3080ti bad performance

SnakePlissken006

Novice Member
Hi I recently built a gaming pc. I got a ryzen 5 5600x, 3080ti and 16gb ram. I'm currently playing through the witcher games again before they release the witcher 3 enhanced version later this year. I finished the witcher 1 but got horrible frame rates at some points. I'm currently playing the witcher 2 and the frame rate is terrible dripping below 30s. There's no way a 3080ti could struggle with this game. I'm playing max at 4k and even tried lowering settings like shadows. Ubersampling is off too as I know that this doubles the resolution. I'm just playing at 3840 x 2160. Does anyone know why the game us running so bad? My gpu is only running about 50-60% Cpu is running about 17% only. I tried disabling smt in motherboard bios but that didn't help either. Would be really disappointed if I spent that much money on a gpu only for games to run bad.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I had this with PUBG. It could be related to the windows update. I've managed to improve my frame rates considerably, have a look at this post.
Post in thread 'Nvidia Ultimate Countdown (RTX 3000 or something else!)' Nvidia Ultimate Countdown (RTX 3000 or something else!)

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Tried those settings above from delvey and ( not 100% sure ) but was playing Days gone and i think it's improved the frame rate quite a bit on a 3070 ,
now i say not sure as it's been a while since i fired up the game but i think i was only just getting high 60's low 70's now it's in the 90's
will play around some more and see if it works or not ..

SnakePlissken006

Novice Member
Yeah I think threaded optimisation worked for witcher 2. It seems better so far. I think older games only use 1 core on cpu so this setting might help. The fact that I was getting terrible frame rate on the witcher 1 was just ridiculous. Not sure how it would affect days gone since its newer but glad it worked.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
It appears in some games it improves performance, others it does not. For example, the division 2 has the same benchmark score and FPS with the settings on or off. Maybe it will boost older games

SnakePlissken006

Novice Member
Just realised this never worked for witcher 2. Went outside town and frame rate is terrible. Why can't a 3080ti run a game from 2011? Even the xbox one x could run this game at 4k I don't understand.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
You haven't "limited" the FPS ( in game) have you ( or not known about it ) ?
there's been a few times iv started a game i haven't played in a while and for what ever reason the frame rate is set to 30FPS and or a very low resolution.

As for the CPU are all the Chipset drivers and bios up to date?
what is widows power management set to ?

SnakePlissken006

Novice Member
You haven't "limited" the FPS ( in game) have you ( or not known about it ) ?
there's been a few times iv started a game i haven't played in a while and for what ever reason the frame rate is set to 30FPS and or a very low resolution.

As for the CPU are all the Chipset drivers and bios up to date?
what is widows power management set to ?
Nah game is running 60fps a lot but drops really low to below 30 in some areas. I'm not sure if my chipset and bios drivers are up to date tbh. How do I do that?

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Nah game is running 60fps a lot but drops really low to below 30 in some areas. I'm not sure if my chipset and bios drivers are up to date tbh. How do I do that?
Chipset and bios from the motherboards website. Also ensure your RAM is set to the correct speed in the BIOs

CARLOS

Distinguished Member

Chipset and bios from the motherboards website. Also ensure your RAM is set to the correct speed in the BIOs

Chipset I would get direct from AMD or Intel as motherboard manufacturer downloads can be quite old !

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Just realised this never worked for witcher 2. Went outside town and frame rate is terrible. Why can't a 3080ti run a game from 2011? Even the xbox one x could run this game at 4k I don't understand.
Witcher 2 when it launched was a system killer however it is ancient now. Last time I player this was on my i7 5820k and 1080ti and it ran flawlessly in QHD and was playable at 4k but not as good.

If I get chance I will fire it up on my new rig (AMD 5800+ and an rtx3090 (which for gaming is almost identical to the 3080ti)

Sounds like something somewhere is not happy however as it sound alike my 2015 Intel CPU and 1080ti ran it better than your rig

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom