3 way rocker switch help

HDPete

Novice Member
Hi guys,

I've got a 3 way rocker switch but I can't find a single gang enclosure that it will fit in.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a single gang width 3 way switch to control the up ./ down of the PJ?

Thanks.
 

ReTrO

Well-known Member
What make is the switch?

We occasionally use MK switches at work and these will fit happily into most 30mm ish backboxes. I think the ones we use are along the lines of the Logic Plus, with a grid system.
 

HDPete

Novice Member
Its made by Vimar (Italian)

My electrician has put a deep backbox in, it's a suitable face plate that I need.

I can't find one anywhere.

He's sourced a brass rope edged 3 way switch with OFF in the middle position - this is ideal - I dread to think what he'll charge me though..

Any ideas on suitable facias?
 

wookieman

Active Member
I've just had this same problem, I bought a standard wall switch blanking plate (cost about a quid) and then carefully drilled & filed a hole in it to suit my switch, took around 2 hours since the material the blank plate is made of is rather easy to chip or shatter.

I then just superglued the switch to the cover and packed behind the switch to the back of the box with plastic so I can't push the switch into the box and it takes the load off the glue.

So far 2 days and it's fine.
 

HDPete

Novice Member
I've tried the blanking plate method - but I got through 2 x so far and with no success - they break easilly don't they!!
 

ReTrO

Well-known Member
Are you using a brass front plate? That shouldn't fall apart easily.
 

wookieman

Active Member
Originally posted by dslpete
I've tried the blanking plate method - but I got through 2 x so far and with no success - they break easilly don't they!!

Yeap they're easy to break, I masking taped the front and marked out my hole, then I drilled a series of 3/32" holes nearly touching each other just inside the lines (just enough pressure to make the drill bit cut). Using a pair of snips i cut away the bits between the holes from the inside of the cover until the middle section was free. Finally I very carefully clamped it in a vice between to pieces of wood with only about 1/16" showing above the wood and filed it to my lines. Like I said I took me over two hours but the results are worth it.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom