1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30 inch lcd with DVI input

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by cybersoga, Mar 24, 2003.

1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm waiting for the right 30inch LCD screen to turn up on the market, mostly be used with DVI but would be nice to have scart inputs. I've seen what Samsung has to offer and i'm not too impressed with the quality of the current range, and I like Sony's new "floating" 30 inch LCD because the picture quality is top notch but I dont want all that glass, the frame is too big and I don't want speakers - which makes me wonder, is there a professional version of this product that's just the monitor? Or are there any other manufacturers of 30inch LCD panels?

2. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    NEC do the LCD3000 which may be worth a look.

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Contrast ratio of 350:1 isn't very good, maybe I should ask the same question 1 year from now... But it is the right size, i'm tempted but I think i'd have to see one working.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    cybersoga

I have one arriving on Thursday - just for a few hours but I'll give it a run with DVD and SKY and see how it looks.

Best regards

Joe

5. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I see there is an LCD4000 40 inch version also!

Pat

6. bewty

bewty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Joe,
    I am looking forward to your views on this screen.
    I'm after a second flat panel for a kitchen and the nearest solution so far is the "old" 32 c1 sony plasma.
    I don't want speakers or a tuner as I will only be using the spare s video out from a sky+ box in an existing multi room set-up.
    I already have a 15m Van Damme cable (I do not think the long cable compensation system NEC provide with this screen works with s video input but never mind) for the job.
    My 2 concerns are-
    Picture quality being fed s video from Sky+
    The surround, does it look too dull/industrial for a kitchen and it seems quite deep (4.5" + bracket) especially if you cannot remove the handles on the back.
    Your views would be much appreciated.
    Bewty

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    Bewty

Had the NEC LCD3000 at the house for an hour this AM.

First impressions when actually getting to grips with it are its tiny but rugged looking - as you say quiet deep front to back; though they have stepped the back panel so side on it gives the illusion of being slimmer than it actually is.

The carry handles are screwed in from the inside of the rear panel so not too easy to remove - I' didn't have a manual so cant confirm if there is a less than obvious way to do this.

Overall quiet a plain looking bezel though they could have done with a slightly smaller model number logo on the top right hand side.

There are two brightness modes - the High brightness modes would only be useable at home if you happened to have a swarm of bees in your kitchen to drown out the very high pitched and annoying cooling fan - I cant believe anyone with ears actually put this fan inside a piece of kit at this price.

There is a fairly comprehensive set of on-screens menus with full integrator type adjustments so getting your picture tweaked to suit you and your system should be achievable.

The input selector on the remote is of the toggle type so a bit of a pain when swapping inputs - using RS232 you do have discreet selection I believe.

Having initially had the NEC rep connect the panel up to his laptop and allowed it to auto calibrated - this includes an ambient light sensor the panel looked very sharp with a PC signal.

Hooking up SKY+ via S-Video on this setting gave a very garish and overblown set of reds - SKY+ seems to be permanently on 501 these days and those indent logos were all over the place.

A bit of tweaking on the menus and it was possible to quell the reds though and achieve an acceptable image - to be fair if this was going to be my prime TV I would want a bit more time with it to assess its video quality; I have requested the panel on loan for a weekend to have a bit more of a play with it.

I also hooked up the DVD player via Interlaced YUV (need smaller fingers as the BNC connectors are spaced very close together) and this did look good without having to tweak it too much.

I think for your kitchen you would not be disappoint - as long as you never set it into full brightness mode and to be fair the reduced output mode was more than bright enough in my TV room which is South facing and gets lots of daylight in the mornings.

The long cable compensation does appear to be a VGA only tool - though pretty comprehensive and ideal for commercial installers.

Trust this has been helpful for now.

Best regards

Joe

8. bewty

bewty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Many thanks Joe, very insightful
    out of interest is the fan on in low brightness mode and is it audible?
    Will you be stocking these screens?

9. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If I got one, i'd connect it to my shuttle XPC by DVI-D and use a RGB scart sync seperator to connect my RGB scart devices. Initially i'd use my PC as a DVD player and the nebula digitv card for watching TV.

I would really like to hear comments on how Power DVD looks from a PC via DVI-D, I know it's going to be a nice sharp progressive picture but what about colour depth compared with my Sony TV & dvd player, will I still see the finer details in dark and light areas? If it's that good I might learn to ignore the fan noise from my PC!

I could also buy a progressive scan DVD player in the future.