1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 x Cyrus Smart Powers or Rotel 1075 power amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Brad_Porter, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guy's,

I have a choice for powering my system. 3 x Cyrus Smart Powers or the Rotel 1075 5 channel power amp.

There is a price difference with the cyrus kit (however will get the whole lot of under £1,500) but money does not always talk and I will pay more if the cyrus is a whole stack better.

My speakers are 4-6Ohm loads (M&K S-85) so thats should be a consideration.

So there we go, what way would you go? I am going to Demo but need some pre-requisite info from you knowledge bugs.

If you can recommends any thing else doe the £1,000 - £1500 mark as well (if the above too are not quite to the standard) then feel free to speak!

Thanks.

Brad

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    How about the Rotel RMB1095 or 3x Rotel RB1080 if you want more power than supplied by the RMB1075. I'm not saying how they would compare to the Cyrus - just pointing out the options.

Also - though its slightly more than your budget ... there's the Arcam P8. Other thoughts, a couple of Arcam P25 3channel amps or secondhand Byrston, Krell or Parasound.

Vikki

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Actually Vikki it's the Arcam P7 (7 x 150W into 8 ohms) :)

Brad - you may also wish to consider 2 x Arcam P85/3 amps (6 x 100 WPC into 8 ohms) which together are just under £1500 list. These are IMHO better sounding than the alternatives you are looking at but of course you would need to audition them to see if you agree. If you only wanted 5 channels then a P85 and P85/3 would come to about £1270 list.

Good luck in your search.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brad,
    don't you already have a 3 channel P25?
    Why not get another, or are you not satisfied with your current one?

5. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evil Mudge and John,

I do have a 3 channell P-25 but was under the impression that the products I am reviewing (which includes Johns P-85 now) would be an mprovement on the power and dynamics of my sound.

Am I wrong chaps?

Regards,
    Brad?

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    ooops :blush:

I would use the excuse that the 7 is right next to the 8 ... but no-one would belive me ... yes of course its the P7.

Vikki

7. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I'd check the Cyrus smart powers with your M&Ks... i run 5 of their older Powers and they used to cut-out when driving my 753s hard, until i PSXrd them. I think this was addressed with the SmartPower but might worth checking.

8. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have some resevations for the Cyrus. A recent call to them didnt make me feel the most confident that these little babies would be OK pushed hard for long - especially without the PSX. I mut admit, the Rotel does sound like a safer option in terms of power to drive the system. However, the trade off may be sound muscle over sound quality ......

9. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Brad

Give the Rega Maia 3 amps a listen.

I recently had a demo using Arcam 88 and Tag DVD, Tag AV192, Arcam P7 and Rega Exon (Mono version of the Maia ). Speakers were Dynaudio Confidence C1 (4 Ohm) and Kef Reference 203 (8 Ohm but dip to 3.2 Ohms).

The Rega was a step up from the P7, it opened up the soundstage and made things easier to follow.

I am going to compare the Rega's vs Cyrus (Smartpower + PSX) vs Arcam (A85/3, P35/3) when I get time. The guy at the shop rates the new Rega's highly. I am considering 3 x Exon, 2 x Maia 3.

I like the flexibility of multiple amps vs one box. More cables etc but each amp has a dedicated power supply and upgrading is easier.

Have fun listening.

Gus

10. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    With the PSX i've never had a problem, but without, when driving the 753s hard the Cyrus Powers would occasionally trip out. It wasn't a problem i often had with DVD but with music it was noticeable. The middle section of Cold November Rain always tripped the amp out at high volume.
    I think it was a known issue with the Cyrus3/Cyrus Power generation of amps...i seem to recall it's in the Cyrus FAQ on their web site. That said, i did think it was fixed, and that the Smart Powers were much more robust.

11. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

It might be worth looking at the Roksan Caspian AV5 for £1000. Although it's only rated at 80Wx5 these rating are quite conservative and it has lots of current.

Regards,

Jules.

12. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Having just seen an Arcam set up with a A85 and P85 to bi amp a speaker set up, I went to get a little demo of my own.

Credit where it's due, I was impressed by these Arcam amps. Very good indeed. It starts you off on the multi channel, bi amping route very easily indeed.:)

They also have a very good rack presence. I believe on looks alone Arcam kit is very nice and swish.

Note though, I haven't heard Cyrus stuff. However, I don't think I'd be inclined to after that. Really, unless you want humungous power at your disposal, you won't go wrong with the P85.

13. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    the new parasound halo looks quite tasty with thx ultra 2 and balanced inputs for only £1750! 125Wx5, shame they don't do a 7ch version or i would have one! i like the cyrus stuff, my m&k 125 seemed to run fine off my old cyrus 5 integrated, although that isnt quite the same as the smart powers

14. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Brad,

Within the last few months we have tried all of the amplification

you are considering with most of the M&K range including the

superb S-85's.

I have put Cyrus smartpowers into protection with S-85's

and S-125's (driving them pretty hard, not using PSX-R) these are

great amps, but if owned S-85's i would be auditioning the Arcam

and Rotel amplification you have mentioned.

Good Luck.