300mb to home but devices only reaching 50-90mb

AVRAG

Hi folks.

Currently getting 300mb to the home, as confirmed by fttp support, but my devices are all unreliably different on speed tests. Can anyone advise why?

Using new smart home hub (6 I think)

SurfacePro4 detects 90ish
S8 detects 50ish
Iphone 6 detects 40ish
Xbox detects 250ish

Cameron583

The WiFi on the HH6 isn't good enough to transmit that speed over WiFi consistently across a house.

You'll want to look into something like a mesh network. I use Google WiFi for my 200Mb virgin connection, and find it's really good.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
High speed requires wired networking.
Remember there may well be overlapping networks which can reduce available speeds.

AVRAG

High speed requires wired networking.
Remember there may well be overlapping networks which can reduce available speeds.
Ah well, that makes sense. But my Xbox One X is wireless and is displaying 250ish in the detailed network setting reading.
I held my phone/tablet right next to it and welcomed no change in results, so I suspect buying additional tech to boost signal around the home will be futile?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
There are two frequency bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz), it could be the Xbox is on 5GHz which is less likely to be crowded and supports higher bitrates than 2.4GHz.
The other devices may be on 2.4GHz which has lower speed limits.

AVRAG

There are two frequency bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz), it could be the Xbox is on 5GHz which is less likely to be crowded and supports higher bitrates than 2.4GHz.
The other devices may be on 2.4GHz which has lower speed limits.
AHA! Now we're talking. I did put the Xbox on the 5ghz and everything else on the 2.4. That sounds very logical!