the Sub crossover set to about 80hz, and the AV amp set to 'Small'. Then balance the channels for the listening position. Also, if you have a Sub, likely it has its own amp, with its own level control. You don't want to set it for maximum bass, you want to balance the level with the midbass.

Also note that if this is a 5.1 or other surround system, you can usually control the volume on each speaker channel independently.

Next, and again, not sure if you have stereo or Surround; independent of whether they have large or small speakers, most set their AV amps to 'Small'. That directs low bass to the sub and filters that ultra-low from the main front speakers. That actually makes the front speakers sound better.

So, give us a description of you existing equipment and room, and we'll try a few things that will cost nothing, and see who they work.

Amps? brand and model, and general specs.

Also, Stereo or AV amp, and to the best of your knowledge, how is the AV amp setup?

Speakers? Brand and model.

Speaker placement in the room?

General description of the room? Carpets? Curtains? Hard reflective surfaces? Soft absorbing surfaces?

I'm inclined to think, at the moment, that you have a setup problem that can be fixed. But I just don't have enough information to make a judgment.

Steve/bluewizard

I agree with other, I think there are different means by which we might be able to control the problem without spending money.

It is unusual for a room to be too bassy. Normally a typical room has too much reflected higher frequencies.

Can you tell us specifically what speakers you have and roughly how they are placed around the room. Also, if you have an AV amp, what is it, how is it set up; what are the crossover frequencies, relative levels, etc....

Normally for an AV system, it is best to start with the Sub crossover set to about 80hz, and the AV amp set to 'Small'. Then balance the channels for the listening position. Also, if you have a Sub, likely it has its own amp, with its own level control. You don't want to set it for maximum bass, you want to balance the level with the midbass.

Also note that if this is a 5.1 or other surround system, you can usually control the volume on each speaker channel independently.

Next, and again, not sure if you have stereo or Surround; independent of whether they have large or small speakers, most set their AV amps to 'Small'. That directs low bass to the sub and filters that ultra-low from the main front speakers. That actually makes the front speakers sound better.

So, give us a description of you existing equipment and room, and we'll try a few things that will cost nothing, and see who they work.

Amps? brand and model, and general specs.

Also, Stereo or AV amp, and to the best of your knowledge, how is the AV amp setup?

Speakers? Brand and model.

Speaker placement in the room?

General description of the room? Carpets? Curtains? Hard reflective surfaces? Soft absorbing surfaces?

I'm inclined to think, at the moment, that you have a setup problem that can be fixed. But I just don't have enough information to make a judgment.

Steve/bluewizard

Ok some further info.

I don't have an AV receiver, just a stereo amp. Here is my setup:
o Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 floorstanders
o Wharfedale Powercube 12a subwoofer
o Sony SCD-XB940 CD/SACD player
o Sony TA-FB940R stereo amp
o Sky+ SD box
o PS3
I have carpets, curtains, soft furnishings and normal height ceilings.
The subwoofer accepts speaker level inputs from the B-channel of my amp.
The A-channel goes to the floorstanders (bi-wired).
The volume on the sub is set quite low. Also the crossobver on the sub is set quite conservatively. I don't know the freq but the dial is only set to about 33%.

Having read the post in this thread I have concluded that my floorstanders are, I think, too close to the back wall.
They are only 3-4 inches away, angled in slightly. However I will not be "allowed" to move them any further into the room, as it "wouldn't look right".

What is between the speakers? I know that sounds like a strange question, but what I am asking is, is there a TV between them, an AV Equipment stand, a chair, etc....?

You speaker are front ported so that is a plus. But being that close to the wall will re-enforce the bass significantly.

Just curious, how does the system sound without the SUB?

Next, it seems that you have the speakers connected directly to the amp. If you connect them to the Sub, the sub will filter some of the low frequencies from the front speaker. Though, usually there is just a huge capacitor doing that filtering. Most don't consider this the best method. But you could try it and see if it improves things.

As to bi-wiring, if you are using proper sized wire, most don't feel it adds anything. Still, do as you please.

My speakers are place on either side of an equipment/tv stand. The stand is about 6" from the back wall to allow me to get at the cables and wire. To be in-line with the equipment cabinet, the speakers are about 9" to 10" from the back wall. Though even 10" is still considered pretty close.

If you are in a similar situation, you could move the equipment cabinet forward, and then also move the speakers forward to match.

So, here is the first thing I would try.

1.) Try listening to the system without the Sub, and see if it sounds more like you want it too.

2.) Next as an experiment, move the speakers about 12" from the wall, and see if the smooths out the bass. What we are trying to do is isolate the source of the problem.

3.) Next, connect your speaker to the Speaker Output on the back of the Sub. That should filter some of the lows from the main speaker. It is up to you to decide whether you like the overall sound of this. Most are inclined to think the large capacitor, while filtering the bass out, also interferes with the sound quality. I've never tried it so I can't say. But again, we are trying to isolate the cause of the problem.

I suspect it is partly a problem of speaker placement relative to the wall, and the fact that you can't set your amp to 'small'. AV amps have internal electronic filters that keep the low-bass and mid-bass separate. The low bass goes to the Sub, and the mid-bass goes to the front speakers. In a stereo configuration, low-bass goes both to the sub and to the front speakers.

A quick look at the Wharfedale site indicates they still have product brochures and manual for these speakers.

Powercube brochure -
http://www.wharfedale.co.nz/Site/WHARFEDALE/files//powercubes.pdf

Diamond 8 Series manual -
http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/images/ranges/manual_4.pdf

New Powercube Plus manual -
http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/images/ranges/manual_17.pdf

It seems that the Crossover control goes from 70hz to 170hz. I think we can assume it is linear, so 50% turn is going to be about 120hz. A 33% turn is going to be about 100hz. I think in your case, you could set it as low as it will go.

Another options is to try plugging the bass port on the front speakers. This will soften the bass, and cause it to roll-off earlier and slower.

Next, from glancing at the brochure on the sub, it has to very large bass ports on the back, how close are they to the wall, and were is your sub placed in the room? If it is close to the wall, you are probably getting interference with the rear ports. If it is in a corner, you are probably getting a double bass boost from the two nearby walls.

Play with these ideas for a while and see what you discover.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
What is between the speakers? I know that sounds like a strange question, but what I am asking is, is there a TV between them, an AV Equipment stand, a chair, etc....?

You speaker are front ported so that is a plus. But being that close to the wall will re-enforce the bass significantly.

Just curious, how does the system sound without the SUB?

Next, it seems that you have the speakers connected directly to the amp. If you connect them to the Sub, the sub will filter some of the low frequencies from the front speaker. Though, usually there is just a huge capacitor doing that filtering. Most don't consider this the best method. But you could try it and see if it improves things.

As to bi-wiring, if you are using proper sized wire, most don't feel it adds anything. Still, do as you please.

My speakers are place on either side of an equipment/tv stand. The stand is about 6" from the back wall to allow me to get at the cables and wire. To be in-line with the equipment cabinet, the speakers are about 9" to 10" from the back wall. Though even 10" is still considered pretty close.

If you are in a similar situation, you could move the equipment cabinet forward, and then also move the speakers forward to match.

So, here is the first thing I would try.

1.) Try listening to the system without the Sub, and see if it sounds more like you want it too.

2.) Next as an experiment, move the speakers about 12" from the wall, and see if the smooths out the bass. What we are trying to do is isolate the source of the problem.

3.) Next, connect your speaker to the Speaker Output on the back of the Sub. That should filter some of the lows from the main speaker. It is up to you to decide whether you like the overall sound of this. Most are inclined to think the large capacitor, while filtering the bass out, also interferes with the sound quality. I've never tried it so I can't say. But again, we are trying to isolate the cause of the problem.

I suspect it is partly a problem of speaker placement relative to the wall, and the fact that you can't set your amp to 'small'. AV amps have internal electronic filters that keep the low-bass and mid-bass separate. The low bass goes to the Sub, and the mid-bass goes to the front speakers. In a stereo configuration, low-bass goes both to the sub and to the front speakers.

A quick look at the Wharfedale site indicates they still have product brochures and manual for these speakers.

Powercube brochure -
http://www.wharfedale.co.nz/Site/WHARFEDALE/files//powercubes.pdf

Diamond 8 Series manual -
http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/images/ranges/manual_4.pdf

New Powercube Plus manual -
http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/images/ranges/manual_17.pdf

It seems that the Crossover control goes from 70hz to 170hz. I think we can assume it is linear, so 50% turn is going to be about 120hz. A 33% turn is going to be about 100hz. I think in your case, you could set it as low as it will go.

Another options is to try plugging the bass port on the front speakers. This will soften the bass, and cause it to roll-off earlier and slower.

Next, from glancing at the brochure on the sub, it has to very large bass ports on the back, how close are they to the wall, and were is your sub placed in the room? If it is close to the wall, you are probably getting interference with the rear ports. If it is in a corner, you are probably getting a double bass boost from the two nearby walls.

Play with these ideas for a while and see what you discover.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks for all this advice. I will try out some of your suggestions and report back. It might be a few days though until I get the time it deserves.

To answer your questions.
o I have a wooden TV stand with a flatscreen TV on top. It is made of solid wood and is about 4 x 2 x 2 foot.
o Even without the sub on the speakers are boomy
o I don't think the sub has a dedicated speaker out binding post, but I will have a look
o My speakers are much closer to the wall than yours. The left is about 12" away but the right one is only 4" away. The right speaker is much boomier than the left (I have measured both separately with a sound pressure meter)
o The sub is in the middle of the back wall, not in the corner but it too is probably only 4" away. I have already plugged both ports with socks. But as I said the main right speaker seem to be the main problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom