3 x 10m HDMI's or 1 x HDMI & Switch?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by SeanCorky, Mar 1, 2013.

1. SeanCorky

SeanCorky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am currently mounting my TV in a false chimney breast which means i will have my Sky HD box, Bluray & CCTV in a cupboard under the stairs.

I will be able to run cables in the studwall & ceiling.

The question is, should i run multiple (3) HDMI's (Ivuna 10m from UKHDMI) or run 1 HDMI with a HDMI under the cupboard?

I am looking at buying a Logitech Harmony 900 with RF to control my STB's, would this control a HDMI switch through IR blaster?

Thanks for the help...

:lease:

2. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Switch box definitely but will you be adding an audio upgrade any time soon?
    Most basic AV receivers will do the switching for you so you can just run 1 cable from that to the TV.

3. SeanCorky

SeanCorky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply, thats a good point actually.

I was thinking of an audio upgrade but didn't want the expense at the moment so i was going to run speaker cables to the relevant positions.

I'm not sure how well the Teac AG-D200 goes down on here as it is only entry level but if its only £100~120 i may buy one now and buy the speakers later.

I think i'll definitely buy 1 HDMI cable for now, the money i'd spend on 3 (or maybe 4 so i have one spare) would pay for the AG-D200.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,497
    Keep in mind HDMI cables can be prone to physical failure so where possible run the cable in or next to a conduit (with installed pull cord) to facilitate simple cable replacement or run 2x CAT6 alongside the 10m cable as a backup plan.

An HDM Switch with Auto Source selection may simplify things – if you prefer to always use the Harmony then ensure the Switch you go with has Discrete codes for each Input rather than a simple Next, Next toggle.

Ours have Auto Source selection and Discrete IR codes - Media Factory - Octava HDS3-UK, 3x1 HDMI switch

Joe