• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

3 zone AV

robpax

Standard Member
Hi

1st post so please go easy on me :)
I have been looking at a 3 zone av solution, the main room to have 5:1 audio and the other 2 rooms with just analogue. I really liked the look of the Onkyo tx-nr 818, but on further reading when using the 3 zones it reduces the main room to 3:1. Does anyone know of any other option out there rather than having an additional amp for one of the zones.
Thanks in advance

dante01

Distinguished Member
You can only power passive zones with onboard amplification not being used by the main zone, so if you have a 5.1 setup in the main room powered by a 7.1 receiver then it only leaves 2 channels of amplification free to power another pair of speakers elsewhere. You cannot expect an AV receiver to power more channels than it has onboard amplifiers to power.

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
To get what you want you need an amp with 9 separate internal amps to power all zones at the same time. This will be costly. What speakers do you have? What budget? A stereo power amp or t class amp may be a cheaper and easier option.

robpax

Standard Member
Starting a complete setup to be honest as moving, was going to have a central point to wire back to. Trying to sort my options on the receiver to see what cash I have left as to how much I can go to on the speakers. The 2nd and 3rd zone will be ceiling mount prob something like Polk rc60i. Not even thought about the main room with the 5:1.
Not to sure on the best way to set it up really, cabling is not a problem as the house is gutted at the min and I am an electrician so have a bit of knowledge.But any ideas are greatly appreciated.
As for budget initial outlay can be around £2000 not inc tv's, but as long as the cabling is in at this point parts can be built up over time.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Something else that you may not be aware of is that AV receiver's are limited to non digital sources when it comes to additional audio zones. An AV receiver can only convey sources accessed via analogue inputs, their USB port or via their networking capabilities and cannot output HDMI or S/PDIF sourced audio to additional audio zones. There are a few receivers available than can facilitate a second independent HDMI zone, but the amplification to power speakers would originate from the HDMI equiped destination device if dealing with an AV receiver with additional HDMI zone output capabilities.

robpax

Standard Member
Thanks for the heads up on this never knew zone 2-3 are analogue only.... Back to the drawing board I think. Wanted the 1 receiver to to the lot but this is looking out of the question.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom