30pin to Lightning adapters - specifically music playback related

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to receive an iPhone 5 in the next few days, and I have one of these in my car GROM USB, Android Smartphone, iPod, AUX, Bluetooth Hands Free Integration to a factory car stereo

It's a little box that plugs into the stock stereo and provides USB (for flash drives), aux (for analogue) and iPod/iPhone integration. I only use the iPod/iPhone connector with my iPhone 4 and iPod Classic, and it's worked brilliantly for the last 6 months I've had it - lets you use the standard stereo controls to skip forward/back and select playlists, using the standard iPod app on the iPhone.

Grom say the Apple Lightning adapters work with iPhone 5 and existing Grom units, but naturally, being cheap, I don't want to pay £25 for an Apple adapter.

So my question is, has anyone used an eBay special adapter, and had good results with passing through audio from the dock connector? I know most of them say does not support audio and video, and even the Apple ones do, but I'm led to believe that is regarding "iPod-Out" functionality, rather than audio via dock, which is what I want in my case.

Thought I might as well update this, since no one else seems to know or have any input

Decided for a few quid I'd just take the plunge; bought two off eBay - one for £2.45 and one for £5.99 (£4.99 + £1 p&p). The £2.45 said it does not support audio or video, only charge and sync. The £5.99 said it supports sync, charge, and USB audio (which as I understand it, is what the Apple ones support).

Result? Both charge (not tried sync) but neither will work in the car with my iPod link :( Which is a real shame as a) they're both inexpensive, and the £5.99 one is a perfect fit for Apple cables (it's exactly the same shape and size as a genuine Apple 30pin cable connector, so it first spot on, and it locks the iPod link in the car in perfectly - whereas the cheaper one is bulkier - but that's going in my van just for charging on the go)

So looks like the only option I've got, unless I get recommended one by someone who's bought one, is to go to the Apple store, buy one for £25, try and and see if it works.

Did you have any luck with the official iphone adapter? It doesnt work on my car stereo.

Haven't tried one yet.

On the plus side, the one I bought that said it did usb audio, but doesn't, I complained to the seller, who refunded me in full and said I can keep it anyway. So it now lives in my van so I can switch between charging my iPhone 5 and iPod Classic.

Gotta go to the Apple store and try one of theirs though...

Genuine adapters work fine with head units. The cheap ones don't do audio out. Bought a fair few of cheap ones before buying genuine.

Just back from the Apple store, and can confirm their adapter works perfectly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom