3 year old homebuild gone faulty

nvingo

Distinguished Member
OK so I need advice how to determine which component has died.
Built a PC /exactly/ three years ago.
Last weekend it was running a file copy, (I forget which now, had backed up 4TB and 5TB USB drives to 10TB one, and was backing up data from two networked Humax PVRs to the 10TB drive). Left it on Saturday night, nearly finished.
Sunday morning, PC was 'off' but with the white LED (case power button) still glowing.
Went to restart it, LED went off. No response. Flicked the PSU power switch, still no response.

Expected that it was the PSU. Have read a little, can 'trip' the PSU into starting the fan. Left until today to extract the PC from its home and open the case to try this. PSU fan starts.
Reconnected PSU and still no change. disconnected the ATX_12V connector between PSU and motherboard, fans and LEDs run. Not connected to monitor, but I don't expect there was any video output. No POST beeps heard.

Here's the parts:

1618064815695.png
ItemGA-AX370-GAMING K5 + 1800X
QF833108
QTY1
Price£341.65
StatusShipped
raw
Help
Est delivery date 11/04/2018
1618064828581.png
ItemRyzen 7 1800X
QF778677
QTY1
Price£0.00
StatusShipped
raw
Help
1618064841574.png
ItemMCY-005P-KWN00
QF722052
QTY1
Price£83.31
StatusShipped
raw
Help
One of these which I bought in person from Maplin

1618064888050.png
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 CPU Liquid Cooler​

mail
Western Digital WDS500G2B0B WD Blue 500 GB 3D NAND SATA Internal Solid State Drive - Black
Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.£112.04
mail
Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x SATA Internal BD/DVD/CD Burner - No Software
Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.£52.50

mail
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit - Black
Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.£169.29
Click here to view image for your order

GIGABYTE AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme 11Gb...

Item ID: 323180657199​
Quantity: 1​
Estimated delivery: Wed. 25 Apr.​
Paid: £680.00 with PayPal​

Product nameSKUQTY
Sunshine-tipway STW 5.25
Sunshine-tipway STW 5.25" Internal Card Reader Media Multi-Function Dashboard PC Front Panel Type-C USB 3.1 USB 3.0 Support CF MD XD MMC TF M2 MSC50121
Product DetailsPrice
mail
Acer RT280K 28" FreeSync 4K Ultra HD HDMI Gaming Monitor
Quantity: 1
Item Code: UM.PR0EE.001
£199.97
Sub total £199.97

So, what can I do, without parts available to substitute, to determine which to buy as replacement?
As I first suspected PSU - mine is a 'Bronze' 850W, £50; for circa £100 a 'Gold' replacement could be bought - but it seems this isn't the culprit.
A motherboard of similar characteristics is around £150.
If the processor is at fault but the MB is not, a processor upgrade to a R7-2700 or better, upto a R9-3900X/3950X (£400-£650) could be on the cards- after all, why not.

Where do I go from here?

Last edited:

Bolosun

If you think the PSU is working, disconnect everything else except the motherboard and try it. Assuming that works, start adding more bits, eg the graphics card first.
But I would say it is your PSU that has gone faulty. Hopefully it hasn't taken anything else out with it.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Thanks.
From first post, I'd already tried:
Have read a little, can 'trip' the PSU into starting the fan. Left until today to extract the PC from its home and open the case to try this. PSU fan starts.
Reconnected PSU and still no change. disconnected the ATX_12V connector between PSU and motherboard, fans and LEDs run.
All changes done while PSU switched off, then switched on to try.

PSU alone, motherboard connector short the green and black, PSU fan runs.

Connected PSU to motherboard (motherboard connector and ATX_12V), nada.

Removed the ATX_12V, tried again and all fans and lights on.

Can't try without graphics card, as that processor doesn't support onboard graphics (was caught out by that when first assembled, had to temporarily fit a VGA card until the Aorus/Nvidia card was purchased) but as the ATX_12V isn't connected, I assume the PC isn't capable of booting - outputting video?.

SyStemDeMoN

Sounds like the PSU to me.
That's quite a budget PSU for your set up. I learned a long time ago to use a quality PSU. Just hope that it has not spiked and taken some components with it.

oneman

£50 is not a lot for a 850w PSU. Obviously any component can fail at any time but after disk drives PSU are the part I most commonly see failing and what you described does tend to point at it.

Do you have a spare else get one from Amazon, they are pretty easy to do returns and will only have to pay return postage.

nvingo

Distinguished Member

oneman

Hadn't thought of doing that.

Would you just suggest I just try a 'Gold' one, or recommend a brand?

Last few budget ones I've used are Corsair CX750. Not cheap but that would be fine for your system without breaking a sweat even if you decided to get GTX3080 and 5800x in the future.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Judging by the user photos on that PSU listing it's not actually 80Plus Bronze certified, it's just a copycat logo. So it's the manufacturer claiming it has equivalent to bronze efficiency, rather than something independently tested.

It's not in the list of certified PSUs either, which confirms it:

And given the numerous obvious spelling and grammar mistakes they're clearly not even a professional enough company to get it looked over by an english speaking proof-reader. For a £10 product that's understandable, but for a £50 one?

That PSU does have the potential to be very poor quality.

or recommend a brand?

Any sort of proven brand with a track record of producing units that have been technically reviewed to be reasonable quality. Be Quiet often do some reasonably priced stuff.

oneman

Last few budget ones I've used are Corsair CX750. Not cheap but that would be fine for your system without breaking a sweat even if you decided to get GTX3080 and 5800x in the future.
I should probably check before posting. I am thinking of Corsair TX750m. The motherboard cable is fixed but the other cables are modular which is a nice surprise for a PSU in its price range.

PSU - the only component thats able to kill the rest of them. Not the place to buy the knock off, get a branded one, best you can afford as they last and often can be used in the next PC you build.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
and often can be used in the next PC you build
Depends how often you build PCs; the PSUs I already had three years ago, were unsuitable to power this one (pre-ATX).

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Have placed order with CCL for Gigabyte Aorus P850 @ £102, Amazon have it but their dynamic pricing put me off - £117 when I was comparing jumped to £118 when I added to basket. Almost like they were 'pressuring' me to commit to purchase.

jimscreechy

PSU - the only component thats able to kill the rest of them. Not the place to buy the knock off, get a branded one, best you can afford as they last and often can be used in the next PC you build.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. You can skimp on everything else but always go for a quality supply.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
The price on Amazon of the PSU rose to £140 over the week, then fell again to £101.

Never mind, my order from CCL arrived today. All fitted in this evening, powered up and

But I would say it is your PSU that has gone faulty. Hopefully it hasn't taken anything else out with it.
Sounds like the PSU to me.
That's quite a budget PSU for your set up. I learned a long time ago to use a quality PSU. Just hope that it has not spiked and taken some components with it.
£50 is not a lot for a 850w PSU. Obviously any component can fail at any time but after disk drives PSU are the part I most commonly see failing and what you described does tend to point at it.
no change in symptoms.

Last edited:

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Advice sought.
OK so the motherboard came as a bundle with the processor (Gigabyte AX370-Gaming K5 Motherboard with Ryzen 7 1800X Processor Bundle).
That exact motherboard is almost unobtainable now, Amazon have but it's £180.
Surely can do a more up-to-date equivalent, for less now?
As long as it's at least a feature match, what's recommended?
To be used with a Ryzen 1/2/3 & GIGABYTE AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme 11Gb for video/photo/3D CAD, and internet/typical WP. With several internal SATA/external USB3 drives.

Expansion / Connectivity​

Interfaces1 x LAN (Gigabit Ethernet) ¦ 6 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ¦ 1 x PS/2 keyboard / mouse ¦ 1 x audio line-in - mini-jack ¦ 1 x audio line-out - mini-jack ¦ 1 x microphone - mini-jack ¦ 1 x TOSLINK ¦ 1 x USB-C Gen2 ¦ 3 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 ¦ 1 x HDMI ¦ 1 x audio line-out (center/subwoofer) - mini-jack ¦ 1 x audio line-out (rear) - mini-jack
Internal Interfaces4 x USB 2.0 - header ¦ 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 - header ¦ 1 x audio - header ¦ 1 x SPDIF out - header ¦ 1 x serial - header
Expansion Slots1 x CPU ¦ 4 x DIMM 288-pin ¦ 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 mode (x8 mode if neighbour x16 slot is occupied)) ¦ 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x8 mode) ¦ 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode (x2 mode if PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots is occupied)) ¦ 3 x PCIe 2.0 x1
Storage InterfacesSATA-600 -connectors: 8 x 7pin SATA, 2 x SATA Express port - RAID 0 / RAID 1 / RAID 10 ¦ SATA-600 / PCIe 3.0 -connectors: 1 x M.2
Power Connectors24-pin main power connector, 8-pin ATX12V connector

