1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Way Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MAParker, Sep 23, 2005.

1. MAParker

MAParker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have an enquiry which I hope you will be able to help me with. The company I work for have a need to project an image onto three walls in a cube shaped room. I hope the crude diagram I have linked to below will help explain better than words. The image will be identical on each wall.

My question is whether it is possible to project this using a single projector via the use of a lens attachment (e.g. three way prism) or not and if so possible costs/suppliers/etc.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian Parker

Crude Image

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I haven't a clue if this is possible, but if it's a room you need people to walk into you there will be complications with people walking into the projected beam. Due to keystone issues the beam would need to originate from the centre point, or need to have a lens that specifically allows for the offset angle etc. I would imagine if you could get a lens made up it would be more expensive than just getting three projectors!

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I think that splitting the image 3 ways would also cause potential issues of low brightness unless you used a PJ which was a real light cannon...PJ

4. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can't be done from one source except by using probably a couple of prisms and front surfaced curved mirrors to eliminate the keystoning.

Cheaper and better to buy 3 PJs and a DA to split the signal, more redundancy as well.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello Adrian

Like most things if you have the money and the time to get it right I've no doubt you can do this - though with the price of Data projectors now starting as low as £500.00 and a 1:3 Distribution Amp again from a few hundred pounds it makes much more sense to use three projectors to achieve what you require (in fact you'd purchase four projectors and keep one as a spare).

Anyone taking on a design study for you will require a bit more info about the signal, room size, image size, access, life cycle etc.

If your looking to project a single 'image' that wraps around the three walls and not three times the same image then your Tech Design company will have to work with your Content Producers to agree on a practical solution - you can use professional DVD players that are controlled by a controller with Frame accurate synchronisation to keep three (or more) players Frame Locked. Your Production company will break your 'image' down into three panels and record each panel to a separate disc.

Some of the Panasonic DLP Installation Projector range have In-Built edge blending and Multi Screen formatting technology ((PT-D7700 + PT-DDW700) and it may even be possible to set up a 1x3 wide screen image without anything external or extra Production work.

I'd have to have a good read through the specs to confirm what they can achieve - its pretty powerful and works very well.

These are not your entry level models mind - though they are designed for 24/7/365 day operation with very low running costs and low life time costs; they are higher cost than similar light output LCD to begin with though they have a much longer expected service life so work out much less expensive in the long run.

Best regards

Joe

Best regards

Joe