307 HDMI pass-thru problem?

Robbie S

Standard Member
Just been setting up my daughter's new entry-level AV system and 99% is working. However, I can't get HDMI pass-thru to work for her Philip's BD2500 blu-ray player (her only HDMI source at the moment). Blu-ray to TV works ok with both HDMI leads, but Blu-ray to HDMI-in on amp and then to TV via HDMI-out doesn't; Don't get a signal.
Yes, I know the pass-thru is currently not necesssary as she only has the one source but this is annoying me. I cannot find any settings for the amp to set up HDMI pass-thru. I assume it's just there?
This must be something basic but I am just not seeing it.

Daz1969

are you trying to get pass-through with the amp on standby as i don't think the 307 supports it, i've just checked your manual on the onkyo site and compared it to mine. Mine has a setting for HDMI control allowing pass-through but this setting is missing from the 307 manual so i presume the feature is not there.

Daz1969

should be ok then with the lead plugged into the dvd in - could be a lead issue, have you tried a different one??

Robbie S

Standard Member
Yes, I've tried 2 different leads, both of which work fine if connected directly from blu-ray to TV.
I'm sure this is a setup problem but I can't find anything in the manual that says you have to set pass-thru up. This is obviously the cheaper end of the market amp and the hdmi pass-thru is the only option; it doesn't carry audio to the amp via hdmi (I'm using digital coax for that from the blu-ray).
As a matter of interest how does the amp differentiate which hdmi signal to pass through to the hdmi-out channel if there's more than one input?
I've seen some posts talking about HDCP problems in this area but I'm just not getting any signal to the tv via the amp when the blu-ray is switched on, so I don't believe this is the problem.
Looking for the obvious here which I'm sure it is.

Daz1969

the only thing else it could be is that the leads are not 1.3 compliant, onkyo amp can be a bit funny with earlier leads. There is no setting for pass through, it just does it and the way it figures out which source to pass through is by the selector buttons on the front

Have you tried a borrowed dvd player etc

Robbie S

Standard Member
That's certainly an avenue worth exploring. I used one 2m cable I bought from ebay and one 1m cable from Amazon. The second cable was v1.4, the first unknown. I have another v1.4 cable here at home.

You said it figures out which source to use by the selector buttons on the front. Looking at a diagram of the back of the amp I see that each hdmi-in has an input in brackets (1 is DVD/DB, 2 is VCR/DVR, 3 is CBL/SAT). I had the amp's input selection set to DVD/DB but was using hdmi-in2 for the feed from the blu-ray (hdmi-in1 is right in front of one of the tv stand's rear legs).

I'll check out both possibilities on my next visit to my daughter's on Thursday.

Daz1969

You can assign each input to a selector so you can use hdmi in2 but assign it to the DVD/BD button, it tells you in the manual how to do this

Robbie S

Standard Member
I did assume there was a way of doing this but I have scoured the manual and I can't see it. The only assignments it talks about are for Component Video input and Digital Input (Page 36 of manual).

Daz1969

In that case if you leave the hdmi in the hdmi2 input you will need to use the appropriate input selector button probably VCR and assign the audio connection to this input then all should work. The amp should use it's own speakers for audio and pass thru video to the tv.

Robbie S

Standard Member
My daughter moved the amp left an inch or so and managed to get in to hdmi-in1 and that worked.:thumbsup:

Yes, it would be nice if these were assignable but she can live with it.

Many thanks for your help.

Daz1969

No probs glad it's sorted

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom