1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

300D case recommendations?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by doctorjuggles, May 18, 2005.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Can anyone recommend a decent case for my newly acquired Canon 300D please?
    Looking for something that's not gonna break the bank, but at the same time I don't need to buy the cheapest thing out there. Just something that'll protect it and house a few accessories.

Thank you

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well i take it you're going to want to put extra lenses in it ect? Your going to need something of half decent size trust me

I have a Lowepro Nova 2 AW i posted some pics of it here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209713

I'd not get anything smaller then that, you'll soon realise you need bigger if you do. I know already i need a biiger then the one i have

3. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,565
    I've got the Lowepro Off-Road, great if you like a modular belt/shoulder design. I.e. I can detach the lens cases if I know that I won't need them...

Love it, but there are so many types to choose from it all depends what you want...But listen to Seany, size is everything...Camera, Kit Lens, Telephoto, Prime, Spare Batteries, Speedlight, Spare Memory Cards, Filters, Lens Cleaner, Bottled Water or Stronger....Mobile phone, iPod Photo, the list goes on and on...

4. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Phew, easy guys. I've only just bought the 300D, the best camera I've owned before that is a rubbish little 35mm Fuji job. I have the 300D and the lens at the moment and I'm going to see how I go with that.

I've mainly bought it for use on my trips back home (South Africa) where I'll be using it for wildlife photography. Obviously it'll be used to take high quality pictures of everything, but I'm not so sure I'll be needing more than one lens, will I?

Oh ****, what have I gotten myself into?

Thanks for the advice though.
    What do you make of deals like this then?

5. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    doctorjuggles - just to let you know that prodigital2000 are excellent eBayers! I bought a Canon 20D from them three weeks ago! In my hand 7 days after auction finished!!

6. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,565
    That deal seams pretty cool...

Apologies when getting carried away....You ask whether one lens is enough for wildlife photography, I don't know it depends on what lens it is ;-) My gut feel says, no it is not enough, you will get too many shots where you won't get close enough...I think, even not knowing what your current lens is, that you will end up with two lenses very soon...

Depending on what type of transport arrangements you have and how much you do on foot, but I find that a hip bag with shoulder support is very comfortable to carry things along for a long day out...

There is no right answer to this, only you know what you will want...

7. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hurrah.....another prospective bankrupt.. :rotfl: :rotfl:

You say 'wildlife' and 'high quality'...

Firstly, don't expect to get the best unless you are prepared to spend a bit.

Wildlife demands big money lenses if you want long reach and quality.
    Do LOTS of reading, read LOTS of reviews, then you will see that the best is Canon 'L' series glass.
    I am biased though, as I love my 100-400L, but for serious wildlife shots I think even that might be too few mm's (depending on your subject).

On yes, and you'll need that battery grip, couple more batteries, bag, more 'L' series lenses, extra CF cards, flashgun, 'L' series lenses, Photoshop CS, new hard drive for the Puter, 'L' series lenses....... :eek: :rotfl: :eek: :rotfl:

8. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey, I'm still recovering from buying an entire home cinema system after 'thinking about buying a bigger telly.'

Anyway, as I saw, it's for wildlife, but I'm thinking that just by having a 300D and the supplied Canon lens, I'm already many, many steps ahead of someone with the average camera. I've bought this on the recommendation of a friend who assures me that just a little know how will produce some great pictures.

Damn you all, you and your expensive recommendations! :eek:

Seriously, though, I'll probably spend some time learning how to use it first. I'm one of those people who could photograph the world's most beautiful woman and make her look like Anne Widdecombe. Somehow I just take bad pictures.

By the time I've figured out how to use the thing, I'll have enough for a decent lens, I reckon.

9. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    For future reference ... the Sigma 50-500mm has a great range: it is very nice at 50mm too if you fancy a few Anne Widdecombe portrait type shots! Bang per buck awesome. Resale awesome. Build awesome. Image quality awesome. Usefulness as a club in case you get hijacked back home ... awesome :rotfl: :rotfl:

The thing with wildlife is you always want longer, esp. birds, but it's the whole price/quality/weight/usability ratio you need to consider and the Bigma just about hits it all on the button. It will do you in Africa.

Ok, so I'm a fan and I regret selling mine and replacing it with a dud that had to be returned ... we all make mistakes!

Use it with the Kit Lens and you're covered ... for a while at least, until the wide and walkaround ranges start to bug you.

The Battery Grip is a great buy ... JohnDM put me onto that item and I am eternally grateful. Ebuyer had them cheap, £75 I think, and I got mine from there and ordered spare batteries via ebay HK seller.

10. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Best advice of all.........enjoy :smashin:

PS, did I mention you'll probably want some 'L' series glass in the near future.......... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

11. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    :eek: :eek: £600 :eek: :eek:

:rotfl: I'm thinking it'll be useful for beating off hijackers and elephants too!

Can someone please point me in the direction of a place to learn what all the lens figures mean? I just went to the Canon website to look for 'L series' lenses and was accosted by calculus thinly disguised as product names.

12. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,565
    Perfect example that there is no real life difference between camera's. I use a Nikon and have the same effect...I think it is a conspiracy by the manufactures :rotfl:

13. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Lots of reading material for you......

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

http://photonotes.org/about/

http://www.dpreview.com/

:D