1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30"LCD - philips vs Sharp vs LG

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richard plumb, Oct 18, 2003.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    Apart from the wildcards of the Hitachi and Philips 32" plasmas, these three are on my shortlist .

I've seen good reviews for both the Aquos and the LG, but haven't seen any yet for the philips.

My local store has the old LG in stock, along with the Sharp and Philips. The Philips looks great IMO, but I can't help thinking that it has a very low contrast compared to the others (or plasma)

Has anyone got the 30" and can comment on the picture quality? Or point me in the direction of a review, either online or print?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    30" Aquos is the dogs mate!!!!

3. cjc1

cjc1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spent a good while looking at small plasmas (32") and large LCD (up to 30"). In the end I got the Sony KLV-23HR2 because I did not really need anything bigger. However at present if I needed to go to up in size I think plasma is slightly ahead on PQ. However I don't expect this to last long as long as the inprovements on the smaller LCD can be replicated on larger sizes.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    the Sharp is a little more expensive (at least £2200 compared to just sub £2000 for the philips)

But I like the idea of a separate tuner box, and only one cable to the screen. I think the philips is integrated, which means lots of cables potentially up the wall.

As Lakes have them both in (and for a pretty good price for a high st. store), I might try and take some DVDs in, and ask to look at some Sky digital through s-video/RGB.