1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30gb music but a 20gb ipod

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by aboylikedave, Aug 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. aboylikedave

aboylikedave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone tell me how it works if i have 30gb music on itunes on my PC but only a 20gb ipod? Will it allow me to selectively decide which 20gb of my tunes I put on my ipod?

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    This is pretty much where the iPod is unequalled. I have over a hundred gigabytes of music but I can even use the iPod Mini meaningfully with my collection due to iTunes playlisting. Doing the same with Sonicstage for example would (and in fact does, especially as it seems to give up even importing my 50Gb secondary library) drive me up the wall.

You can define fairly simplistic smart playlists, like "load 5Gb of music which I haven't heard in the last two weeks" but it goes beyond that. You can create rather sophisticated criteria for determining what goes on your iPod. And it can be updated and refilled automatically when you dock your iPod. This will however be determined by how completely your music is tagged. If it includes a high percentage of illegally downloaded or otherwise mistagged/untagged files, then it's not going to work that well until you sort out the MP3 tags a bit.