1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30PF9975 component connection help required please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gazsmith, Jul 24, 2004.

1. gazsmith

gazsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: 30PF9975 component connection help required please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware-Philips 30PF9975 LCD TV and Panasonic SC-HT900 DVD home theatre system

Problem-1
    The DVD system is a progressive one so after researching a little I bought a Profigold component cable because I knew the 30PF9975 has a component input. Sounds straight forward until I tried to get a picture via component input (EXT5-Y Pr Pb) All I get is a message on the screen saying PICTURE FORMAT NOT AVAILABLE.eh?
    I've been playing with the menus trying in vain to improve the situ but to no avail. I have resorted to using an Ixos Scart to Scart from the AV connector on the DVD to the screens EXT2 which seems fine but now I have a redundant expensive component cable.
    The DVD player send perfectly good images via composite input and by scart but I am lost as to why the component connection is not working.
    Any help would be very gratefully appreciated before I have to start moaning at the suppliers.

Problem-2
    The yellows on sky OSD appear to be shimmering (Scart to scart connected)
    I can't find any settings to improve this

H
    E
    L
    P

I love the TV but would like to put these niggles to rest before showing it off to anyone.
    #Regards and cheers for any help#

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    With regard to your first problem, please read the review from HCC that I've put the link for below. States that will only take PAL progressive via the component inputs, not interlaced. Will also not take NTSC progressive or interlaced through the components.

HCC review

3. gazsmith

gazsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou AV Guru I read the review
    Fogive my ignorance but my DVD is set to progressive and according to the manual it says it's video output is 480i (interlaced) and 480p (progressive) but in small print it states that progressive output is not possible with PAL signals and every DVD I have says PAL on it! Is there a quick or cheap solution or have I bought the wrong DVD player?

Comet told me that this DVD would work with dvd component connected to this screen

4. YahooSerious

YahooSerious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic have been annoyingly late with their PAL progressive DVD players. Your DVD player will not send PAL progressive, and if the Philips only accepts pal, then it wont work. A decent Scart lead with RGB enabled should produce a very nice picture though, and if you dont want to change DVD players, it would be superior to even NTSC Progressive IMHO, because of the added lines of resolution in the PAL format.

-Yahoo

5. KarlD

KarlD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

About 3 months back there was another thread on component into this set. The concensus then was that 480p worked in through component

in fact chris081271 posted a screenshot of his xbox outputing 480p into his 30pf9975:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=958349&postcount=16

I seem to remember the manual saying something about accepting 480p through VGA (that might be wrong of course sinve I can't even remember where the manual is) so maybe a component/vga adapter might work? Perhaps borrow one first

Karl