1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3000 to spend, help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by beecheyp, Nov 22, 2004.

1. beecheyp

beecheyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a budget of around 3000 and need some advice on which is the best screen to buy. I have seen so far a Sony KEP42M1S, a Sony KDEP42XS1 and a Panasonic TH42PE30B. The baords seem to be biased in favor of the pana but on Paper the sony offers better resolution etc.
    IS there much to choose between them?
    Also I have noticed that some plansma's include anti burn technology in them! What has this done for the likes of watching sky on a plasma (static sky 1 images etc) and also gaming (abox - Halo2 a must)?
    Any help much appreciated and sorry is this has been covered before!

Paul.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Screen burn is not likely from static logos on Sky as, for the most part, the logos disappear during the advert breaks. The only two channels I know of that keep the logo on all the time are Challenge and Boomerang although there may be others. Also, you would have to play a game for a very long time to get permanent burn in although you might get temporary image retention which will go away after a few minutes of 'normal' TV use.

Resolution isn't everything as regards picture quality and the Sony is, I think, an ALIS panel so the resolution isn't what it seems to be (do a search for ALIS and you'll find loads of threads) - I'm not anti ALIS BTW as I own a Hitachi plasma with an ALIS panel.

HTH

John

3. beecheyp

beecheyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Again,

Have done another couple of hours digging and amnow leaning towards a TH-42PHD7 at about 2600 from av-sales. I know from looking at previous posts that there is not that much information on them yet but it sounds great from what I have heard.

Does anyone happen to know what extra bits I would need with this to get sky + DVD player (Sony DAVS550) working i,e, add on cards as I believe that the unit does not come with a tuner etc?

Help and advice much appreciated as I have not got a clue about a lot of this,

Cheers,

Paul.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Best way of using these 2 is a component board, and a JS RGB to VGA converter. The DAVS is not too bad on component, but I think you might upgrade it to some sound to match the splendours of your plasma choice at some point. The component board will give you the connection you will need then, and you'd then want to trade the VGA converter for a component converter, not too hard in classified I should think. That will enable component video switching with your shiny new AV amp. There, that's your toy money spent for the next few years!