1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30-32": Plasma or LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richard plumb, Oct 18, 2003.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    looking to replace my ageing 32" widescreen CRT, and I'm looking at around the same size (about 3 metres viewing distance max.)

I saw a philips and LG flatron 30" LCD in my local Lakes, and both looked very nice. Slight lack of black on the flatron, but looked very smooth (maybe more so than the Philips). LG was £2k, Philips was £2,200

The shop is also doing the 32" philips pixel plus plasma for £2,200

Given the choice, which would you go for? I'm kind of wary of plasma because of burn-in (lots of cbeebies watching and Tivo 'now playing' screens.)

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    PLASMA!!!!

don't fret about screen burn - it takes a lot to do real damage - mine gets residual images of logos e.g. when I've been watching Sky coverage of cricket these can be seen against a black background (analogue ceefax) but they fade pretty much straight away when you switch to another channel.

Part of the solution is to not have the contrast/brightness set too high - less problems all round.

As ever advice is to get whatever you do through John Lewis as you'll get their 5 year top notch warranty for free

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    wilber clearly likes plasmas.

My choice would be LCD, no question.

The point is - the two technologies are different, and both have their shortcomings. In both cases, too, different makes & models perform better than others.

So, when someone says avoid LCD because the viewing angle is poor - it may well be, on their cheap Laptop PC screen. But it most certainly isn't an issue for many larger and/or upmarket TV LCDs.

This is one of those "you can really only choose for yourself" questions. Spend a little time in the company of each, and decide which YOU like the LOOK of!

4. adeyb

adeyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have both LCD and plasma

LCD sucks

it is banished to the kitchen and there it shall stay until the day it breaks, then shall it become a BMX ramp

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Andyb what LCD do you have? Sharp Aquos is lovely Darkest blacks and you cant watch it in Bright sunlight very little reflection (makes placing opposite a window in a bright room easy). Plasma in general will consume more power, last half the life (Sharp LCD and Panny Plasma life ratings) weight twice as much and reflect alot more light. LCD is a new technology and will take a bit of getting used to Plasma is phosphur based so looks more similar to CRT PQ. LCD will be lower res and cost more! unfortunatley Sharp have just stopped their 3 year warranty Offer. in terms of LCD Sharp Aquos is the best!!!!! Panny, Samsung or LG look very poor next to properly setup sharp!!!!

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I really liked the look of the philips too, but I'm leaning towards the Sharp, if I can find a good price.

The philips can be had for just under £2000, with wall mount included. What money am I looking at for the Sharp 30HV4 with a wall bracket?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  8. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Deary me if we worry about power consumption we'd never add anything to our set up and panel lifetime for a plasma is estimated at 5 to 10 years, weight, who cares, reflections - I have none worth mentioning & who in their right mind watches any tV opposite a window?.

Now then do you watch sport? 'cos that's where LCD looks terrible. motion blur is a real issue Oh and blacks to my eye on my neighbours aquos look blue and yes viewing angle is an issue with his screen.

In years to come LCD will probably become the technology of choice but as of today with large panels, it doesn't cut it

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    richard plumb

One SMALL point - if you replace a 32" 16:9 CRT TV with a wall mounted 30" 16:9 Flat panel and your seating position stays the same you'll get a much smaller image to view; I'd consider going for something a tad larger.

Joe

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    And the planet wont last much longer either!!!!
    Anyone wall mounting it!!!!!!! 5-10 yes 30,000 hours (panasonics figures) Sharp quote 60,000 hours lamp life the panel will outlast the lamp!!!
    With CRT you cant but a wall mount LCD often its where you what it! EG French doors in your lounge!!! And you can or a TV in a conservatory!!!
    Motion Blur on Aquos is no worse than Plasma and certainly not as bad you get from the source EG SKY+
    LCD looks different to Plasma/CRT and they aren't as good but very close and they get beeter but Sharp ASV are the best!One the size issue a 30" LCD will be slightly smaller 1/2" in width and 1/3" in height ish!!!!

11. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    So, RP what you gonna go for..... LCD or Plasma....? We wanna know!

12. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At risk of arguing with an acknowledged expert, in my experience any 30" flat panel, be it Plasma or LCD has EXACTLY the same viewable area as a 32" CRT tv. This is because although the screen size of the CRT is 32", you can't see all of it.

This has been obvious with LCD panels for computers for years and it is widely known that 17" CRT monitor is matched for size by a 15" LCD.

The same with TV's. The CRT always needs to be 2" larger to be equivalent. Its a shame the manufacturers don't publish this information because its confusing and a strange way of marketing the screens. I believe however that the new Toshiba LCD is marketed as 32" even though it is 30", to make it more easily comparable to equivalent CRT screens

13. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Gregorski, the difference is that a CRT screen will probably be around 12 inches closer because of the size of the thing. Put in a wall mounted flat panel and the screen is further away and therefore looks smaller. if you are going to sit 3-4 meters away
    get the biggest screen you can afford.

HD, I disagree about the motion blur. I looked at the Sharp range in detail before I bought the Panny P6 and my P5 last year, and it does not compare at all. Put Halo on both screens and the sharp looks terrible compare to the Plasma, it was one of my main drivers to go down the Plasma route, but I agree of all LCDs Sharp is the best buy a considerable margin.

Neil.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Gregorski

Neil has hit the nail on the head :smashin:

Agreed that marketed 'dimensions' can be misleading but as Neil says replace a conventional CRT with a wall mounted flat panel and leave your furniture in place and you'll find your TV looks 'much' further away: 'Go Large' when contemplating a flat panel.

Best regards

Joe

PS adeyb - they must have miniature BMX tracks in Manchester :)

15. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    ?

TV is currently in the corner, in an alcove. The screen would be exactly the same distance as a flat panel (flat panel may actually be slightly closer) - and viewable area is the same (75cm vs 76cm)

I might take my xbox in and play for a bit, as games would be an important part of my viewing.

I understand the 'big is beautiful' argument, but it has to be liveable, and I'm concerned that a 42" is too big for casual viewing. I have a projector for movies etc.

No nearer a decision really - except for having a little price sliding scale in my head...I'll share it with you (I don't know where I am settling there yet)

£1000 - Nice 32" CRT (flat screen blah blah)

£1500 - Very nice 32" CRT (pixel plus, Picture frame etc)

£2000 - 30" LCD flatscreen (same as above but lovely and thin)

£3000 - 42" plasma (panasonic 6 series?)

The tart in me screams plasma, but thats double a really nice CRT, and the LCD is only an extra £500 or so.

16. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Richard - let the tart rule :)

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I meant in comparison to other LCD's Plasma is a better PQ no denying it, But that does not make it a better product! CRT is better than Plasma so if PQ was all we cared about then no one would have plasma or LCD!!!

18. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not a view I share. In fact this is all just a matter of opinion as to which shortcoming (and yes, CRTs have them, as well as Plasmas and LCD, and they are all different) one personally finds most intrusive.

For ME (I can only speak for me) the typically poor

- geometry
    - convergence
    - stability
    - refresh flicker
    - predisposition to colour errors (eg due to magnetism)

of CRTs is (and always has been) a significant array of shortcomings which I dislike intensely.

To ME - a good LCD produces THE BEST picture.

I'm not denying your opinion. I'm just making it clear that that is all it is. Not a statement of absolute fact.

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    True I guess my professionalopinion is just that but a Beovision3 does blow any plasma i have seen away! and any LCD. The Beovision 5 is awesome but the 3 wins purely on quallity IMPO

20. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I've had both a 43" Pio 433HDE Plasma and now have a Sony 30" LCD.

I sit about 9ft away from the screen and found this to be too close with the 43" plasma. It was fine with good DVD's but normal TV stuff via Sky+ was too distracting with all the artefacts etc and low rate channels such as H&L were not watchable at all.

Personally I am much happier with the picture from the Sony LCD...although I have added an iScan Ultra to help improve Sky+, which it does well.

The things I did not like about the Plasma were the awfull buzzing noise that could be easily heard over normal volume levels. Peoples faces never looked right to me and never mind how much I fiddled with the settings I could not get a picture I liked. Screen burn was also an issue I worried about but probably unduly.

Don't get me wrong though...the Sony is not perfect. Image lag can be a problem but I've only seen it when watching football/rugby...but then again on the plasma the grass looked very weird anyway.

I do not have a problem with the black levels which seem very similar to the HDE plasma to me.

The Sony has two fans that are constantly on but they are not noticeable even when you mute the sound.

I have my Sky+ going through the iScan Ultra along with my Gamecube, XBOX and PS2, which then connect to a Denon 3803. My Denon 2900 DVD connects to the amp also. The output from the amp is then split between the LCD TV and a Sony HS10 PJ and for the most part everything looks fab.

Low rate Sky+ channels still look bad but always will do unless you watch on a CRT and then if you look close you'll see the same problems. But the main channels and movie channels look excellent and DVDs can look superb.

All that said…if I has the room I would go for a 36” CRT. Much better value IMO. With the prices of LCD/Plasma TV dropping and the quality improving so quickly your 2,3 or 4 grand LCD/plasma will not be worth a fraction of that in a year or two’s time.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Cheers, Lee