1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30" TV: LCD vs Plasma

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by eeper, Sep 9, 2003.

1. eeper

eeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi folks,

I'm after a flat panel tv in the 30"size range and am having some difficulty in deciding between a Plasma or LCD display. My only requirement is that it be wall-mountable and price is not really an object - I just want the best possible picture. I like the look of that Sony LCD, but it has had really bad write-ups.

No-one seems to be able to give me a straight answer about the shelf-life of a plasma tv. Will screen burn affect me if I am not leaving the same image up all the time and is it true that I have to get a plasma tv "topped up" every few years?

If any one has any recommendations or an answer to the above questions, then I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks

2. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    lol, I think I am going to have to 'invent' a plasma re-gasing kit a bit like those JR ink jet cartridge refills! It could have an empty bottle with a lead on it which plugs into the composite input on the plasma display and I could supply a pair of those throw away plastic gloves to use when connecting it up. The bottle will actually be filled with a colourless, odourless gas - you just need to hold it upside down for 30 minutes to top-up. Good for at least 12 months. They could sell the kits in major bird-brain electrical retailers for fifty quid.

No eeper, plasmas don't have any servicing requirements such as the fabled re-gasing. The only advice recommended is to turn the brightness down low as soon as you set it up and avoid static images for the first 100 hours or so.

If you're just leaving your plasma on the shelf, it could last for decades, but if you intend to use it then manufacturers tend to state a 50% reduction in brightness over 25-30,000 hours use (about 8 years average viewing). Most owners tend to run plasmas at much lower brightness levels than factory defaults, so the real useable lifespan may be quite a bit more. This, of course, assumes that the unit does not suffer an electronic / mechanical malfuntion before-hand.

3. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'm currently looking into Plasmas myself, one thing I've noticed from looking around is that they all seem to have varying picture quality ranging from appauling to very good. What kind of settings or modes do you have with regards to setting up the image quality? Are there any presets? I don't just mean brightness contrast etc.

Cheers

4. eeper

eeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some chappy in the Sony shop showed me a feature on their Plasma tvs whereby the image "jumps" left and right by a few millimetres every second. He claimed this reduced burn-in. Is he talking nonsense?

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    No he isn't. This technique 'spreads' the aging effect as produced by logos etc around the screen, and so slows it.

As for what technology to choose - they both have advantages and disadvantages - some are more immediate; others take time. In theory an LCD won't age as a Plasma does - but in reality, I suspect the lifespan of a Plasma in sensible, normal use will extend beyond your own upgrade/replace time cycle.

As for the more immediate differences - I could express my preference here (LCD) but, really, you can only decide for yourself.

The only pointer I can offer is that, all TVs, as displayed in the majority of retailers, will NOT be being shown at their best: poor quality signal feeds shared between many sets, connected up by imbeciles.

To do a true evaluation, you need to see your chosen shortliost of TVs being driven in the manner you will drive them - which should be (in most cases) an RGB feed from a digital box with a clean signal or from a DVD player.

6. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

It is a rather irritating feature though and I think quite noticable.

I might prefer plasma. Better black level and viewing angle than LCD, plus LCD tends to have a lot of jagged edges to pictures and most are poor at coping with movement.

A Plasma's image is very similar to a CRT TV's.

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    LCD viewing angle is no longer an issue of note on more recent sets. And the 'jaggies' are an artefact of the scaler, not of the screen technology, so, all other things being equal, are just as likely to arise on either platform.

As for movement - again, better LCDs have this covered with faster response times.

Which just leaves black levels as the remaining issue. My preference for LCD (a good one, of course) comes from a more subjective view - I can't really say any more than that I like the way an LCD image looks. Which is why I recommend anyone to just go and see for themselves.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes indeed, and a whole raft of new LCD displays round the corner! In 30-32" it could be that plasma will be superceded quite soon. LCD's are light also, and are easier to mount, don't need something by I.K. Brunel to mount them to. All screens have faults, except my projector where the fault is in the environment...the sun keeps rising every day. You just pick the one who's faults annoy you least, well that's the pessimist's view.

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The contrast ratio on LCD screens does not (And cannot) to my knowledge match that of a decent Plasma Screen.

I have yet to see an LCD screen that can produce a picture that can justify their price. Viewing angles are also an issue. Certainly not 180 degrees as with Plasma.

Good for the kitchen or a bedroom but I wouldnt be using one as my main screen. I have had my screen for 9 months and use it all the time for gaming. I watch all the sky channels and no problems with burn in.

When you look at the size a well setup quality plasma screen is hard to beat really. I look back on the posts where people say a decent RPTV is as good / better than Plasma and it just makes m laugh :laugh:

10. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Agreed, but they are improving

Disagree. Not an issue with newer, better screens, such as the Samsung and Sharp 22's. In both cases, the picture remains watchable (although I'm not sure why you'd need this) in all 4 directions, right to the point where the bezel begins to hide it - say 170 degrees either way.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yeah, this viewing angle thing verges on specification snobbery. It's hopeless to watch anything more than say 45 degrees off centre, so whilst it's essential to have a perfect image to there, anything after that is a waste of time. RPTV clearly still has a problem with this, but no modern LCD does. Newr LCD's manage about 650:1 contrast, as good as 3 year old plasma maybe, but projectors are doing much better now, so progress is inevitable. Plasma watch out.

12. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree that the useable viewing angle on plasma is still currently better than LCD, but I am certain that it is impossible for any screen to have a 180 degree viewing angle. This would make the seating position at right angles to the display, which is clearly daft. With CRT and a curved screen, you would still see a bit, I suppose, but not worth watching.

I reckon that for 30-35" displays, LCD will soon be the default choice. This size of display falls within the TV category rather than home cinema display. Units of this size are more likely to be fully integrated with tuners and speakers etc.

13. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    tech just keeps moving forward, there are new types of tvs waiting in the wings ie OLED these things can actualy be rolled up
    so the tv would be the projector screen. just right now a set would cost quarter of a mill. still give it 5 years and will probaly start seeing them in retail in japan. they can also fit inside a sheet of glass, its that thin.
    then there this holographic stuff there desighning at sony.....
    on and on it goes

Dont think lcd will ever over take plasma. there best for smaller tvs. just seen a pick of samsungs 81 ins plasma what the fudge
    also pioneer are soon to release a 61 ins model
    so just as lcd seems to be catching up the plasma clan up the stakes. the response times need to get down to 10 before there be a real solutoin. 16s the best at mo and u still get bad motion blurr and ghosting, just play UT2003 on em. Terrible (nice colours though)