Specs:

Supports AMD Ryzen™ & 7th Generation A-series / Athlon™ Processors

Dual Channel Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4, 4 DIMMs

Turbo B-Clock, Built-in Advanced Performance Tuning IC

Fast 4 USB 3.1 Gen 2 with USB Type-C™ and Type-A

2-Way CrossFire™/SLI™ Multi-Graphics Support with Dual Armor and Ultra Durable™ Design

Ultra-Fast PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 with PCIe NVMe & SATA mode support

ALC 1220 120dB SNR HD Audio with Smart Headphone Amp

Intel® Gigabit LAN with cFosSpeed Internet Accelerator Software

USB DAC-UP 2 & 2 Front USB 3.0 Ports with Adjustable Voltage

RGB FUSION with Multi-Zone LED Light Show design

Swappable Overlay for Accent LED

Smart Fan 5 features 6 Temperature Sensors and 5 Hybrid Fan Headers

GIGABYTE™ UEFI DualBIOS™

APP Center Including EasyTune™ and Cloud Station™ Utilities

* Quick AM4 Overclocking Guide.

YOUR GAME. YOUR WAY.

AORUS' motherboards boast the most advanced LED system in the market today. With more customizability than ever and a convenient and intuitive UI thanks to the RGB Fusion App, you'll have a blast making your AORUS your own. LED enthusiasts now have even more options with the ability to customize multiple zones independently. For a more functional use, the bright and vibrant LEDs can be configured to display the PC's temperature or load. For even more LED goodness RGBW strips are now supported for more true and vibrant whites.

Multi-Zone Light Show Design

16.8M RGB Colors

2 Light Zones

7 Different Lighting Effects

2 RGB & RGBW Light Strip Pin Headers

Accent LED with Interchangeable Overlay

Advanced Mode for Extreme Customizability

Lighting zone, programmable sections, wave mode may vary by model.

Last edited:

SyStemDeMoN

Sounds like the PSU has taken the mobo with it as least.
This is not good as it of damaged everything.

jimscreechy

Sorry should have said earlier. You can get PSU testers for about £10-£20 which would tell you if your PSU is working. You may not use it often but it could save you money in event you get a situation like yours and you don't know what the faulty component is.

It certainly sounds like your motherboard has gone thought you still don't really know if it was the PSU that caused it, but at least you have a new PSU now.

Hope you can get another one to replace it though perhaps it may not be cost effective to do that now without a CPU upgrade

nvingo

Distinguished Member
A replacement board is on order. Auction timing determined that of a used K5 or unused K7, it is the K7 which should be here soon.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Sorry should have said earlier. You can get PSU testers for about £10-£20 which would tell you if your PSU is working
Do you have a multi-meter to check output on the PSU leads?
I have just bought a 'PSU tester' and yes, I have access to a multimeter.
Both of those will only confirm the PSU is now working; neither will diagnose that the PSU was once in a state to kill other components.
CMOS battery?
I wondered! Just seems strange the PC was left on overnight but found off and dead in the morning.
Something I can still look at.
it may not be cost effective to do that now without a CPU upgrade
Either board should take an AM4 processor up to at least Ryzen series 3; it's a Ryzen 7 1800X that was bundled with the K5 MB but a Ryzen 7/9 3xxx might be a future consideration - I don't currently need the extra power.
A replacement board is on order. Auction timing determined that of a used K5 or unused K7, it is the K7 which should be here soon.
The K7 board (opened packet but allegedly unused - accessories still packed) is installed and...this post typed up using the now functioning PC. £110 for an improved PSU and £90 for a 'superior' but similar MB. Must consider that if I weren't a bit PC literate, the original build/purchase would have cost more, and taking it for diagnosis/repair would also have a higher cost.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier